In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is America Losing Faith?

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Columbia (WLTX) - It's a priority many put high on their list, but is the Christian faith losing ground in America?

A recent in-depth survey suggests it is, and that more people see themselves as "nothing," or without any religion.

The new American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) says the percentage of people who call themselves Christians has dropped by 10% in a generation. Specifically, in 1990 the survey found 86% of people who said they were Christian. That's compared to 76% in 2008. Further, those without any religion grew from 8% to 15% in that time.

From the shores of South Carolina to the coast of California and all the land in between, Christianity is a belief in which a majority of Americans put their faith. "Jesus Christ is God's son. He was crucified, died, buried and resurrected," said Bethel AME's Associate Pastor Betty Wannamaker.

But it is also within these borders that the tide is changing.

"There's a movement going on. It's an intellectual movement. It's a social movement, and it's a rejection of religion really," said atheist Andrew Cederdahl.

WLTX sat down with Andrew Cederdahl and three other USC students who are all part of an organized group on campus called the Pastafarians. They each have a couple of things in common.

"I was raised in a Christian home," said Josh Streetman.

Each was brought up to believe hope is found in Jesus. Some even attended Christian high schools.

"I had to go to chapel every week, and you just follow along," said Andrew Morency.

Yet along the way, after searching for answers about what God meant to them, they now believe Christianity is false. And three out of the four of them say so is the idea of God.

"I read the bible, and it didn't make sense," said Matt Suvem.

"About in high school I started looking at text and really looking at beliefs that I was supposedly having. I came to the conclusion that they are not my own. I became an atheist," said Cederdahl.

Andrew, Andrew, Josh, and Matt say their group, the Pastafarians represent non-religious, like-minded people.

"More people feel comfortable saying they are atheist or agnostic," said Streetman.

The American Religion Identification Survey backs up those claims. Here in South Carolina only 3% of people stated no religious preference in 1990. Now the "nones" have grown to make up 10% of the state.

We talked to United Methodist Pastor Todd Davis about the numbers. "I think what we see in society today is a result of Christians being apathetic and complacent and not seeing it as their responsibility to not only raise their own children to trust in Christ, but to make a difference in their schools and their workplaces," said Davis.

Not only are more claiming to have no religion, many fewer are claiming Christianity. The percentage of Christians in our state has dropped from 88% in 1990 to 73% now.

"By all means I think we have less moral values. I think we are less of a Christian culture at this time. Does it worry me? It concerns me," said pastor Wannamaker.

Many Christians believe it's a wake-up call. Last week, thousands gathered to pray all across the country on the National Day of Prayer.

"I think we've lost sight of why we're here, and what we're doing, and what our purpose is in life. Tonight we're kind of humbling ourselves and praying that we'll go back to our maker," said Christian Allyson Sutton last Thursday.

"If we are not living out our lives as Christians and letting others see the power of God living in us, what is there to attract them to church or to being a Christian?" said pastor Davis.

"Christians don't really know what they believe nor do they care to find out what they believe," said Streetman.

Still, Christians passionate about their faith aren't giving up. They believe it's simply another reason to hold strong to their beliefs. "God is who He is and He is in control," said Wannamaker

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    natural response to being in a church going environment composed of hypocrites.....
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    THats true spas. Some hypocrites believe in God and go to church. Some dont. Which group are YOU in[?]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We talked to United Methodist Pastor Todd Davis about the numbers. "I think what we see in society today is a result of Christians being apathetic and complacent and not seeing it as their responsibility to not only raise their own children to trust in Christ, but to make a difference in their schools and their workplaces," said Davis.

Wrong! People are just becoming more intelligent now.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,027 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

That's good. It's never too late to become more intelligent.
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    footlong

1672 Posts
    Posted - 05/13/2009 : 08:11:55 AM

THats true spas. Some hypocrites believe in God and go to church. Some dont. Which group are YOU in
    Neither footlong.

You don't loose faith, it's a gift from God. Attendance at
    church is no measure of faith.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The religious leaders are upset, not because people are giving up on
    FAITH, but because they are losing a big portion of their financial base..[}:)]Do you think for one minute while those huge churches and those televangilist are counting their money they give a damn about you or anyone else??
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a lot easier to live without any kind of accountability than it is to think that you will have to give an account of your actions. It is as simple as that.
    edited November -1
    So you think people that dont believe in some Diety dont have a sense of responsibility?? You couldnt be further from the truth..[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    So you think people that dont believe in some Diety dont have a sense of responsibility?? You couldnt be further from the truth..[:(]

I said accountability, not responsibility. I have no doubt that you are a nice guy who pays his bills, treats his family and friends good, and is a respectable member of society. I wish we lived closer so that you could beat me at shooting skeet or we could grill some steaks.
    edited November -1
    Responsibility and accountablility.. they go hand in hand. .There has to be a reason for Religion to be losing ground, not just in this country but world wide..
    I personally believe that if people would drop all the religious pretense and actually work at doing good for mankind this world would be a better place.
    edited November -1
    I guess that's a no on the cookout invite? [;)]
    edited November -1
    Any time you get to Florida, you are welcome in my home.. We have a great shooting club as you know, that I am an Instructor and Range officer for.so all shooting would be on me... C'Mon down anytime..[:D]
  • robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1.4 million abortions per year is "responsibility". Later, they will have to take "accountability" for their actions.....
    edited November -1
    robbie penny: And just who are these 1.4 million people getting abortions?? Seems if 76 percent of the nation professes to be christian, percentages would say many are those professing.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....[:0]
    edited November -1
    robbie penny: And just who are these 1.4 million people getting abortions?? Seems if 76 percent of the nation professes to be christian, percentages would say many are those professing.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....[:0]

i dont know who they are. but it seems you would take pleasure in them being christians. you are hateful. i am not.
    edited November -1
    Not really hateful, those are your words.. I look at things with reality, not rose colored glasses. Sorry..I know it is a hard pill to swallow that "Christians" are more guilty than most of the heathens.

What is that about throwing stones????

When one speaks out the truth, the "Christians" always cry persecution..Why is that???[:(][:(]

When someone doesnt agree with your beliefs they are HATEFULL, That is Typical of the religious to assume that,, Why is that???[:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    If one is responsible what is there to be accountable for?????
    edited November -1
    If one is not responsible then hold them accountable for their lack of responsibility.. Hand in hand.. But one doesnt need a Diety to tell them of their responsibilities, and Society holds people accountable for their irresponsible actions..
    edited November -1

I sure wish I was half as smart as you P3...just think about what I could accomplish if I combined that with my faith in Jesus Christ![;)]

Actually, quite to the contrary, I can do nothing outside of Christ.[:)]
    edited November -1
    Not really hateful, those are your words.. I look at things with reality, not rose colored glasses. Sorry..I know it is a hard pill to swallow that "Christians" are more guilty than most of the heathens.

What is that about throwing stones????

When one speaks out the truth, the "Christians" always cry persecution..Why is that???[:(][:(]

When someone doesnt agree with your beliefs they are HATEFULL, That is Typical of the religious to assume that,, Why is that???[:(][:(]

i disagree completly. however, i dont find a "debate" with you to be meaningful.
  • B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I dont have a problem believing those numbers at all.
    We live in a country with nearly 280 million people. If 76% profess to be christian that leaves 24% who admittadely are not! 24 percent leaves around 67,200,000!!! If only a quarter of them were at least tennage females or older, who could conceive and then terminate the pregnency thats 16,800,000.
    It really doesnt seem that unlikely that 1.4 million abortions could come from 16 million non-christian women of age!!

Not to mention, it has been my experience that alot of people say they are something that they are not. If some of the abortions came from the 76% who claim to be christians, but really are not....the numbers become even more believable.
    edited November -1
    robbie penny: quote:i disagree completly. however, i dont find a "debate" with you to be meaningful.

That is pretty typical of a reaction, "It isnt what I believe so therefor you are wrong" YEP Typical BS...

You havent got the ability to "Debate", Its your way or no way which is typical of the thumpers..

Barzilla,, The standard I use is the same standard you use only I dont need a Diety to tell me..Society sets the standard of Morals, by mans laws, What is moral in some societies, may not be moral in others..Each society has a different standard.. And a lot of them differ by which different God they chose to believe in.
    edited November -1
    I guess none of us actually lives up to the standard we should..DO you??[;)]

I know a lot of people that preach standards, but dont practice them.[:0], I think it is called Hypocricy..[;)]

hypocracy::::
    Demanding that others live up to standards that you will not live up to.
    edited November -1
    My accountability is mine,, I am accountable to myself,, I dont need a Diety or anyone to tell me what is right or wrong.Society and its laws usually keep a moral person moral. I personally think anyone that needs someone or a diety to tell them right from wrong is lacking somewhere if they cant determine for themselves ..[:(]

What is it with you over here in GD, Politics too boring now???[}:)][}:)][;)][;)]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

I sure wish I was half as smart as you P3...just think about what I could accomplish if I combined that with my faith in Jesus Christ![;)]

Actually, quite to the contrary, I can do nothing outside of Christ.[:)]

So you have no responsibility, your life is in gods hands? So who is responsible for your screw ups?
    edited November -1
    I am sure there is a bit of a hypocrite in all of us. Just some people are more so than others. We heathens admit that we are heathen.[}:)][:D][;)][;)]
  • justusnospamjustusnospam Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic, you anywhere near Belle Glade?
    edited November -1
    "How did you arrive at such a place ? There is no one that I have ever met that could make such a claim"

Her name was Ayn Rand
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Faith, to me, has nothing to do with going to a box to pray in front of people. Churches generally suck and are full of people who do exactly the opposite of what christians are supposed to do.

Don't give money to the church. Give your time and fellowship to your fellow man.

The pro israel propaganda that has infiltrated churches for years now really made people run to the hills.

The whole church network needs to revamp. Their goal is to educate, not collect taxes and promote Israel.
    edited November -1
    I have no Idea where Belle Glade is..
    edited November -1
    on the south side of lake okeechobee
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2 cents and I am sure it ain't worth more then that. But I agree with those who say it is the culture of the "church" that turns some folks off, not necessary faith in Christ. I have faith and believe, but I have no need for a church after some of the shenanigans I saw happening inside its doors where I atteneded.