In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can U read a map ?

walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Map Reading

I am surprised that most people do not know this.
All Hi-ways going east to west or reverse are
even route numbers
All Hi-ways going north to south or reverse are
odd route numbers

lostmap.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The Interstate Highway system

North/South: Odd numbers
    East/West: Even numbers
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Followup: There's also a 'structure' to the I-295, I-495, I-695 and I-895 designations (any major highway, using I-95 as an example).

Does anybody remember what the coding represents? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Escape route from major nuclear bomb targets.
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    crap, i thought we were going to break out the topo maps and talk terrain features....

you don't need a map to drive in america thanks to the masons. it's all squared away!
  • Options
    wild cat manwild cat man Member Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    need a map to get around bypass city like atlanta on where to get off
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In an effort to answer Givette here goes nothing.

IIRC the coding goes like this the last two digits of the a three digit freeway are the same as the major highway on which it is located i.e. I-95 would have I-295 etc for the bypasses for this freeway, with each city having its own.

If the first number is even then it designates a true bypass that goes around the city at the north side (still using I-95) and reconnects at the south side, or in some instances making a complete circle, in other instances (town not that big or geography-like Chicago, would be a couple of reasons for it not making a complete circle).

IIRC if the first number is odd it is a "spur." It comes off of the main freeway and goes towards a certain area and deadends.

Again this is from memory and I don't have a map in front of me but I am pretty sure it goes something like this.