In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jury Duty next week

BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
I've got jury duty next Wednesday & Thursday. Do you think if they pick me for a juror that I would be able to have the case tried live here on GB. ???

Comments

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Just read my summons that I put on the fridge so I don't forget it. Monday starts a day from hell.

From the Kentucky website FAQ on jury duty:

quote:Will my employer excuse me from work?
    Employers, by law, must release someone who has been summonsed to jury service from his or her regular work schedule. Employers are not required, however, to compensate individuals for time spent away from regular employment during jury duty. Jurors are compensated $12.50 per day by the state during jury service.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walk in and say "I think he dated my sister and ran....." or say "He did the crime, do the time! GUILTY AS CHARGED, HANG THE MAN!"
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell em' you charge 12.50 an hour to think about if they are in fact innocent or guilty, you charge 12.50 per day to find them all guilty.
    edited November -1
    Gonna go in camo pants tucked into combat boots with an American flag bandanna on my head.

Think I get on any juries?

Maybe I should make it a Confederate Flag...
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    In general, if you have a college degree you will not be accepted. I have been called 3 times, and rejected 3 times. I pulled one of the sheister's aids aside and he said they did not like educated people on juries. Kind of explains a lot...doesn't it?
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, maybe a the camo pants are not such a good idea after all.

I'll plan the wardrobe accordingly this weekend then.

'preciate the heads up.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    In general, if you have a college degree you will not be accepted. I have been called 3 times, and rejected 3 times. I pulled one of the sheister's aids aside and he said they did not like educated people on juries. Kind of explains a lot...doesn't it?

An aide?

Depends on the type of case and what side you are on as to the value of a an educated juror. Remember, there are two sides in eevery case with opposing interests.

Oil field trash.[;)][}:)]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

An aide?

Depends on the type of case and what side you are on as to the value of a an educated juror. Remember, there are two sides in eevery case with opposing interests.

Oil field trash.[;)][}:)]

Not sure what else to call the assistant scum sucking bottom feeder, other then an aide. He was a nerdy little fellow with real bad asthma. I really did not want to be there on a friggin tresspassing case anyhow.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Try sneak a gun in the courthouse. That will get you out of jury duty, out of work and you'll get 3 square meals.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my summons last week, have to go in late june right after a gunshow here. Of course, since i'm a police officer i usually do not get picked, but i have to go sit there for multiple hours anyway to make the defense use their strikes since most defense attorneys do not want my type on their jury.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I was called I told them they
    have no right making me go to court and
    waste a day of my life because someone
    else did something stupid. Judge made
    a threat to toss me in jail but he didn't.
    Defendent's lawyer didn't want me on the jury.
    Don't know why. State lawyer told me to
    please leave. I told the to keep the
    few dollars they pay. I told them I make
    about $62 per hour with bennies and they
    could stick their few dollars where the sun
    don't shine.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    My wife was just selected for jury duty on June 1. She plead the excuse that she home-schooled four children along w/ music lessons on Thurs. my husband works 9 hours a day 5 days a week and cannot watch the kids due to the fact that he is owner/operator and the man said "All excuses aside you are summond to appear!"

Oh well, I guess that is our civil duty.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to pop your bubble, but you got your chain yanked.

He just didn't want to tell you the real reason you were struck and handed you this line so you'd walk away happy.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never been called. Wonder what type of flag they have on me.[:o)]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    primaryfunction-rev4.jpg
    http://fija.org/

As a gun owner, voter, and US citizen, Jury Duty is the one chance you have to personally affect the laws in your state. Get on a gun self defense case as a juror and vote not guilty of all charges. Do not let the judge tell you how you can vote. You can over ride the judges urging to convict someone of a lesser crime.

Read here: http://fija.org/2009/03/17/a-look-at-the-jury-system/

The goal:

Very simply the goal is to get seated. Suppose they pass a law that absolutely forbids the possession of any type of a gun whatsoever. Suppose all the courts and judges are all stacked and beholden to evil. (Is this a big supposition?) Suppose Joe Patriot was found with a gun. Suppose the penalty was death. Suppose you were on the jury and the defendant openly admitted that he had the gun and the facts are beyond dispute. The "Judge" instructs the jury as to what the "current law" is and tells you to apply it to the facts.

Now off you go with eleven Oprah/Jerry Springer drones to the deliberation room. The jury foreman goes through the facts, the law and then you all vote either to acquit or to convict. You are the lone hope for a righteous outcome, the lone hope for justice to prevail. Here is the point of conscience. Here is the point of real power. You can simply vote to acquit and give your fellow jurors no reason at all. Or you could tell them anything they want to hear. Tell them you think Joe Patriot was framed. Tell them you think he was pressured or hypnotized into confessing. Tell them you think he is being drugged by CIA mind control drugs. Whatever you do, don't wave your nullification flag.

You may get tossed from the jury because the judge arbitrarily accuses you of misconduct or of being "tainted." The best bet is to act dumb, and with a glassy eyed stare, say you just have doubts. You may be the lone hope to protect Joe Patriot from life in the gulag.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to make sure that you do not get picked, take a legal pad and 2 pens. And when things get rolling, start writing things down, anything, if it comes to mind, make your grocery list, ammo list, gun want list, things you need to do, just scribble. Act like you are taking notes like it's noones business.

I promise, NEITHER the defense or the Prosecution will want you anywhere near the trial. I think it is because they are affraid you will pay too much attention to detail and they don't want anyone who might pick up on the slightest error that might occure. I don't know that, but I do know I have never been picked.

Works for me everytime.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I don't understand why supposedly flag-waiving "true" Americans try to wriggle, squirm and lie to get out of jury duty.

Is it a PITA? Sure. Does it cost you money? Probably. But it is the basis of our legal system and your DUTY as a citizen of a (supposedly) free nation.

For those who say they shouldn't be bothered because someone else screwed up, what if it is the government that screwed up, and the guy sitting there is perfectly innocent? WHAT IF IT WAS YOU?

True Americans? I don't think so. [:(!]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1

Not sure what else to call the assistant scum sucking bottom feeder, other then an aide. He was a nerdy little fellow with real bad asthma. I really did not want to be there on a friggin tresspassing case anyhow.

Why not call him something really nasty like homosexual oil field scum wife beater?

[:X]
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Why not call him something really nasty like homosexual oil field scum wife beater?

[:X]

Somebody needs a hug.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was called for jury duty once for some reason they did not pick me. 2 blacks raped and killed a white woman with 2 kids and they asked me if i could sentence him to death i told them to leave for 5 minuets we could be done with this today. I never been back since then. That was 10 years ago. At least i was honest.[}:)][}:)][}:)]
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Jury duty is your civic duty. I don't understand why anyone would
    not want to serve. I have a college degree, and have served for
    3 days with 2 trials. One convicted, one exonerated. So what
    if you make 12.50 a day? Take a few vacation days.[:(]
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I've been called three times and never had to serve. I was disappointed - I **wanted** to serve.
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a heads up.When they swear you in,theres only one correct answer " I Will".
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if called finally a chance despite their lawyers shenanigans to find them GUILTY...and stick to it
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,857 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    If you want to make sure that you do not get picked, take a legal pad and 2 pens. And when things get rolling, start writing things down, anything, if it comes to mind, make your grocery list, ammo list, gun want list, things you need to do, just scribble. Act like you are taking notes like it's noones business.

I promise, NEITHER the defense or the Prosecution will want you anywhere near the trial. I think it is because they are affraid you will pay too much attention to detail and they don't want anyone who might pick up on the slightest error that might occure. I don't know that, but I do know I have never been picked.

Works for me everytime.

Funny, I was on a jury about three months ago and they OFFERED us pens and legal pads if we wanted.

I have served on three juries over the years.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been called 3 times, and served 1 1/2 years ago. It was an ADW w/ intent case. Very interesting, eye-opening experience.
  • swillswill Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really don't want to serve on a seated jury, it's very simple. When you show up for jury selection wear your sunglasses indoors at all times. Biker glasses work best. Doesn't matter how you're dressed. Guaranteed you will be dismissed by the prosecuting attorney.
    edited November -1
    You know, it's not really that I do not want to serve. it's the BS that goes with it. Everyone I have talked to about this (serving here) has spent the time at the courthouse and never served on a jury. Just wasted a week of their time. I was told to take several books and the laptop cause 8 hours in the standby room every day feels like an eternity. most of the "justice" is dispensed in the judges chambers with lawyers making deals once people realize "holy hell there actually will be a trial!"

Ok, drobs, I can see your point. Underneath my business casual attire I wear to the appearance, i will put on my CPT America underoos and serve my duty to the fullest extent possible [:D]

and just so all of ya's know, i was just doing some "good natured bitching". if my intent was to "weasel out" I would not have posted here. I'll go down there, do as i need and serve on a jury if called to.

Yes, if it was me on trial for something I would not want a jury of my "peers" to be entirely comprised of barely english-speaking welfare recipients.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I was summoned once and in the summons they explained the dress code.Sat in a Jury room all day 7AM to 6PM after being sworn in and told to wait . They finally came in and said that all people that were being tried, waved trial by jury, and had pled out. What a waste of a day.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been called in my life,......of course I most likely just changed that by posting.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been kicked off of more than I have served on but I have been on four criminal & two civil juries.
    The one I really wanted I got kicked off of after I had been passed over several times. That one was for five counts of murder, rape & sodomy. They said it would last for maybe as long as six months & the Post Office of course would keep paying me. That's why you will almost always see at least one Postal worker on major trials.
    The one that surprised me was a dog bite case. I was sure the insurance guy would boot me after I said I had sued twice for dog bites. (Didn't take us 15 minutes to throw the case out.)
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is our system and without a doubt, it's the best in the world in spite of some flaws. I don't mind when I am called to jury duty. It's both a privilege and a responsibilty. I have been chosen and served on a jury. I have been dismissed. I have sat all day and not been called. I have been selected and then waited all day and been told that a lesser plea was accepted. I do this without complaining because I want that same system behind me should the day come that I or my family find ourselves on the wrong side of johnny law for whatever reason.
    Is it an inconvenience? Yes! Is that reason to complain about the system and feel put upon and try to scam out of it? NO! About every 2 years since I moved here in 1987, I've been called to jury duty. Only once did I asked to be excused. That was because I was still on active duty and was being sent on TAD.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    DO YPUR DUTY !!!
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drobs has the right idea.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mouse
    Blah blah blahblah... 12.50 a day? Take a few vacation days.[:(]

What are vacation days? Is this something I am entitled to but screwed out of?
  • indy_kidindy_kid Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    Try sneak a gun in the courthouse. That will get you out of jury duty, out of work and you'll get 3 square meals.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.

Of course, you meant PRECEDE, as in "the Antichrist will precede (i.e., come before) the TRUE Messiah". "Proceed" means to "go on further".

Nice to know the TRUE BELIEVERS are the most intelligent ones.
    edited November -1
    Gonna cost me $10 a day to park (they do not validate parking for jurors from what I hear) and even if I bring my own lunch I am still "paying" for the privilege it would seem.

Now, as i said, I fully intend to go down there and do my duty. I am still going to * because it will be typical government run operation with lots of wasted time and frustration run by disgruntled government employees that have been there too long to be fired unless they kill someone and leave the body in the lobby for too long.

If I actually get on a case and can do some service to community it will be worth it. Give me a chance to read a book or two.

Using my vacation days for a real vacation. I'll just suck it up on this one as I refuse to let this be my only days away from the office.

I may take my laptop and give you a hour by hour update if I get too bored. no since not sharing the "fun" [:D]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    Gonna cost me $10 a day to park (they do not validate parking for jurors from what I hear) and even if I bring my own lunch I am still "paying" for the privilege it would seem.

Now, as i said, I fully intend to go down there and do my duty. I am still going to * because it will be typical government run operation with lots of wasted time and frustration run by disgruntled government employees that have been there too long to be fired unless they kill someone and leave the body in the lobby for too long.
    If I actually get on a case and can do some service to community it will be worth it. Give me a chance to read a book or two.

Using my vacation days for a real vacation. I'll just suck it up on this one as I refuse to let this be my only days away from the office.

I may take my laptop and give you a hour by hour update if I get too bored. no since not sharing the "fun" [:D]

[:D][:D]
    Funny but true in many cases.

Edit: Try being a contractor and going to building and zoning to pull a permit.[:0]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • indy_kidindy_kid Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    You may be the lone hope to protect Joe Patriot from life in the gulag.

This is known as "jury nullification", and is sometimes used by minorities because they feel THE SYSTEM is unfairly biased against minorities.

Your method would result in a hung jury, a mistrial, and another go-around with a new jury.

It's NOT your duty as a juror to interpret the law as you see fit. If the law says "no guns", and Joe Patriot is caught with a gun, your duty is to enforce the law. Joe goes to jail.

Now, consider this: Joe Porno is caught with kiddie porn. You, being into kiddie porn as well, decide one of your own won't go to prison over some stupid pictures of little kids, so you vote to acquit, despite the LAW. Is that okay?

Ignoring the law for the way you think things should be is not the duty of a juror. If you're not happy with the law, work to have it changed.
    edited November -1
    quote:It's NOT your duty as a juror to interpret the law as you see fit. If the law says "no guns", and Joe Patriot is caught with a gun, your duty is to enforce the law. Joe goes to jail.

Now I gotta disagree with that. It is my duty to use Jury nullification to oppose laws attempting to be enforced that are unconstitutional.

If some minorities manage to abuse this, well, that's sad. But this is a tool the individual has to impose checks and balances on the system. It is not my duty to to be a good communist and convict someone of violating a "law" that is unconstitutional.

And we ain't talking about kiddie porn here, as noted in your example. We are talking about the government violation of constitutional rights.