In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

buying from auction side

wsm 325wsm 325 Member Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
when the description says buyer pays actual shipping charges should this be considered to be in a flat rate usps box or which way? i have been tryin to get a hold of the seller all week about combining 2 auctions. they end here soon and still no reply. the shipping cost plays a big factor if i bid on the auction or not.

Comments

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    If you have been trying to get an answer all week, the shipping charges may be the least of your worries...

Probably just go to UPS website and estimate weight of the item(s) in a non-flat rate box from his state to yours. That should be your worst case scenario.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I list an item and state actual shipping charges this means whatever is most economical. Sometimes the buyer wants a specific shipper (UPS instead of US Mail) and naturally I honor his request...And charge him accordingly. If the items(s) can fit is a flat rate box I always say so and then list the shipping charges to reflect the amount charge for flat rate shipping. Insurance is always at the buyer's discretion and will add to the over all costs. Some sellers won't combine items from different auctions into one shippment.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Auction side has had some problems with email returns this week.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actual shipping charges =

Gas and time to go buy a box and supplies = $10
    Cost of packing material = $5
    Cost of tape = $5
    Gas and time to go mail the box = $10
    Actual postage = $5.95
    Total "actual shipping charges" = $35.95

OR

Take it to a professional packing/shipping store = $45.95

OR

Box is free from the post office = $0
    Uses newspaper as packing material = $0
    Has to drive by the post office anyway = $0
    Postage = $5.95
    Total "actual shipping charges" = $5.95

I have seen all three of these scenarios played out.

If I do not get a response, with exact shipping charges, I do not bid.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always try to quote a fair S&H in my auctions. Usually $6 to $14 for any under 15 pound box to the 48 states. But today I just shipped out a
    4 pound box from TN. to Texas using UPS and it cost $15.00 !!! The girl in the UPS store said ALL the rates went up a lot because of the sudden surge of gas prices this week. Just BS in my mind. bob
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Actual shipping charges =

Gas and time to go buy a box and supplies = $10
    Cost of packing material = $5
    Cost of tape = $5
    Gas and time to go mail the box = $10
    Actual postage = $5.95
    Total "actual shipping charges" = $35.95

OR

Take it to a professional packing/shipping store = $45.95

OR

Box is free from the post office = $0
    Uses newspaper as packing material = $0
    Has to drive by the post office anyway = $0
    Postage = $5.95
    Total "actual shipping charges" = $5.95

I have seen all three of these scenarios played out.

If I do not get a response, with exact shipping charges, I do not bid.

I started using "actual shipping charges" for postage as well recently to provide the cheapest shipping costs possible for clients (Your third senario), I had several complain that flat rate priority mail was too expensive.

Which way do most customers prefer? I want to provide the cheapest and best service possible. Now I am not sure which way to go. Please post ya'll's views and any other ways to provide the best service at the lowest cost without taking the shipping costs out of a buyers profits.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I collect a certian brand ammo. Always comes UPS one box at a time. No rime or reason. 2 boxes from Mich came. One $6. The other $14
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,020 ******
    edited November -1
    "If I do not get a response, with exact shipping charges, I do not bid."
    Ditto.
    Once bitten, twice shy.
    If you are the successful bidder on an "actual shipping costs" auction and do not get an estimate before bidding, the seller may charge far more than you deem reasonable. Your choices are:
    Pay the man, or:
    Get nailed as a non-paying bidder.

All the major carriers charge way too much for delivery, anyway. Heck, their truck comes right by my house.!?!?
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost almost $100 on what I THOUGHT it would cost to ship a Barret 82A1. Shipping two things together MAY cost more just because the oversized box charge plus the weight will shoot the price UP to over what it would cost to ship the two in seperate boxes. Try it both ways if you do start to figure things up when you do hear from him. You can go to the shipping estimate on UPS's website if you enter the zip codes from him to you and approx box size and weight.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my buy experiences have been all good from gb.
    but ditto on i would not deal with unknown pricing.
    i have seen, free, $15 to $50,for same item on shipping.