In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Obituaries

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
What do you want to see in your obituary? Realistically

Comments

• Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really care what they write about me; I won't be reading it.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have requested no funeral home showing, no wake, no obit. When I pass away I want to be cremated and my ashes dumped into Kachemak Bay Alaska.

I will be safe in the arms of Jesus by then.
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Realistically, I ain't a gonna see it.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot by a jealous husband at the age of 123. [:D][:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever my kids want to put in it. It's for them anyway not me

But that's what most conservative will probably tell you, most liberal will probably tell you how they want their less than average Life sensationalized
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...he had fun!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a retraction................
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am trying not to think about it...

It will most likely be written by my parents...

Something no parents should ever have to do...

Maybe that I tried my best to win this fight - and spent my surplus time and energy trying to help others who were similarly afflicted...

I have tried to be a good man - a good neighbor - a good citizen - a good boyfriend - to have a positive impact on those around me...

I wish I could do more - could have done more but the chemotherapy severely limits what I can do now...

Mike
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Please... No obit and no eulogy for me. Those who have cared will remember and I wish nothing else.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking about obituaries is sad, it makes me think of how many of my family members have died since I was a kid sitting at the dinner table at my grandfather's home on a typical Saturday in East Tennessee during the 50s.

There's great grandpa and great grandma Bowers that's no longer with us, grandpa and grandma Monday are dead, uncle Tommy and aunt Mary have died, uncle Artie and aunt Sammie are dead and my Dad has passed. That just leaves me and my elderly Mom from those happy days.

I call Mom on the phone every day and I dread the day she doesn't answer. [:(]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read a real obit from the local paper. Obit was no funeral, but friends were invited for drinks to their place on the river, where at sunset the ashes of the deceased were to be fired out across the river FROM HIS FAVORITE CANNON.

I just like the idea of having a FAVORITE cannon! [:I]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have went to a couple family and friends farewell celebration's
    lots of family and friends telling and sharing stories of the departed one . better than any news paper add I could think of
    even most funeral's the loved ones had been cremated ( least expensive way ) but to me was very nice way to be remembered

along the same lines but more intense
    as a kid I remember having wakes in Tennessee they would bring the casket (and person of course ) back to the home place leave them that day and overnight next day come and take them to the grave yard
    for a little kid it was odd ( I had to sleep about 6 feet away on a couch from my grandfather .. ) family and friends would bring in food and beverages and share time and stories
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really would prefer to write my own. Doubt that my family would publish it after they read it though. Would be awfuly long. Hate to see my life reduced to a small parargraph.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend had a small framed sign in his office.

"It should be a sobering thought to realize the size of the turnout for your funeral will be governed by the weather that day,"
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,436 ******
    edited November -1
    I have had the unasked for responsibility (task for a better word) of writing a total of 3 obituaries in my life so far.

One for my father, one for my FIL, and one for my MIL.

Never have felt more inadequate in my whole life for a job that nobody else wanted or would do![:(]
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No obit---told them to "Hoffa" me and keep cashing the pension check.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Realistically...

Something I will never see. Hope its a doozy...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,436 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99
    No obit---told them to "Hoffa" me and keep cashing the pension check.

Damn! That same thought has occurred to me a time or two!

Heard the Home Depot is having a sale on cement this week![}:)][:D]
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've written a rough draft of mine and selected a photo to go with it. I keep meaning to donate my remains to a science program that will pick up the body for free, cremate it when done and return the ashes to loved ones if they so desire, but haven't got around to it yet.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

"It should be a sobering thought to realize the size of the turnout for your funeral will be governed by the weather that day,"

I am on the Color Guard Funeral Detail for our military veterans.

Last year I attended 29 funerals. I have attended 3 so far this year, but one of those was for a classmate's mother. (I mention that because lately I have not been going to funerals for anyone other than veterans. It is not that I don't do funerals. It is just that I haven't needed to go to any funerals lately - other than veterans. Yes, 8 out of 10 times I actually knew the veteran.)

Anyway, I attend funerals - and do the things I have to do, when the temperature is 20 degrees below zero or 100 degrees; when it is snowing, raining, "sunning" (hot), or just a beautiful day.

Sometimes there are more people in the Funeral Detail than there are attending the services. That is really sad - and I am always honored to be in attendance regardless of the weather.

Your friend's sign is correct - by my observation. I will steal it and make sure the others guys on the Funeral Detail see it. They will get a kick out of it, because when you do the things we do, it helps to have a sense of humor.

DSC_0934_zpskmlq7ek8.jpg
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Mine will read
    I lived , I died, thank you my friends for the ride, now I will be quick fried. The end
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My wife and I argued about this for years until she finally wore me down. I want no obit, no service and no marker. Cremation and scattering of ashes.

She just flat-out told me that I had absolutely no say in it since I would be dead.

I did get her to agree that there would be absolutely, under NO circumstances, ANY military cow cookies involved.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

I am on the Color Guard Funeral Detail for our military veterans.

Last year I attended 29 funerals. I have attended 3 so far this year, but one of those was for a classmate's mother. (I mention that because lately I have not been going to funerals for anyone other than veterans. It is not that I don't do funerals. It is just that I haven't needed to go to any funerals lately - other than veterans. Yes, 8 out of 10 times I actually knew the veteran.)

Anyway, I attend funerals - and do the things I have to do, when the temperature is 20 degrees below zero or 100 degrees; when it is snowing, raining, "sunning" (hot), or just a beautiful day.

Sometimes there are more people in the Funeral Detail than there are attending the services. That is really sad - and I am always honored to be in attendance regardless of the weather.

Your friend's sign is correct - by my observation. I will steal it and make sure the others guys on the Funeral Detail see it. They will get a kick out of it, because when you do the things we do, it helps to have a sense of humor.

DSC_0934_zpskmlq7ek8.jpg

Thank you for what you do. No veteran should be alone on that final day. Yesterday, I attended this service for a Lady Warrior who died alone. Her service to this nation was honored by over 100 people, none of whom knew her. With the work we do for MIAP, we are notified when one of these homeless vet services is planned.
    Female%20vet%20burial_1488253161322_8778216_ver1.0.JPG?preset=534-401

It was a very moving service, and included about 30 young people from a local high school, many of whom were very moved by the sad facts of this veteran's passing. The committal shelter was far too small, the weather was Oregon Wet Sunshine, and still they came. I am in the video at 1:24 seated next to the young lady singing and leaning on my cane. We will add Casey Finnegan to our family, and place flowers when we visit on Veterans Day. As the man who launched our group on its mission used to say "It is the right thing to do."

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/homeless-veteran-laid-to-rest-with-full-military-honors/415778006

It is said that everyone dies twice: Once when the heart stops, the second when their name is spoken for the last time.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    snip . . .

No veteran should be alone on that final day.

. . . snip

Occasionally we get a notice from the funeral home that our presence is requested at the funeral service.

That usually is very bad news - because it means that nobody else will be there except a very few of the family - and us. [V]