In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Face book Now

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
quote:Facebook says it's cracking down on online gun sales, with a new policy that bars private individuals from advertising or selling firearms on the world's largest social network.

Licensed gun retailers can still advertise their businesses on Facebook, but they aren't allowed to accept orders or transact sales on the site.

The new policy announced Friday drew praise from a gun-control group that says it has been urging Facebook to prohibit sales. Everytown for Gun Safety, which started with backing from former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, says it found cases where felons who should not have been allowed to legally buy guns were able to buy one from unlicensed sellers on Facebook.

- See more at: http://www.kezi.com/news/Facebook_Announces_Stricter_Policy_on_Gun_Sales.html#sthash.wy8UC7BS.dpuf

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't effect me....don't do Facebook...[:o)]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Never saw ads on there but why make rules that are not nation wide. Shows how they think.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    [:D][:D][;)] NOWAY JOSE..
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be easy enough to circumvent.

"For sale: One blue paper clip. Asking $750. Free AR-15 with purchase."
    [:D][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That's a shallow way to look at it. As big as Facebook is, and considering the number of people that use it, it affects you more than you might think. Social media is also used by the people just itching to legislate your rights away, whether you use it or not. It's the easiest method of getting their word out, and convincing people that you and I are the enemy.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the pages i am on is saying any ads should read i have this item with me, worth this amount of big paperclips, and would like to meet at X so you can like it or not. tell me where we can discuss this. and the pages are also being changed from CLOSED[ which allowed visitors to see some ads] TO SECRET[non members cant see nuttin]
    ..missoula gun and ammo page is now the Missoula SUNFLOWER CLUB bwahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yep, a huge metadata mine.
    Hardly a day goes by when someone does not get busted on FB.
    Snowden nailed it.
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The door to confiscation just opened a tiny bit. They will keep chipping away at this until they get what they want.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fugawe
    The door to confiscation just opened a tiny bit. They will keep chipping away at this until they get what they want.

Because a social media site doesn't want to let you use their service to sell guns?

I don't see a connection there, please explain.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    the pages i am on is saying any ads should read i have this item with me, worth this amount of big paperclips, and would like to meet at X so you can like it or not. tell me where we can discuss this. and the pages are also being changed from CLOSED[ which allowed visitors to see some ads] TO SECRET[non members cant see nuttin]
    ..missoula gun and ammo page is now the Missoula SUNFLOWER CLUB bwahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

I saw some pretty creative funny names this morning when I looked [:D]

And go ahead and laugh because FB did this, as more and more private venues are shut down, as private sales are eliminated soon dealers will be the only game in town. Keep on supporting these pages shutting out gun owners because soon when this becomes a dealer only function you will find out what price hikes really are. Our community is full of scalpers and gougers, people with the morals of a sewer rat who will take advantage of the masses to make a buck. When the game changes to where these dealers set the standard the prices go up. I'm all for private sales and using private sales to keep dealers in check but those days are coming to an end. The good honest dealers are dwindling and those with a lust for the almighty $$ who would sell thier souls will become the leaders. Is that what you want? I sure dont. I have zero respect for dealers/scalpers/gougers who feel the need to screw me out of my $$ because they can. My days of buying guns will come to an end not because I don't like guns it is because I hate greed and greed is the driving force behind a growing number of dealers.
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my view, even the tiniest step that inhibits gun trading is one step closer to the anti-gunners' ultimate goal of the elimination of private ownership.quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by fugawe

Because a social media site doesn't want to let you use their service to sell guns?

I don't see a connection there, please explain.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Would You Take 650?[;)]quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Never saw ads on there but why make rules that are not nation wide. Shows how they think.

no adds but you could post them for sale on your page
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

[;)][;)][;)]