In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 update and Mag question.

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Well as some of you remember I picked up a Taurus 1911 a couple of weeks ago for dirt cheep at $450 [:D].

Well I got it picked up and have shot it a bit, about 150rds due to lack of spare time. This gun shoots great and will hit what I point it at if I do my part. I love the trigger on this gun. I think I will be trading out the hammer as I prefer the more open style and it will not have the lock in it.

I need some more mags for this gun and I found that is not so cheep even for these. I know cheep and good do not go together. Well I was at one of my favorite shops and he had some Wilson 8rd mags there. He was selling them a $23/ea and said they were used but they look pretty new to me. I picked up 4 so now I have a total of 6 mags for this gun.

He has more there. What kind of deal, if any is $23 for Wilson mags? This is not going to be a carry gun or a SHTF gun I just bought it as another nice gun to have and shoot. How many mags do I need [:)] for it. I keep telling myself that 6 mags is good for a "range" gun but I have a "good deal" and mag fetish so I am having a hard time not picking up the other 10 he has. I guess the 10 mags would offset the good price I got on the gun.

Anyhow here is the part you guy want, pics. Sorry they are not that great but did them in a hurry so I could post this topic with out getting beat for no pics [:D]:

DSC06902.jpg

It does look pretty sharp with the M6 on there:

DSC06905.jpg

Comments

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a good price for the Wilson mags...thats all I use in all of my 1911's, never had a single problem with Wilson mags.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    IMHO the Wilson mags are by far the best mags you can get for a 1911 and at $23 a piece you should by all you can as they normally sell for around $32 new. Even the Kimber Pro Tac mags are not as good as the Wilsons. I leave 3 of my Wilsons loaded 24/7 and have never had a problem with them feeding. No one has ever complained of having too many mags but I'm sure some have complained about not having enough!
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Did you happen to pick this up at Double Eagle in Deer Park? Anyway just curious, as I was looking at one like that there.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mauser54
    Did you happen to pick this up at Double Eagle in Deer Park? Anyway just curious, as I was looking at one like that there.

Nope, I picked it up in Yakima where I work. My buddy does a lot of business with DE. I do most of my business with NW Pawn out on Pines in the Valley. Keith is a great guy.

I am about to take on a job in Deer Park so I am guessing that DE will see a bit of my money assuming they have something I want at the right price when I have money [:D]
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a couple of pawn shops in Yak on the main drag that I've gone into-one of them seems a bit overpriced but the other smaller one always has little treasures and usually always a Remington 700 or two in the rack for a decent price.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    There's a couple of pawn shops in Yak on the main drag that I've gone into-one of them seems a bit overpriced but the other smaller one always has little treasures and usually always a Remington 700 or two in the rack for a decent price.

Yeah there is only 2 shops that I do business with there and one of them has been gone for about 3 years now. The owner retired and moved to MT. The other is one owned buy a guy who's wife is an RN that I work with.

I have stopped by all of the others and either they are WAY over priced or the attitudes suck and I dont spend my money or time in those kind of places.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats a nice piece. i like them too (although i dont have one... yet). im glad to hear you like it. kinda like a product review. i think 5 mags is plenty for a pistol. 10 mags for "assualt" rifles is a nice count [;)]
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I do love the TAURUS PT-1911. Sweet piece. Not a bad price for the mags. They are the best. That's why KIMBER only ships one mag with their pistols. They know Wilson mags are going in them. At least that's what the KIMBER rep told me.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tile King
    thats a nice piece. i like them too (although i dont have one... yet). im glad to hear you like it. kinda like a product review. i think 5 mags is plenty for a pistol. 10 mags for "assualt" rifles is a nice count [;)]

Well you dont want to know how many mags I have for some of my guns then [:D] 10 mags is not even a load out for a .223, 12 mags in a 6 pocket vest and at least 1 in the gun. A .30 cal ammo can nicely holds 14, 20rd AR mags in 2 bandoleers. I have a couple of those and that is just for my target AR [:p]

The only reason I am/was shying away from mags as this is a just for fun gun. With the positive feed back so far I think I am going to have to call the shop in the morning and have him hold them for me till I can get there again.

BTW I dont know about you but I dont have any guns that have ever assaulted anything. Assaulting is and action and last time I checked guns were not able to act on their own.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Money, Whats That?[?][:D] Maybe one of thes days we will get a chnce to meet when your up around the DP area.quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    quote:Originally posted by mauser54

Nope, I picked it up in Yakima where I work. My buddy does a lot of business with DE. I do most of my business with NW Pawn out on Pines in the Valley. Keith is a great guy.

I am about to take on a job in Deer Park so I am guessing that DE will see a bit of my money assuming they have something I want at the right price when I have money [:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Please describe the trigger pull/let-off.

Thank you.

Doug
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking gun!

Wilson has a newer 1911 mag out that I want to try when I get back. I've had 2 standard Wilson 8rd mags seemed like the springs died on them quickly after being left loaded for extended periods of time. I would say Wilsons are definately better than Chip McCormick mags. I've found that CMC mag springs die really quickly.

Have had good luck so far with Novak mags.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know if there are any shooting star mags for you gun, but they seem to work great in my 1911, and they were like 18 brand new when I bought them.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    I dont know if there are any shooting star mags for you gun, but they seem to work great in my 1911, and they were like 18 brand new when I bought them.

The Shooting Star Mags I know about are Chip McComic Magazines?
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish you could buy that gun here for that price and the Mags. Our shops want to pay the light bill with the sale of one gun. Plus they have nothing in stock, and wonder why business is slow. They claim their Distributers dont have any in stock? One of the shops I frequent said you couldnot get a Ruger period and it had been that way for a couple of Months. I find that hard to believe?
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yup

quote:Originally posted by MVP
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish

The Shooting Star Mags I know about are Chip McComic Magazines?