In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My boss doesn't like my email message

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My boss doesn't like the "Out Of Office Message" I put on my email at work. Wants to know why I won't be checking messages or email while on vacation.[:0]

quote:I will be out of the office from Saturday, 05/23/09 through Monday, 06/01/09, returning on Tuesday 06/02/09. I will not be checking email, and will not be able to check phone messages left at work, home or on my cell phone.

Of course he left the message on my voice mail that I won't be checking until Tuesday, 06/02/09! Guess I'll get back to him then![}:)]

Comments

• badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Maybe because you didn't have something along the lines of "during my absence contact John Doe at XXX-XXX-XXX"?
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badsbsnf81
    Maybe because you didn't have something along the lines of "during my absence contact John Doe at XXX-XXX-XXX"?

I did. The second line says to contact Ron Favors in my absence. His issue was I wasn't going to be checking messages.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When he goes on vacation then you need to contact him about something about every 2 hours or so....from midnight until 9am!
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    quote:Originally posted by badsbsnf81

I did. The second line says to contact Ron Favors in my absence. His issue was I wasn't going to be checking messages.

As long as you did that I don't get what the deal is personally.
    I am headed into semi-retirement myself, and all I do is work for a couple VERY large industrial customers.

Their MRO buyers are constantly taking time off, and that is exactly the type of message I receive when I call. Same when I send a fax,.......a fax back with the same info.

Sounds like someone that is flaunting their power with the economy the way it is. Don't sweat it.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    We have voice mail at the PD, and I never check mine. We didn't have it in 1981; don't need it now. Anyone wants to leave me a message better get one of the dispatchers to write out a "WHILE YOU WERE OUT" note and stick it in my mailbox.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My boss doesn't like the "Out Of Office Message" I put on my email at work. Wants to know why I won't be checking messages or email while on vacation.[:0]

quote:I will be out of the office from Saturday, 05/23/09 through Monday, 06/01/09, returning on Tuesday 06/02/09. I will not be checking email, and will not be able to check phone messages left at work, home or on my cell phone.

Of course he left the message on my voice mail that I won't be checking until Tuesday, 06/02/09! Guess I'll get back to him then![}:)]

[:D]
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed NUNN! we are supposed to have Email at the PD here, but no one has ever given me the password to access mine. Besides, one can only access it at the pd, and they do not like us to be in the pd too long.....so what is the point?
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Danny:

I would not dream of calling an employee while they were on vacation. If an emergency came up and I had to get with them, they would get compensated for their time and inconvenience on their vacation.

If they want to check their e-mail, I guess they can if they want to.

As I see it, their vacation is their time.

What the boss's phone number?

Post it here, some folks will maximize it's entertainment value, see if he'll call me back or check his messages.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    Danny:

I would not dream of calling an employee while they were on vacation. If an emergency came up and I had to get with them, they would get compensated for their time and inconvenience on their vacation.

If they want to check their e-mail, I guess they can if they want to.

As I see it, their vacation is their time.

What the boss's phone number?

Post it here, some folks will maximize it's entertainment value, see if he'll call me back or check his messages.

I volunteer [;)] with an 817 number and depending on what you do, I work for a pretty big company in these here parts [:D][;)]
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I had that luxury.[V][xx(]

not too much longer...
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My boss gets downright pissed if I do ANY company-oriented work while I'm on vacation.

Two things he holds sacrosanct are family obligations and vacation time. He's a hell of a guy to work for.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    My boss gets downright pissed if I do ANY company-oriented work while I'm on vacation.

Two things he holds sacrosanct are family obligations and vacation time. He's a hell of a guy to work for.

My Manager is that way. He says if you work, I have to pay you. That is the law, and he says he wants a man to forget about work when he's on vacation.

My boss is worried that they will need my help before I get back and he won't be able to contact me.

He's right![}:)]
  • stetsonstetson Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all it would have to be a world shattering event to contact an employee on vacation.I have been a business owner for 20 years
    and a boss for over 25 years and I've never called somebody in from a
    vacation to do a job.It's just not the right thing to do in my book!
    If he doesn't like your e-mail then it sounds like you are not on vacation so give him the choice you can let the Board of Labor decide
    if he's covering for himself while he's on vacation or is he really on vacation ? which is it?Either way his boss sounds like he doesn't have a whole lot of respect for subordinates.Let us know how this turns out.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

My Manager is that way. He says if you work, I have to pay you. That is the law, and he says he wants a man to forget about work when he's on vacation.

My boss is worried that they will need my help before I get back and he won't be able to contact me.

He's right![}:)]

Nice. Luckily, in a company as small as mine, my boss IS my manager and he owns the joint.

Plus, there isn't anything I can do that he can't. I asked him one time "OK, what if the station burns down when I'm on vacation?"

He sez, "I expect you'll read about it in the paper."
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The boss sounds like he has a control issue.

My boss likes to monitor her blackberry day, night, weekends and while on vacation and "likes" to stay in touch and on top of every minor detail and offer suggestions.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey whats the joke? I tried to call John Doe at x-xxx-xxx-xxxx and the number wont work.[:D]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    The boss sounds like he has a control issue.

My boss likes to monitor her blackberry day, night, weekends and while on vacation and "likes" to stay in touch and on top of every minor detail and offer suggestions.

Both my Manager and direct supervisor are good guys, but I'm the only one who does what I do because everytime I get someone trained as a backup, they quit. My boss is worried to death that they will need help and can't get in touch with me. I will check email from the laptop at night in the hotel, and Josh knows how to get in contact with me, but I'm not going to check in or answer my cell while traveling on the motorcycle. I would never leave them in a bind, but it's not going to happen either. I was more than a week ahead on my programs when I left Friday![;)]

The boss is a worry wort!
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Post that number and he'll really have something to worry about.[}:)][:D][8][:0]
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm different. I am responssible for certain major items at my company. I make decisions every day that can make or break our future. Plus I am privy to some confidential information unknown by my employees. Whether I am on vacation or not the rest of the world goes on, good or bad. It doesn't wait for me to return. I always check my VMB and Email. Usually it's a simple call to the office to provide some direction. Nothing has ever happened except once when my boss was fired while I was on vacation and my new boss called me to let me know what had happened. I guess that's why I get paid the big bucks.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I don't guess he reads GB, does he.?.?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    Post that number and he'll really have something to worry about.[}:)][:D][8][:0]

That would be admitting that I got his message![}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I don't guess he reads GB, does he.?.?

Nope![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    I guess I'm different. I am responssible for certain major items at my company. I make decisions every day that can make or break our future. Plus I am privy to some confidential information unknown by my employees. Whether I am on vacation or not the rest of the world goes on, good or bad. It doesn't wait for me to return. I always check my VMB and Email. Usually it's a simple call to the office to provide some direction. Nothing has ever happened except once when my boss was fired while I was on vacation and my new boss called me to let me know what had happened. I guess that's why I get paid the big bucks.

I did that for years, I no longer have to.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I go back to work......I'm gonna tell MY boss to stick it where the sun doesn't shine if she thinks I will be working during ANY vacation time.

OH....hang on a minute.... I'm going to be working for myself. I'm screwed.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, Danny, I guess you can look forward to not having a job when you get back from vacation. J/k[:D][:D][:D]

Tell your boss he's retarded and you could take his place any time you wanted to.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the boss is an azzhat and SERIOUSLY insecure. When you are on vacation, that means YOU ARE NOT WORKING! Checking messages, voice mail, etc, is WORKING! Make a phone call to your HR dept, and see whether they can keep the idiot occupied for a few day.

BTW, one of the conditions that are frequently encountered in MAJOR embezzlement cases- the perp has not taken a vacation in years- and gets caught when they do.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW, we used to have an "auto reply" feature on email- when you sent a message, auto reply came back.

Boss DID tell me to change my auto-reply. It was "To continue, press control-alt-delete." [:p]

Caused the computer to re-boot.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    Boss is just like one of the many super-uptight bozos who work at L-3. Makes me wonder how they ever manage to take a dump.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree your boss is a little over the top leaving you the voicemail you described. My boss knows how to contact me, but he would not do so unless it was truely an emergency. In the five years I have worked for him, I think he called me one time when I was on vacation.

In my situation I will check emails once in a while while I am off on vacation just to see how things are going. I also leave a number where my direct reports can reach me if they need some help. I would rather spend a couple minutes solving a small problem instead of waiting a week and have it turn into a large problem. I do not contact my direct reports when they are on vacation. If I can't solve the problem without their help I'm not doing my job.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • mechman460mechman460 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your bosses name bill lumburg? haha