In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I had some fun at the range in between hunting!

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
I took my .300 Blackout out for the 1st time since installing my favorite 2-7 Leupold scope. It shot pretty decent with the 130 grain soft points my uncle loaded up.

I had also taken my Glock 30SF and 10mm barrel out, but STILL didn't get to test it out. Maybe next time. There were a couple guys waiting behind me with muzzleloaders to sight in. Normally I would have kept shooting, but with it being blackpowder season here, I figured I would give them the range.

IMG_20161130_105553637_zpshs24qc9k.jpg

IMG_20161130_110156486_zpsfsifhiqu.jpg

Jon

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A point of interest - a point open for debate...

When hunting - when I intended to take a gun hunting I test fired it as it would be carried and shot in the field - under outdoor as found expeditions conditions...

Of of a wood bench is fine - but a few rounds offhand or kneeling or with you leaning up against a post when possible are good choices.

I also like to realy ring out the tightest possible 5 round to 10 round groups at 100 yds using anything I can aquire as far as shooting gear - bags - rests - sleds - etc...

But they are distinct separate test regimens yielding somewhat different results...

Just food for thought.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would agree with that. In my opinion, you need to get the rifle on point 1st. Once the rifle is on point, or sighted in, take shots in any positions you envision yourself shooting in the field.....like you mentioned.

My dad made me do that with my 1st deer rifle. As a matter of fact, when we took our hunters safety field test, we were allowed to bring our own rifle out to the range and shoot afterwards. They had a little drill going where you fired a round from the bench, 1 round from the kneeling position, 1 round sitting, 1 round standing, and 1 round laying on the ground. I thought that was a really neat thing to do.

FWIW, this is just target shooting with a rifle. I am muzzleloader hunting this week. I did not clarify that in my original post.

Jon
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need more info on your new toy, make, model. I like the looks of it and it appears that it shoots as good as the operator. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    We need more info on your new toy, make, model. I like the looks of it and it appears that it shoots as good as the operator. [:D]

That is what I always say. [:)]

The rifle is a Ruger American Rifle. It has a 1:7 twist. I have some 200 grain Sierra Gamekings loaded up for testing next time I am out at the range.

Jon
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking gun and group!

I can't wait till we can buy suppressors on a 4473.
    I see the barrel is already threaded on that one. Should make for a quiet gun!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******
    edited November -1
    Fun stuff![:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It's a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 Blackout. It has a 16.12" barrel (threaded for a 'can')
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

It's a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 Blackout. It has a 16.12" barrel (threaded for a 'can')

That was a lot more thorough and to the point answer then mine. [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Nice looking gun and group!

I can't wait till we can buy suppressors on a 4473.
    I see the barrel is already threaded on that one. Should make for a quiet gun!

I got my fingers crossed! [:)]

Jon
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice looking set up , wished i could have gotten out and did a little hunting this year but my darn knee been giving me so much problems i can't even think about try to walk in the woods
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're a good man Sig220
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?