In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bought the metal detector,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Bought the 'Bouty hunter jr.' metal detector. Grand daughter came over and we had a ball with the detector.
Found;
a quarter
two nickels
five pennies
nails
pull tabs
crushed pop cans

Very happy with the ease of use and the accuracy of this little detector. It sure made for a fun time. [^][^][^][^][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy I know has one of those and uses it on the beach. He showed me buckets full of coins, jewelry, watches, and all kinds of other valuables he has found.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought one about 15 yrs ago my BIL and I both had a lot of fun for a while just rN out of local places I to search and too many other people I searching same ! Lots of exercise walking and bending over [:D]
    Good for you to get to spend time with the grand kids makes it even more special
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    a place in in high point nc where the confederacy came through the train staion..lots of old home..i found bttons 40 years ago just in a relatives yard at their apt... counldnt go in others but i guarantee their is tons of stuff there..years ago belt buckles would be found...now you wouldnt get out with your life if you went there..i could ride by and you could just smell the treasures[V]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    A guy I know has one of those and uses it on the beach. He showed me buckets full of coins, jewelry, watches, and all kinds of other valuables he has found.

what beach and where ? every beach i have been to, in Commiefornia, they local city Gvmt. has a power raker and skin the sand about 6 - 8 inches deep, i tried detecting on an Oceanside beach after a July 4th fireworks celebration and saw that damned contraption in operation, i was also told private detecting on that beach was ILLEGAL !!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,451 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    That'll be a lot of fun with the kids, Joe!
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

what beach and where ? every beach i have been to, in Commiefornia, they local city Gvmt. has a power raker and skin the sand about 6 - 8 inches deep, i tried detecting on an Oceanside beach after a July 4th fireworks celebration and saw that damned contraption in operation, i was also told private detecting on that beach was ILLEGAL !!

Agree. My son and I fell for that old story about the eight or ten Spanish treasure ships that went down in a hurricane in the 1600's and could go there and metal detect and come back with doubloons filling your pockets. He was working in El Salvador at that time and I met him in Orlando,rent ed a car and started out. We worked that area between Sebastian Inlet and Vero Beach, and I mean really worked it. Niether of us were novices at it.

He used my Bounty Hunter and I had a Compass that would really look deep and we didn't get but two signals and they were aluminum. Those beaches were spotless clean. The Florida residents told us the only time you have a chance of finding the silver is right after a major hurricane which removes a lot of the top sand.

Luckily I have a Civil War battlefield an hours drive away and have found a lot there.
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    This was found with a metal detector. I've seen one guy in Australia tow a metal detector behind his jeep across the desert and return to where it pings with a handheld.

The hand of faith nugget, 870ozs if I remember correctly. You can see me in the reflection to judge it's size.

PART_1402160879041_20140605_035643_zps43youesj.jpg
  • Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had my 5 year old grandson toss a quarter in the yard the other day with me not looking to see if I could find it. I told him which direction to throw it. Anyway after looking about an hour for the quarter I gave up. I was kind of peeved, not only could I not find it with my new, or never used metal detector, but had just threw a quarter away in the process. Yesterday I was walking the yard checking the weeds and found my quarter. Naturally he had thrown it about 180 degrees in the other direction.
    Jw
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just don't be digging in my yard[}:)]
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    O! I like metal detectors.
    I took mine with me when ever I went on vacation.
    At one time I went to Florida, way back before Mell Fisher found the Atocha.
    Then to Peru and then to an island off the coast of Madagascan.
    From the 2nd Mesa in Arizona to places unknown.
    All my metal detectors like my guns died, I wore them out.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Mine is on loan to a buddy. He's looking for a gun that his late
    Dad put somewhere in the attic, under the insulation. At the
    least, it's a good story and a quest.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

He lives in Huntington Beach, about 1 mile from the beach. I am sure he has done his exploring there. He would go there after the crowds have left for the day.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Bought the 'Bouty hunter jr.' metal detector. Grand daughter came over and we had a ball with the detector.
    Found;
    a quarter
    two nickels
    five pennies
    nails
    pull tabs
    crushed pop cans

Very happy with the ease of use and the accuracy of this little detector. It sure made for a fun time. [^][^][^][^][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Really!?!?!

And the mrs lets you take it on the beach?
    Lucky man. Lucky man.

[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Are your detectors waterproof? Ten years ago behind some of the big waterfront hotels along Waikiki beach guys were prospecting in the water with a special shovel/scoop to let the sand through. Talked to one of them and he showed me what looked to be a 1 to 1.5 carat diamond ring that day.

Jim
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..If someone on the S. Carolina coast finds a sterling silver,
    twist link chain, it's mine. I'll send you my address. Lost it
    in the surf while nearly drowning, 'bout 20 years ago. Thanks.[:D]
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I have a white. Bounty hunter? Maybe? Unfortunately,most of the really cool artifacts around here are flint.

Did find my kids throwing knife, and another of my kids class ring with it, though.

(throwing knife was lost, doing what throwing knives are supposed to do, class ring was lost in the middle of an intense snowball fight)

Dan
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next Sunday morning early, I will be on the beaches with my Whites XLT
    (with about 20 other people[:D])
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the stuff I find may be junk to others,but its treasure to me.Old horseshoes,piece of an old tracer chain with US stamped in the swivel,axe heads,tool parts.You have to wonder who lost it and how long ago.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Treasure hunting is fun...

Mel Fisher lost a son finding his loot. But that was down below. I see guys trying thier luck all the time..
  • Options
    GTGrammyGTGrammy Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    digging in the front yard and back yard so far,Grand daughter loved it when it would ping...."Papa right there dig there..."
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GTGrammy
    digging in the front yard and back yard so far,Grand daughter loved it when it would ping...."Papa right there dig there..."
    [^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I got my boys the bounty hunter jr for Christmas. There are a couple barns that burned down around here. The farms let us dig around the sites and have a some cool things. One farmer lost some antique tools in one of the fires and offered to pay us if we found them.