In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

global warming

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Though I heard on the news that the Global warming conference was canceled because of the snow there in DC. Find that to be a little funny.

Comments

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice, 35 degrees with flurries this morning in nd

god dang global warming[B)]

are any major companies poised to sue the federal government when all this turns out to be bogus?

i was talking to a guy that works at a natural gas refinery and he told me the government is putting a huge tax on them starting next year because of the amount of carbon they release into the air, said the price on flammable gases will almost double. so they are using bogus science to create a scare and tax the crap out of critical industries, in the mean time people are forced to pay the higher prices on such frivolous things such as HEAT and TRANSPORTATION, creating further financial woes on an already stressed economy.

i hope when this is all said and done with those responsible for creating these feel good taxes fry for what they are about to do to the people of this country
    edited November -1
    Got up this morning to 6 inches of snow. Wish Al was here.
    edited November -1
    A bitter Monday morning chill across Southcentral Alaska should persist for at least another day, forecasters say, and changing conditions could bring higher temperatures later in the week.

As of 7:30 a.m. Monday, the National Weather Service's Anchorage office listed a temperature of 3 degrees at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. Much of the Mat-Su was below zero, with Palmer at 4 degrees below, Wasilla at 11 below and Talkeetna at 13 below.

The Kenai Peninsula and points south hosted Southcentral's warmest spots, including a relatively balmy 13 degrees in Seward, with 18 recorded in Homer and 21 in Kodiak.

Rebecca Duell, a forecaster at the Weather Service's office in Anchorage, said an average low for Sunday night in Anchorage was 16 degrees, but temperatures at the airport fell to 2 below zero -- just 3 degrees above the record low recorded for the date but still warmer than other parts of town.

"South Anchorage had a bit of wind, and they didn't get as cold as East Anchorage," Duell said.

Across the region, Duell said, Southcentral's cold was the result of three factors: cold air, calm winds and clear skies.

"Basically, what we have is this really cold Arctic air mass over us and that's really what's driving it," Duell said. "We've had all three of those factors line up over a lot of those areas."

Most areas, including the Mat-Su region, reported minimal winds and only patchy clouds over the weekend -- both factors that helped send the mercury down.

"One of the reasons we've been so cold recently is that we've been fairly calm, and you notice a temperature swing in the areas that haven't seen much wind -- they get much, much colder," Duell said. "Most of the areas are clear, and areas like the Susitna Valley that were clear overnight get really, really cold."

According to the NWS forecast for the week, skies should be clear through Tuesday, with daytime high temperatures hovering between 5 and 15 degrees before rising amid Wednesday clouds, with a chance of snow, to the 20-degree belt by Thursday and Friday.

Nighttime lows over the same period will include dips below zero -- including 10 to 15 below in East Anchorage on Tuesday.

Duell said the uptick in the forecast's temperatures reflects a change in air masses expected later this week, as well as increases in local cloud cover.

"Definitely more typical temperatures for this time of year, so it won't be quite up to average by the end," Duell said. "(By the) middle to the end of the week, we'll start getting back to that normal temperature range there."

In the Interior, Fairbanks experienced an overnight low Sunday of 22 degrees below zero. According to the Fairbanks NWS office's forecast, residents of the Golden Heart City can expect daytime highs up to zero degrees this week, with evening lows as deep as 25 degrees below on Tuesday and Friday.

http://www.adn.com/article/20151116/southcentral-alaska-chill-persist-least-another-day-forecasters-say
    edited November -1
    Holy crap
    -10 below 0 this morning in Minnesota --
    This global warming is starting to get to me ----
    Lee
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I know this is a bad time to bring this up for some.

But Oregon had its driest year ever last year. So far the Ski areas have not opened up cause there is no Snow. We had some a few weeks ago but it has warmed up enough that almost all of it is now gone.

Wonder if it is cause I put the Harley into winter Storage for Insurance.
    edited November -1
    I was talking to a guy in the grocery store this morning and he said he was grateful for global warming. He said, "Can you imagine how bad the winter would have been if it wasn't for global warming!"
    edited November -1
    I wish it was real. Yesterday, I was about ready to turn on the air conditioner. Today, I'm freakin cold!

Same spot of the house!
    edited November -1
    Yes, the UN organized and commissioned this study, but the UN didn't write it.

The study's findings are the consensus findings of over 6000 climate scientists from around the world.

Then the politicians got hold of it and tried to tweak it this way or that way but I think the best way to think about it is as a professional opinion on which 6000 climate scientists were able to agree.

Large numbers of scientists have been wrong before, but not so often. Therefore I take them seriously when they present their two major findings: 1) climate warming over the past 50 years is real, and 2) there is at least 95% chance that it is human-caused.
    edited November -1
    I don't need to read scientific literature. I don't need to listen to some political BS. I can see it with my eyes and sense it in my sweat glands. When NH has winters as mild as they were in MD thirty years ago and summers like the Alabama coast of the same period when warm climate pests migrate northerly into new ranges all over the world, we are in deep doo-doo. I hate to sound like Judge Dread, but I harbor a deep fear we may have finally trashed this planet.

With a few exceptions, I have lived in the same small area all my life. Virtually every day since 6/1 we've had the sort of heat and humidity I last experienced on the Gulf Coast, with visibility limited to a few miles. No rain, not even thunderstorms. Crops dying, lawns brown (sort of a good thing there - don't have to mow!). It is scary. Look at the weather patterns in Europe - 100 year floods. I don't know if it is pollution, too many people, nuclear tests or what, but I have no doubt the human race has managed to screw up the climate big time.
    edited November -1
    I can't wait until this global warming is finished, I'm getting tired of all these heavy hot weather snow falls and the scorching heat of 7 degrees
    edited November -1
    I know,there has been many topics about global warming.But,scientist are now saying the Blizzards in the N.E. are caused by the warming....???
    edited November -1
    First off, I don't believe in it- not the man made kind anyhow. Gradual long term natural climate cycles are another thing.

Second though, to be fair- I don't cite the United States' brutal winter as evidence either way. Europe has had a VERY mild winter- I was just in Austria and the daffodils are already blooming.

Personally I attribute it all to the sun... global warming, global cooling... solution is to destroy or otherwise block the sun. No more sunburn, no more warming, no more nasty UV rays... what say you? [;)]
    edited November -1
    it is snowing in Houston Texas[:0][;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    Another scientist presented by the recent 'Great Global Warming Swindle' as a sceptic and supporter of their position has come out with a public complaint about the makers' fabrication of key data:

http://folk.uio.no/nathan/web/statement.html

Ho-hum...
    edited November -1
    Have you filled your C02 bottle today?[:D]
    edited November -1
    This may, in fact, be the most confusing article on Global Warming that I have ever read.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cleaning-up-air-pollution-may-strengthen-global-warming/

"efforts worldwide to clean up the air may cause an increase in warming" So, we're actually warming the planet with our efforts.

"Pollution in the atmosphere is... helping to cool the climate, masking some of the global warming that's occurred so far" [?][?] So, wait, are our efforts warming the planet or cooling it? I can't tell.

"eliminating the human emission of aerosols...would virtually ensure that the planet will warm beyond the most stringent climate targets outlined in the Paris climate agreement." [?][?][?] So, clean up is like really really bad?

"the Arctic region, northern Europe, Norway, the northern U.S.... is also quite sensitive to the changes in aerosols in Asia."[?][?] So, it's a regional problem?

"the Arctic?the most rapidly warming region on the planet" [?][?][?] Ok, it's regional NOT global.

"...about a third of all the warming that occurred over land areas over the past 50 years was masked?temporarily covered up, in other words?by aerosol pollution." Still no idea as to whether there has been warming or cooling. Does this mean the global temperature is staying the same? WTH does "masked warming" mean? The "other words" do not clarify.

Here are some "in other words": no one in the scientific community has the foggiest clue as to what is going on, what causes what or how anything affects anything else. But one thing seems certain: it's a REGIONAL issue, not a global one.
    edited November -1
    i was looking for that thread on here that has all those scientist in the 70's explaining how we were past the point of no return on the next ice age. the owner of the pizza ranch(we share a building)was just telling me he is a big believer in global warming(he also voted for obama[xx(] ) told him i was gonna get him something to read[}:)]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Al Gore said that the debate is over. I don't think we are supposed to be talking about this issue.

Besides... who ya gonna believe, Al Gore or your own eyes?
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    dont you dare give al gore any crap!

he invented the internet and we wouldn't even have computers without him!

how dare you say global warming isn't real! cow's fart every day.