In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gotta ask a dumb question...

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I see this all the time in flood situations, and not to make light of it as I have been through this myself with about 3 foot of water in my house once. but you see rescue boat pulling up to where there are news reporters/cameras the water has to be less than knee deep, yet they carry folks out, I understand if it was old person or sick or young child, but a normal person, they are in the middle of a flood, can't they get there feet wet again???

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    flood waters are full of nasty things you should avoid touching it at all cost, chemicals and bio hazards

allot of bio hazard facilities in Houston, i have a few friends that are hazmat workers that cleaned up their last flood

edit: longer the wait the worse it gets, from blood pathogens to deadly chemicals get mixed in, one friend had to clean up corpses from morgues to funeral homes, medical waste etc, and everything in the sewers comes up
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flowing water that is knee deep can take your feet from under you. Flowing water greater than axle deep can push a car off a road. And with water the color of chocolate milk, it is impossible to see how deep.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Biohazards and fast flowing water, yes.

Another problem is that you just cant see where you are stepping. Flood water is almost never clear and curbs, holes, submerged things left in yards, uneven ground can all cause one to fall in the water.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would hope most of them have tilt and trim shallow waters I could guess a lot of prop damage
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw on the news tonight where a little old man swamped his big ol' duelly, and some big buff guy picked him up and carried him to dry land. Dry land was about 20 ft. closer than the Camera's but the big boy went straight to them... in ankle deep water!

The old guy had a look on his face like, "Put me the hell down"!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    I saw on the news tonight where a little old man swamped his big ol' duelly, and some big buff guy picked him up and carried him to dry land. Dry land was about 20 ft. closer than the Camera's but the big boy went straight to them... in ankle deep water!

The old guy had a look on his face like, "Put me the hell down"!

[:D]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    flood water bad,,,
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think how much poop is in that water[xx(]
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    I have also heard that cemeteries give up their graves to floods and dead and rotting corpses surface and float in the stench water![:0]
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a rescuer can wade through dirty stinking water to help me I can certainly slosh through it give him grateful thanks.