In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Modular homes.

edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
What is everbody thoughts on these. My wife started looking at them after one of her friends suggested it. I want to go with a stick built so I know how our house is being built and to give the local carpenters some business.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I like mine. They're well built to code, lots of choices of floor plans. Plus, they go down the road at 60 MPH, so you know they're put together right. There are a lot of modular manufacturers in PA.

Plus, our is on a full foundation with a partially finished basement
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    my brother has one and likes it. it is on a foundation /basement..the only thing bad is the roof is stapled instead of using nails..i like nails...but it was quick..3 weeks he was living there

right now though i bet you had better get some bids..with the lack of work and low interest rate you could build cheaper i bet. there are deals everywhere, total lumber packages and all...compare the two[;)][:D]
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with stick built.It cost more in the begining but re-sale value really pays off latter.Most stick builders take pride in their work,manufacture labor means it's just a job.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Unless you are there watching every "stick" being put into place, you have no idea how its being built...Shortcuts are taken with "stick built" homes more often that one thinks...
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a while sine I've looked at prices, but the last time I checked the prices weren't very much different. If you're looking to save money, I'd check it both ways.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk to your lender about them. They will set you straight real quick which one they like to finance. Neighbor has one. Not even close to being as nice as a stick built home. Some have frames they remove on site after delivery , some frames are left on. Build the home yourself by contracting it out if possible or shop the market for a reasonable priced builder. Not all builders charge the same price for the same home. Built one new one by sub contracting and just had one built 3 yrs. ago. Go buy a new home book at a bookstore and start looking at designs. Most builders will custom up the home and modify the blueprint.
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Unless you are there watching every "stick" being put into place, you have no idea how its being built...Shortcuts are taken with "stick built" homes more often that one thinks...
    The house will be built 5 feet from the trailer that we are living in now. I can watch TV and watch the builders at the same time.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by frog21
    Go with stick built.It cost more in the begining but re-sale value really pays off latter.Most stick builders take pride in their work,manufacture labor means it's just a job.
    I won't see the resale. I have already told my wife I will die In this house no more moving.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam
    The house will be built 5 feet from the trailer that we are living in now. I can watch TV and watch the builders at the same time.

if you have a trailer house now you can use them in trade on a modular...something to think about, otherwise you'll have to sell it,or scrap it yourself[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam
    One of the cotracters has offered to buy the trailer from us

if you have a trailer house now you can use them in trade on a modular...something to think about, otherwise you'll have to sell it,or scrap it yourself[;)]
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    The majority are junk and cheapo built. There is one that is better than a stick built and it sells under the name of Unibilt. I have financed hundreds of them over 40 years and the Unibilt is the only one that did not have a barage of complaints and litigation on. The Unibilt company stands behind their product even many years later and beyond warranty requirements and time limitations. Their reputation is their highest priority. Can't say that for any of the others. Again you get what you pay for.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will second Unibilt homes. I haven't seen all manufactuers by any means, but Unibilt homes are made just as good and better then some stick built homes. They have 2x6 walls, unlike many homes.

Although some stick built homes with be in the same price range, the quality of work of those cheaper stick built homes will be on par with the higher end modular homes. Once again you do get what you pay for.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good modulars are extremely well built. They are built every bit as good as the double wides are built poorly. I have had several different real estate agents tell me that they believe that it wont be long until the majority of the homes built in the country will be modular. Here in S.C., so many new construction homes are built so poorly I would rather have the modular. My first choice, tho, would be build my own. Subcontract 80+%. Making sure I was on site and making sure my materials would be much better than the tract built contractor homes. Even using better materials, you would still walk into the house with 30 to 40% equity.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    219, checked their site - nice product. I am looking for something to build in the Grand Island, NE area. Any suggestions?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like what you're looking at is a double wide. Most true modular homes come in several pieces, not two halves. An actual modular lends the same as a stick build. Also, in Michigan at least, double wides have a title much like a car, where modular homes have a deed.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine 2b 2bth. 1250sf River rock wood burning Fireplace, Bay windows, Sunken bathtubs. Red oak cabinets.
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobiles homes?? Trailers?? is that what yall talking about?
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Id buy one
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of builders working for wages these days, I'd shop for quotes...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the Mexicans.. Stir Stir..[}:)][}:)] They build too..
  • 5151dennis5151dennis Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought I'd drop my .02 in this thread. I've been a builder for 32 years. I beleive there is some confusion re:modular vs. mobile. Modular homes are built the same as (or stronger than) site built homes. Mobile homes are built to HUD codes (think campers), usually have a metal frame under them. Mobile homes will depreciate in value just like your car, where as a modular is no different than a site built in this regard. I think the big plus for mods are the quick turn around time and the fact that they are built indoors, where the house has never been exposed to the elements while under construction. The workers are also doing specialized tasks vs. being a jack of all trades. Modulars are also inspected by a private, third party expection service. All said and done, I'm a site builder, but can see the wisdom of mods, especially for you Yanks up north, with your winters and all.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    you can put your foot through the exterior wall in a new stickbuilt house with siding. Scary to watch these things go up, and see how they are built. I actually think the uni built ones with northern insulation and the 2x6 walls are put together much better than a rushed construction stick. I live in a brick and stone home though so I can't give you experience from living in either, just what I have seen at job-sites, and friends who own them.
    edited November -1
    Builder used this on our stick built. Builders in area were at $90-$100 square foot. Our home was completed for $57 SF three years ago. Prices have went up just a little. Cheaper doesn't mean quality was sacrificed. In fact we altered the blueprint by adding a third car garage, more cabinets, better windows, textured ceilings, half walls, energy efficient heat pump, more insulation. Just remember your foundation is contracted on either choice of home, modular or stick built. Make sure it is installed properly. Your mason's are the first guys on the job and usually the last ( pouring the sidewalks and drive ) Up side to a stick built is you can design it or modify to your needs, whereas the modular is factory built to their plan going down an assembly line. Think of it like this.. do you want a production home like everyone else might have or a custom home nobody else has or very few have? The modulars can usually be picked out going down the road, just like the old mobile homes. Old term on them were prefab homes. And I can almost bet that some of the modular home production people building them don't speak english. The companies use cheap labor also. I know that the Mexicans have taken over the mobile home production lines up north so it wouldn't surprise me they have entered the modular end also. Some are same companies that build both mobile homes and modulars.

http://advantechperforms.com/
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tag, looking at a couple house that are modular.
  • cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd vote for stick built, but I'm biased, I build sticks.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do,go with a home built to Boca code and not a Hud
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    You could hire me to come build you a new home. Working on a room addition right now and will be finished in 2 more weeks, Just give me a call and me and the crew will be right there. I build one way, I over build. The inspectors love to go out on my jobs cause they know it is built better than code.

As far as Modular homes go there are some really nice ones out there. You just have to do your homework first.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.allamericanhomes.com/

Go to the factory and watch them build homes. It will make you feel more comfortable about their building practices. We strong;y considered these guys, but in the end went with a stick built. no regrets, but I also would not be afraid of these guys.

In the end, the cost of a stick built wasn't more expensive than one of these.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I moved into my new 28x64 22 years ago. It sits on a full basement. I'm still finding cheesy, shoddy workmanship.

The drywall is 5/16". (Didn't know they even made that)
    Everything is stapled, not nailed.

The floor is thin OSB.

Looking from the basement, fully 1/3 of the staples missed the joists.....squeak, squeak.

The kitchen sink is not a standard 22x33", but 20x30'. Try finding one of those at Menards or Home Depot!

I needed a roof after eight years.

The kitchen drawer slides are plastic. Yep, they're stapled.

All the ceiling boxes and wall boxes are some sort of bakelite plastic that cracks if you over tighten the cover plate screws.

...I could go on forever. On the other hand, a friend put one up about five years ago (different make) and his is very solid, but still has some "trailer-ish" features.
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just built a house last year. Checked out modulars, they just did not impress me, especially the prices that offered no real advantage over stick built other than quicker turn-around. Also they all have vinyl siding which I dislike. Built a 1853 sq ft ranch with full poured basement, hardi-plank siding, geothermal, large decks and screenporch, 2 car garage, for $209k. Very happy with the outcome.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    http://www.allamericanhomes.com/

All American Homes...lol

They had a manufacturing facility within a mile of where I lived while in NC. Would only hire Mexicans.

Placed a house trailer frame on a rail system at one end of the place and it would not stop moving until it came out the other end. A section of a new "house" exited the door about every 25 to 30 minutes. The guy that used a Yard Jocky truck to move them to storage the "houses" would rack back and forth like you could push one over with your hands.

All American Homes.. No thank you.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a modular being built on TV.I dont know which company was building it but the walls were 2x6 set at 12 inch on center and very well insulated.I saw some of the stick built homes cobbled together during the housing boom around here and it was sad to know someone was paying top dollar for junk material and shoddy workmanship.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Go to the factory and watch them build homes

+1
    went to a company in southern nebraska to look around.
    I would have bought from them but they won't guarantee a house built on a cinder block basement, and that's what i had. very well made from what i saw.
    edited November -1
    Thanks evrybody. I think We will go with a stick built so we can build it the way we want It done. But I did promise my wife we could meet with a couple of modular home dealers and see if the can guve us what we want.