In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need truck help

edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
The Truck is a 2004 GMC sierra. there is a grinding noise coming for the front drivers side wheel. I have changed the wheel bearings, the brake pads and rotors on both wheels. The noise is mostly when you are slowing down or going around a corner. Anyone have any suggestion as to what it ould be?

Comments

• edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I've decided to get another 4x4 mini truck beater to leave at our camper just to drive the 5 miles from the camper to the woods. It will have to be road worthy as I will have to drive it 3 hours from our house to the camper one way and back sometimes. If I get a deer I have to go 30 miles to the processor and back on I-10 doing 65 mph or better. It must have a receiver hitch as I need a winch to lift the deer and hogs into the bed of the truck. My question is, in a 3000.00 dollar or less trucks, which of the old beaters and motors are better to look for? It seems they all have 150,000 or more miles on them.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Check for a loose nut behind the wheel.

b [:)]
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I would wonder if the brake pads are retracting properly. Pistons in the caliper may need to be rebuilt. Stop and touch the caliper, carefully, to see if it is hotter than normal. If its dragging you will feel the heat.

Does the sound stop when you hit the brake. If its brakes it will cancel the noise usually, unless its a worn brake pad. But you did say you replaced the pads already.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Your backing plate maybe in contact with the rotor. Check the backing plate to see if its bent out of shape. You may have over tightened your wheel bearing also.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a 4wd. If so possible axle bearing maybe.

As was said could be brakes not releasing. Mine needed to be flushed stuff was growing in the fluid. But it was my back brakes that was doing that.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    Your backing plate maybe in contact with the rotor. Check the backing plate to see if its bent out of shape.

Thats a very good point. I have also seen where the backing plate has cracked and broken in half and caused that problem. Along with a bit of clunking.

I have further seen small rocks from road resurfacing work get caught up in the disk dust cover and when the wheel turns they jam and make a nasty sound. The rocks accumulate on top of the caliper and if not cleaned off they can come loose and drop down in the dust cover even after you have taken it apart to repair the pad/disk.
    Check in back of the disk to see if you have any of that tar/rock accumulation.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Is it a 4wd. If so possible axle bearing maybe.

As was said could be brakes not releasing. Mine needed to be flushed stuff was growing in the fluid. But it was my back brakes that was doing that.
    Yes it is a 4wd drive. I will have to check the axle bearing in the morning.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sig232
    I would wonder if the brake pads are retracting properly. Pistons in the caliper may need to be rebuilt. Stop and touch the caliper, carefully, to see if it is hotter than normal. If its dragging you will feel the heat.

Does the sound stop when you hit the brake. If its brakes it will cancel the noise usually, unless its a worn brake pad. But you did say you replaced the pads already.
    The calipers and pads seem to be working properly but I only have 20 miles on the truck since the repairs this morning. I will have to check the clipers and backing plate in the morning as well.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Case of beer says you need a new half shaft.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4x4 3/4 ton? You need to replace the hub.
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 02 GMC diesel, I had a noise which I thought was coming from the front, turns out the oil pump on the transfer case wore a hole through the case and all the oil was gone. GM has been known for that, they even have a club called "the pump rub club" of which I became a member of last year. $900 repair and that was doing the work myself[:0]
    edited November -1
    Fixed it. Parts store gave me wrong rotors. They where to wide and would rub on the pads.