In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping from Florida to California??

BruceGFLBruceGFL Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Hey All,
I need to send a bolt action rifle from Florida to an FFL in California. Since I own it is this something I can do myself or is there a dealer in the Central Florida (Orlando) area who can handle this. I started with the largest I know, Shoot Straight, and they said no.

Appreciate the help

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Al's army Navy. I'm not certain on Californa laws from a non FFl but alot of FFL won't receive from a private seller even though that it is legal
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal law allows you to send the rifle to an FFL. So does CA law. FL I don't know but I think it's OK.

Some FFLs are so afraid of the ATF they don't accept shipments from unlicensed shippers. Ask the CA FFL before sending.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you both Gentlemen, what town is Al's Army Navy in please?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They have 3 locations one on OBT, Altamonte, and Sanford the one on the trail treats me real good I haven't used the other ones but they will receve a non FFL transfer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, if the FFL in California will accept the shipment from me personally, should it go FedEx or UPS? No more California for me Brothers!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will not endorse UPS last two rifles that they delivered to me had broken stocks
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BruceGFL
    Okay, if the FFL in California will accept the shipment from me personally, should it go FedEx or UPS? No more California for me Brothers!

I've always had best luck with UPS. FedEx still gets hyper when I send through them, UPS does so many they seem bored. The closest FedEx from my work that will take a rifle is right across Market St - kind of fun walking down the middle of downtown SF (and past Feinstein's office) lugging an AR or Volquartsen ..[:D])

It's actually easier for you (non-FFL) to send to CA than a FFL dealer - the FFL dealer has to do the "CFLC" bit, which is why some don't, but you do not. Figuring out if the CA FFL will accept is, I think, the buyer's responsibility - I'd bounce the question and requirements to him.

Instead of not sending to CA in the future, maybe charge a few bucks extra for your extra work?
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Um, the procedure is exactly the same for any state. FFLs shipping to CA must register with state DOJ but for an unlicensed person there is no difference between shipping to CA or TX or any other state.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is legal (as he just said) for you to MAIL a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. UPS or FedEx, you will need to take it to a hub to ship. Pack well, with extra padding at muzzle and butt. So long as the recieving FFL is agreeable, you do not have to have a FFL ship it for you. DO send a xerox of your Driver's license so FFL has info to log gun IN to his book.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:DO send a xerox of your Driver's license so FFL has info to log gun IN to his book.Damn!! How old are you?[:0][:o)]
  • Options
    c133c133 Member Posts: 608 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find an inexpensive rifle case, pack it well, include a copy of your Florida D/L and take it over the Post Office. Send it "PRIORITY MAIL" w/Delivery Confirmation. (This way you'll know when it reaches the FFL) Check to see if the buyer wants it insured, if so, add that to the shipping charge.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boomerang
    quote:DO send a xerox of your Driver's license so FFL has info to log gun IN to his book.Damn!! How old are you?[:0][:o)]
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be a GREATgrandfather in May. I have boots older than you.

Unlike you, the boots are still in good shape. [:p]
  • Options
    Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    It is legal (as he just said) for you to MAIL a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. UPS or FedEx, you will need to take it to a hub to ship. Pack well, with extra padding at muzzle and butt. So long as the recieving FFL is agreeable, you do not have to have a FFL ship it for you. DO send a xerox of your Driver's license so FFL has info to log gun IN to his book.
    Well that's news to me. I thought only FFLs could ship via USPS unless it's blackpowder. I've always used UPS although they did break one before. FedEx seems to get too tore up over guns or ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only a Dealer or Manufacturer can mail a handgun. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by unlicensed persons. Domestic Mail Manual section 431.4-

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 431.2b and c.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BruceGFL

Why not? As soon as you have your answer from the FFL if he'll accept it from a non FFL (which is a problem from FFL OUTSIDE of California too, by the way) the next ones will be easy.