In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help a challenged old guy with pc ?

aka rottenaka rotten Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
A little screen keeps poppin up on my pc latly,Says not enough storage to complete this action,[this time few min.s ago when avast was trying to download new version it says] noticed it a few times on other things latly.I defraged it and it said it didnt need it also ran cc cleaner,dont know what else to do.Its a 2002 mod pc is it dead or salvageable?Thanks,Paul

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    run the defrag anyway, its default at 20% it may be at only 19%, anyway do a clean up as well, your hard drive is just getting full, consider getting rid of some files, and getting a second or larger hard drive
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like you have used up too much storage with pictures, music, games or other downloaded media. either add an external hard drive, add more memory, or delete stuff you dont need anymore and run your defragger again.

easiest thing is put your music or pics on data cds or external hard drive and delete the stuff on your computer, then ran defrag again.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    clear out all history, and temp files,, free up some space..
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it me or is there an echo in here? [:)]
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I suggest you go through and clean out your cookies on drive "C" many folks just build up page after page and they can be a problem too.

Check you document files and look at the size of each file you are storing. Consider dumping the videos and files that are in the 1 mb range or larger.

Do a disk cleanup on a regular basis, a defrag weekly since you are loaded up with goodies in your hard drive. You did not give us the size of your hard drive or ram memory to help us understand storage issues.

Consider getting rid of programs that you do not use often and that are not necessary. You may have many versions of Turbo Tax, Virus software, Google Earth, Etc. They can pack you hard drive and make your PC run like its in quicksand.

Good Luck.
  • aka rottenaka rotten Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Belarc says i have windows xp,147 gigahertz,amd,athlon,128 kilobytes primary memory cache,256 kilobytes secondary memory,cache,Drives,60.03 gigabites usable harddrive capacity,40.14 gigabytes harddrive freespace.That is all french to mebuy yall asked what i had, What is involved with this getting another harddrive ya,ll speak of?Thanks,Paul
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

[:D][:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You probably need more Ram! I bought more last week for mine cause it was doing the same thing. I have a Dell and it had only a 256K Ram, and i upgraded it to a 1 Gig Ram for $58, now it runs much faster!
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Error Message:
    Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

User Action:

Do one of the following, then retry the operation: (1) reduce the number of running programs; (2) remove unwanted files from the disk the paging file is on and restart the system; (3) check the paging file disk for an I/O error; or (4) install additional memory in your system.
  • aka rottenaka rotten Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok I,m gonna ask one more thing as i,m a pc idiot!This secondary harddrive a lot of you say to get,is this something i can just go buy at store or is this a shop install?I,m not afraid to turn a screwdriver but really know nothing bout these things and not sure how to do other suggestions yall gave.My eldest son can do it but he,s about 450 miles away.If it something fairly simple hell i,ll try to be a pc tech at 85 years young!Thanks,Paul
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You can ad memory sticks to most PCs, I think mine cost about 30 bucks each for an upgrade..
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    external hardrive can be bought at any electronics store or heaven forbid, wally world. Just plug it in via usb and transfer the pics and least used files.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

yes you beat me by about a minute, considering it took me a couple of minutes to type well call it an even tie[:D]
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    According to the diagnostics you posted, the hard drive space is not the problem. Over 60% of your hard drive is free space. It is the RAM (Random Access Memory or volatile memory) that is lacking. Take it to a local computer shop, tell them you need a memory upgrade. labor and parts, maybe $50.

Good luck.

For now, you can still use the PC reliably, just don't open 15 programs and leave them open while you work on something else, and NEVER use the XP "Switch User" function. Always LOG OFF the current user and then log in the new user if you share the PC with someone.