In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

military oath

glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
The wife has just read in the National Law Journal that obama wants to change the Military Pledge oath to the President not the constitution.If true sounds like he wants to be our first dictator.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It is already in there that they will obey the orders of the President of the United States..

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it odd that officers don't swear to obey the president...hmmm...It's still in the UCMJ, though.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    It is already in there that they will obey the orders of the President of the United States..

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

...but it's subservient to the Constitution and Regulations.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glyn
    The wife has just read in the National Law Journal that obama wants to change the Military Pledge oath to the President not the constitution.If true sounds like he wants to be our first dictator.

You mean as in:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the President of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me as the President may direct. So help me Allah.
    What's next?
  • lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cce1302

i was an officer in the usmc and affirmed that oath.

pat