In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Damn Moles in Garden

gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anyone know how to get rid of em? Little sons o bit__es ate all my peas...had to replant them the other day. Any help??????

Comments

• trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    heard you can shove human hair into their holes to run them off.
    Go to a barber and he will gladly give you a bag.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313
    heard you can shove human hair into their holes to run them off.
    Go to a barber and he will gladly give you a bag.

Who's going to hold their little legs apart?

Lancee
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Wait and watch for its movement. Then nail it with a pitchfork. I'll usually get 2 or 3 a year that way. I've tried the traps many different kinds. The poison, smoke bombs and all are a joke. You have to take this matter into your own hands. Or call the mole man in your local area.
    They will usually show movement in the early evening or early mornings.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard juicy fruit gum in their holes kills them[?]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here again LMAO who is going to stick the gum in their holes?
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Here again LMAO who is going to stick the gum in their holes?
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

Won't it stick to their little hairs before you get in their little holes?[:0]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moles are carnavores, not vegans. Moles eat grubs, grubs eat plant roots.
    Now, you might have gophers, and the best cure (most fun) for those is a 22.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Who's going to hold their little legs apart?

[:D][:D][:D]
  • JamesQuinnJamesQuinn Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Insecticide will kill the grubs they feed on, and they'll leave.

2. A young, hungry cat will hunt them at night. If he's like our cat, he'll eat half and bring the other half in for you. Not bad grilled with a little Texas Pete.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesQuinn
    1. Insecticide will kill the grubs they feed on, and they'll leave.

+1 get rid of their food supply and they will leave
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    Try mothballs. Had a skunk living under a building at one time and put some mothballs in the entry hole- skunk didn't come back.
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    There is a 12 in windmill you put on a piece of plumbing pipe,
    into the ground. It has a bead in it that rattles whenever the
    wind blows the windmill around. It drives them out of your
    yard. Can't stand the noise. Also they have a solar one now,
    you put into the ground that emits an intermittent noise they
    hate. They'll move to your neighbors yard.[:)]
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your welcome to borrow Ozzy. So far he's battin' a 1000.

Ozzy011-1.jpg

Dug up a whole nest of them little bass turds last month.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Semiauto 12 gauge with mag.ext. and filled with 1 1/4Oz slugs or 000-Buckshot.

Or you could dig it up, shove the hoze from a bottle of azetylene down the hole and give it a fast and big whiff with that. (no oxygen!!!)

That works too.

Neighbour once dug up a new mounds and gave it a big blast of both oxygen and azetylene - then threw the butt of his cigar from a distance (after he shut off and cleared the hoses).

That ripped up half the garden in one big boom. Probably took the durn critter too, never found it and never had problems after that.

If you use some sort of gas - make sure it gets down there fast or it has time to close off the tunnel.

If you use poison - make sure you don't touch it with your skin/hands. They'll smell it and close off the tunnel and keep on diggin' somewhere in the garden.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a weimaraner that couldn't get enough of them, but she also tore up the garden, killed my mom's ducks, brought a skunk onto the front porch, and ate more birds than she retreived. Damn, I miss that dog.

AT
  • Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had problems with moles when we lived in Oregon. They tore up the yard and caused all sorts of problems. The cat would bring one in every now and then, but couldn't catch enough of them to make a difference. There was a guy at church who was a master gardener, so we figured to ask him how to remove them. Now, he was the most humble, nicest, soft spoken guy you ever met, barely over 5' tall. But, when we asked him his advice his response was "KILL THEM!!!" The next morning, at about 7:00 he was there with about 4 mole traps and set them up for us, then showed us how to reset them. He said to leave the bodies where they lie, as it deters the others. We killed about a dozen or so before they decided to find safer quarters- or the worms and bugs ran out, whichever.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few cats will get rid of them after they get rid of the mice.....
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Exlax on them for years, always had dogs and cats in the yard that I wanted to keep away from poisons.
    Just drop the Exlax in the tunnels and the little meanies poop their brains out and die, no poison problem if a pet gets a hold of a dead one.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can borrow Sparky. He is hell on the moles. Loves to dig 'em up.
    He doesn't eat them, he just chews them up some, then leaves them in the yard.

DSCN0324.jpg
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I sit in my lawn chair in the early evening and wait until they start moving. Then I blast the tunneling point with a 45.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not Juicy fruit. Roll up Wriggley's SPEARMINT gum(must be spearmint) to the shape of a worm and place in moles entrance hole.
    They are attracted to the spearmint and will eat it. Rodents cannot digest chewing gum, they cannot regurgitate, the gum ends up setting up in the stomach causing blockage. The mole will eventually die of intestinal compaction, some would call it deadly constipation.
    edited November -1
    You need to leave the aluminum foil on the gum for it to work.
    edited November -1
    I want to borrow Sparky. Send him over please. What a cutie.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moles are carnivores. they have the highest metabolism of any animal in the world, they must eat 24-7. Grubs are only a small part of their diet. they eat more earthworms than any thing since there are many more of them in your soil. They wiil eat slugs, centipedes, billbugs, whatever they can get their paws on. They are solitary, and do not have set tunnels like ground hogs. Poison baits are hit and miss since moles normally won't eat any thing that appears dead. You must kill them by means of traps, or a good dog or cat. Push down their tunnels with your feet and then look for the new ones that pop up, place the traps around the new tunnels. Hopefully a mole will run into one your traps. Traps are successful maybe 20% of the time. Good luck!
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.rodenator.com
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell Ya! Rodenator!! Looks good for gophers, but moles are not rodents and they tunnel constantly in search of food, and seldom ,if ever, use the same path.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X
    Moles are carnivores. they have the highest metabolism of any animal in the world, they must eat 24-7. Grubs are only a small part of their diet. they eat more earthworms than any thing since there are many more of them in your soil. They wiil eat slugs, centipedes, billbugs, whatever they can get their paws on. They are solitary, and do not have set tunnels like ground hogs. Poison baits are hit and miss since moles normally won't eat any thing that appears dead. You must kill them by means of traps, or a good dog or cat. Push down their tunnels with your feet and then look for the new ones that pop up, place the traps around the new tunnels. Hopefully a mole will run into one your traps. Traps are successful maybe 20% of the time. Good luck!

And there in lies the biggest problem, the OP is complaining about something eating his PLANTS, and only a couple people on this thread have mentioned that MOLES don't eat plants. Now, if the OP would FORGET about MOLES and concintrate on what's eating his PLANTS.......
    edited November -1
    Moles destroy lawns and golf courses, uproot or ruin flower and
    seed beds. They eat seed corn and plant roots. Most of the
    direct injury is mechanical due to heaving up the plants, damaging
    the roots and cutting off their supply of moisture.

I found the mole chaser, windmill thingy I was telling you about.
    www.rabunmetal.com/mole Some place in Tiger Ga makes it.
    1-706-782-4224. We've had lots of wind lately, and my little
    windmill has been turning like crazy...which is what I want the
    little old moles to do...go so crazy they move to the neighbors.[:)]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    if you had a more serious problem id suggest this but its a little overkill....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umEFHeo6mw