In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone lose weight and hair at the same time?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
I started to lose weight about September (I was about 330-ish) and by January I was at 250. Now I'd say about October or November I started to lose my hair (mostly on top). I thought I was just being rough with the brush since that had wads. Now about December I noticed the top of my head was really thin but hair was regrowing. Today I basically have a mullet[:D] (I'm bringing it back in style, baby).

So basically I was wondering dropping the weight caused my hair to fall out? And why my back hair didn't[:D] still fuzzy there. Also about that time I was having leg cramps and I was drinking more water as well as fizzy water (Calistoga). That makes me wonder if the ground water they used got contaminated? It's been wierd.

Also how funny most people commented on me losing the weight but not my hair[:D]. So what's y'alls think?

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was probably just time to lose your hair. However since you were losing weight and didn't say how, dieting maybe, you could have started losing hair from malnutrition. Of course that generally wouldn't lead to pattern baldness, but if you were predisposed it could start there. Since you mentioned leg cramps which indicated a possible electrolyte imbalance that is another indicator that you are under nourished. A weight lose diet must still have adequate nutrition if one is to remain healthy.

Of course you could have been having leg cramps from exercise, eating great, and mother nature just wants your hair back.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    YEAH, it just means that youre fat and old![:D]
    OR, you might have a thyroid problem.
    ask your doctor to check it.
    just my 2c
    tom
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I gained weight when I lost hair
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your pulse, you might be dead and not know it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a medical condition called "telogen effluvium".

Its a condition where baldness (fortunately temporary) is caused by emotional or metabolic stress knocking your hair follicles out of "cycle". And there is a delay between when the stress happens and when the hairs fall out.

Losing 80 pounds could probably do it.

Unfortunately, this sort of hair loss is usually diffuse. Losing hair on top but keeping the hair in the back is more typical of "androgenetic" or "pattern" baldness.

To be blunt, that's the old-man donut head, and it doesn't usually come back, though the drug propecia can stop the process from getting worse.

If you really care, its possible to tell one condition from the other by scalp skin biopsy. But if the hair is growing back, I certainly wouldn't bother.

EDIT:
    Personally, I have having just the opposite problem.
    I keep gaining weight and losing hair! [:(][:(][;)]
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started working out and dropping weight in November. So far I am down 24 pounds. I am happy to report I still have all my hair.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hair has weight.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't go on any diet. If anything I was eating the same if not more and worse (I still eat like I did in high school). Just drank more water, tea, sodas just because I had bad leg cramps (multiple times a night for weeks). Now the leg cramps are gone and it's been couple months since I had them.

Could my large liquid intake sped up my metabolism which inadvertently made me lose weight? Also I've cut back on tea and water intake. I was told tea was a diuretic which might've caused my leg cramps. Like SCOUT5 mentiond electrolyte imbalance but I drank Gator-Ade to counter that.

The hair's growing back so it's not going bald (I'm sure Gallagher said the same thing[:D]).

Exercise? If curling beers and sodas considered exercise, then yeah[:D].

beantownshootah - That metabolism thing sounds plausible. I think my head going white would've been cooler, though. Well actually losing hair in winter is also cool (as in cold[:D]).

tplumeri - I was Fat[:D]. But I suppose I am still old[:D]. I'm losing about 2 pounds a week (without Jenny Craig or exercise) and I'm still drinking beers and sodas with real corn syrup.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Dramatic weight loss for no apparent reason is often a symptom of an underlying problem. 80 pounds in the span of 5 months is 'dramatic'. Many cancers manifest themselves this way before any other symptoms show. Hair loss is also a symptom of other problems.

I would suggest getting checked out by a qualified doctor.

+1 If your not doing anything to lose the weight then you have a problem!
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:OR, you might have a thyroid problem.
    ask your doctor to check it.

this is one of the few times I've repeated myself.
    Its a simple blood test.
    tom
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to a doctor. Seriously if you haven't seen a doctor go as soon as possible. Unexplained weight loss of 80 pounds needs to be evaluated. Does diabetes run in your family?

Scout
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy I work with lost about 35-40 lbs. over a 4 month time frame without trying. Turned out he was diabetic....
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    If you have been drinking more liquids because of excessive thirst,this is also a symptom of diabetes.Go to a doctor!
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Protein. Your not getting your protein and vitamins. It often happens to people who have gastric bypass. They lose weight rapidly and lose their hair. Take a supplemental vitamin and eat better foods.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by old single shots
    If you have been drinking more liquids because of excessive thirst,this is also a symptom of diabetes.Go to a doctor!

+1

happened to a few dozen people i know
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marie Antoinette did.

Clouder..
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    could be stress related, or a simple hormone imbalance. thyroid, or even pituatary gland out of wack. that being said it unfortunately could be a sign of something worse. best advice is to have a session with your docter. explain everything that is going on. i would be surprised if doc didnt run a complete metabolic panel on ya.

good luck. hopefully its nothing to give concern.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Dramatic weight loss for no apparent reason is often a symptom of an underlying problem. 80 pounds in the span of 5 months is 'dramatic'. Many cancers manifest themselves this way before any other symptoms show. Hair loss is also a symptom of other problems.

I would suggest getting checked out by a qualified doctor.

And as soon as possible
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    If you weren't trying to lose weight, it's time to see a sawbones.

Best of luck.

Please keep us informed of your outcome.

You may need the strength of the Group behind you.

Doug

* spelling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll get on that. Diabetes, Cancer and basically the majors.

I haven't missed any time so no alien probes. Besides we all know they like them white folks[:D]. And an occasional "brotha" but always a white folk was with them.

Also what the hell is "sawbones"?
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hair loss is a transient effect of any quick loss of a large amount of weight such as in gastric bypass surgery.

It will be resolved when nutrition and weight stabilize. When hair begins falling out, you might find a vitamin specifically formulated for building healthy hair such as Silica Complex by Puritan's PrideO. It contains calcium, magnesium, zinc, boron, betaine and horsetail extract. Consumption of this supplement almost immediately retards hair loss. If you have had gastric bypass you will need to continue taking this supplement throughout your life.

Hair loss usually occurs in the fourth of fifth month following weight loss surgery. During the phase of rapid weight loss, caloric intake is marginal. This puts the body in a state of panic called starvation. Think about the pictures of prisoners of war. Most victims of this atrocity are without hair because they are literally starving to death. A healthy body normally sheds ten percent of hair follicles at any given time. When a body is starving roughly thirty to forty percent of hair follicles are sacrificed as the body channels nutrition to more vital areas. During this phase hair loss is dramatic; often patients find clumps of hair on the shower floor.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    "Sawbones" is a euphamism for a person who performs an amputation. In earlier times, a usual treatment for injury. Nowadays, it means "Doctor". Ever wonder why the Dr on Star trek was called "bones"? Thats why. Knowing stuff like this is the only upside to being really old. [:)]

Get to a Doctor. Make the phone call tomorrow morning. Tell them exactly what you said here. You won't wait long for an appointment. A lot of things could be causing the situation(s) you describe. It might be nothing, but it might be something. Find out.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    You really do need to have some tests. Do you have dry skin, too? In my case it was an underactive thyroid, simple to treat. But this is not really the place for medical advice. Get to the Dr. and have him run some simple tests, then you'll know. Please don't put it off. You will feel better when you know.
    Good luck,
    Tom
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Its quite normal , as you probably lost weight very sudden or a little too quickly, its the system that goes into a mild shock mode. You will regain your hair, keep a healthy diet ,small portions, less the calories.
    Well done on the weight loss.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow.
    I was "330ish", lost 140 lbs in a little over a year- but I was trying to lose weight. Never lost hair while dropping weight. Would have loved to lose 80 lbs doing nothing- but it seems to me doing so would indicate something wrong, probably the hair loss is related to that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Manyguns - Funny you mentioned dry skin. My finger tips were rough, cracked and even bled a little. I just thought it was winter dry skin. Now it's been couple of months since my finger prints returned and just a cracked spot on my thumb (the bad one).
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    Yes, dry skin and hair loss is a symtom of an underactive thyroid. I've been taking the little pink pills for about 3 years. They take care of the problem. Any problems with low energy levels? Check it out.
    Tom
  • Options
    jennifer8055jennifer8055 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to be pretty obese and started putting on a lot of weight especially on my thighs and bottom in my late thirties. I started exercising as often as possible and also cut down on a lot of high calorie stuff. Unfortunately I hardly managed to lose much weight at all. I then recently read an article by a lady who claimed that she managed to lose nearly half of her weight using a particular weight loss supplement. I tried it out and it actually worked quite well. Within 4 months I managed to lose about 65 pounds. The results were pretty amazing and I feel so much healthier and energetic now. You can read more about the lady's article at

http://www.obesityzapped.com