In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Proper care for American elk.

JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
What is the proper way to care and maintain a new set of American elk gun grips?

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/American-Elk-Grips-for-Colt-Government-.380.html

I am concerned about powder residues, oil, and such other crud lodging inside and damaging the bark that lies between the white veins. One such small piece of the cortex already came off. Is it supposed to eventually fall?

Can one scrub the surface by using a tooth brush? Is there some sort of special product designed to clean such material?

Thanks!

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Leather is Leather doc.

Treat it the same as cow leather....

Correction, you talking about antler grips. Treat it the same as any other antler material. I am pretty sure you will want to keep gun cleaners and oil off from it.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That much I already knew.

Name names!

[:D]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    find an all natural non chemical lotion. apply it to the ivory once or twice a year. avoid sun and extreme temperatures. i use this on my lile and lee knives. it keeps the bone from drying up and cracking.

hippie shops are a great place to find pure lotion. dont use scented or chemical crap. the best is animal fat and parafin lotion with no scent.