In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Super Speeder Tickets

hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Got an email from the chief of police in my town.Stating that now in Georgia you will get a ticket on an interstate for going 85 or a highway for going 75 or more you will now have an additional fine of $200 to pay to the state.This comes 30 days after you have been convicted and paid your fines and court costs.Failure to do so within 90 days your license is suspended and more fines added plus $50 to get your license back.First ticket 75 in a 55 gonna cost you $435.

Comments

• txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's nice, that way they can raise some dough! Jerks, I reckon I better not speed through GA.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was playing on the interstate last month and was going 154 mph got in traffic and had to slow down. I was about 1/2 throttle. Its funny the faster the car goes the better the ride. Anybody know how fast the 90 corvette goes?
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    damn here in ND its only like a 20.00 for 10 mph over. I dont know about over that. I know is SD its 80.00 for 10 mph over. I usally just set the cruse at 80 on the interstate and 70 on the highway.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    If I had a brother in jail and a brother in Georgia, I'd get the one out of Georgia first.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I was playing on the interstate last month and was going 154 mph got in traffic and had to slow down. I was about 1/2 throttle. Its funny the faster the car goes the better the ride. Anybody know how fast the 90 corvette goes?

Why would you want to go that fast on any public road???[xx(][xx(]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I don't know about a '90 Vette. But I was road testing a rebuilt Holley on a '69 Dodge 383, and opened it wide in 4th gear. The speedometer needle went past 120, and past the right turn signal indicator, and then went clean out of sight. I started to lose steering traction because of body lift, the thing was actually starting to fly. Right then I entered on a bridge, and a County car was sitting just off the end of the bridge with a radar unit. When I went by, his antennas were twanged right down to the car body by the wake, right before he disappeared in all the dust. I figured if I kept going, they would never catch me, but they had another car waiting about a mile down. So, I stopped. The first Officer to arrive walked right past me without even looking at me, and looked at both front tires. Then he walked back to his car, repeatedly muttering "Not in broad daylight". But I was sober, traffic was light, the pavement was dry, and---I was a current college classmate of one of the Officers who were there. I got a $10 ticket for illegal mufflers. There's always a reason to like Cops.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny how Hwy 85 is 70MPH. So there going to pull me over for going 5MPH over?
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How fast can a '90 Corvette go? Faster than the speed rating on most tires you can buy. Question is not how fast the engine can turn the wheels, it's how fast the wheels can turn before the tires pull away from the rim, which is a REALLY bad feeling. IIRC, my first (and only) experience with that was with a Plymouth. About a 72. Fury 1. 440 engine. Yeah, it leaves a mark when it does that.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    11b6r
    Advanced Member

USA
    6544 Posts
    Posted - 05/14/2009 : 9:21:00 PM

How fast can a '90 Corvette go? Faster than the speed rating on most tires you can buy. Question is not how fast the engine can turn the wheels, it's how fast the wheels can turn before the tires pull away from the rim, which is a REALLY bad feeling. IIRC, my first (and only) experience with that was with a Plymouth. About a 72. Fury 1. 440 engine. Yeah, it leaves a mark when it does that.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
    ================================================================================

Are you kidding me? You must watch too much television/cartoons. If I remember correctly "Z" rated tires are good for sustained speeds above 154 MPH. As to the question "how fast will a '90 Corvette go" assumeing it's all stock and in excellent mechainical shape I think close to 183 MPH prior to computer cutting spark to random cylinders.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656

Highway 85 is 55mph interstate 85 is 70mph at least where I live.And I did state that in the post.85mph interstate,75 highway.[:D]
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656

Highway 85 is 55mph interstate 85 is 70mph at least where I live.And I did state that in the post.85mph interstate,75 highway.[:D]

yeah i meant Interstate
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah...and they are going to enforce this HOW?????

85 is just about the MINIMAL speed on the interstate in Atlanta!!!
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Local and County Cops have to 'give' 10 mph, except in a school or work zone, where it's 5 mph. State Troopers can ticket you for 1 mph over the limit although they usually give the 10 or 5.

On the interstates where the speed limit is mostly 70 mph, speeds in excess of 85 get the super speeder ticket. If you have to run fast enough to be declared a super speeder you deserve the designation!

How they'll collect? After you settle in court the state will send you a bill for the addtional $200. Don't pay? Your license will be suspended.

Welcome to Georgia! Ya'll drive safe now, ya hear??

• mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    Got an email from the chief of police in my town.Stating that now in Georgia you will get a ticket on an interstate for going 85 or a highway for going 75 or more you will now have an additional fine of $200 to pay to the state.This comes 30 days after you have been convicted and paid your fines and court costs.Failure to do so within 90 days your license is suspended and more fines added plus $50 to get your license back.First ticket 75 in a 55 gonna cost you $435.

There has been an Over 100 mph ticket here in CA for the past several years. This one carries a very stiff additional fine and also counts as two points (rather than just one) against your driving record. Back in 2005 I had a CHP officer write me up for going 101 mph specifically to hit me with this ticket but the judge did not like his methods (neither did I) and reduced the speed to 95 mph. Still a harsh fine (and no chance of traffic school) but not nearly as ruthless as the Over 100 mph ticket.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shifted out of 4th gear in a 99' C5 corvette at 155mph, but ran out of road. I had 2 more gears too.[}:)]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965

Umm, a 90 Corvette will top end around 140ish, if the car is in tip top shape. Sounds like your unit may have expierence a tad bit of abuse... What I can say is you were not at half throtle, you had it on the floor winding out 4th.

UNLESS you happen to be driving a ZR1 or a Callaway and I betting you weren't.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I shifted out of 4th gear in a 99' C5 corvette at 155mph, but ran out of road. I had 2 more gears too.[}:)]

Hmm, 99 Vette was rated at 345hp and given a top speed rating of 172mph by GM. Some have pushed that speed upwards of 180... But they had fine tuned engines and they were people of knowledge and means.

I am pretty sure Z rated tires were increased to 175 somewhere around '01 when the ZO6 emerged.

But if you shifted out of 4th, that means you were in 5th and you didn't have 2 gears to go, you had one and NOONE would EVER shift to 6th at 150MPH. 6th is a cruising gear, not a pulling gear.

Nothing chaps my arce more than nimods running top speed on public roads.
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Was doing a ride along with the Georgia State Patrol in a test Camaro. Radar unit checked speed at 157mph, damn near scared the sheet outta me when it broke traction. Luckily Trooper was a top notch driver. And usually, cops don't pay much attention on the interstate until you hit 90+mph. At that speed, you deserve a ticket, regardless of fine.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fastest I've driven = 168ish

Fastest I've ridden = 212

Car - Nissan Skyline R34

Location - Tampa, FL

Tori got a ticket just before I met her for 96 in a 45 construction zone.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wartiger
    Was doing a ride along with the Georgia State Patrol in a test Camaro. Radar unit checked speed at 157mph, damn near scared the sheet outta me when it broke traction. Luckily Trooper was a top notch driver. And usually, cops don't pay much attention on the interstate until you hit 90+mph. At that speed, you deserve a ticket, regardless of fine.

Apparently you failed to read the original post of this thread. I know an Alabama State Trooper who said you are a liar... I have to agree with one thing, I seriously can't belive a Trooper would be so wreckless as to reach speed of 157 on a public road with a civilian on board no less. Sounds like he has no reguard for public safety or state property.

And I am not so sure the new camaro could reach 157 or not... Airzona and New Mexico have never (to my knowledge) used camaro or mustangs and I would find it far easier to belive this knuckleheadedness would take place more often in the desert than in Georgia
    edited November -1
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Most speedometers are not accurate over 130ish. I saw a test between a corvette, lamborghini and lotus. The lambo showed 212, the lotus 170 and the vette 184. The radar tested speeds were 155, 145 and 150, respectively. This was an old test done by car and driver. No way I believe a vette will do even close to 200 unless it is suped up.

While in Europe and driving my 1978 350SE Mercedes on the Autobahn, I was doing 144mph (231kph) and this was a car designed for top speed. I could not get any more out of it.
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The law just started a new program that runs from Green Bay south on the 4-laners and covers 6 states I believe.............speeding and not just a few miles over.

First offense is $300 plus costs, second goes to something like $450 and so on, then you start losing your license, state doesn't matter.

Too many head-ons and losing control at high speeds, crossing lanes, rolling semis, trying to plow ditches, and all sorts of exciting events.

They got a couple thousand the first day or so. Will continue for some time.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ZO-6 Corvette will run almost 200 and a ZR-1 Will do 205. Ford GT40 will run 205+ These are factory cars, no modifications.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    ZO-6 Corvette will run almost 200 and a ZR-1 Will do 205. Ford GT40 will run 205+ These are factory cars, no modifications.

Those are factory suped up. Suped is suped!
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And I am not so sure the new camaro could reach 157 or not... Airzona and New Mexico have never (to my knowledge) used camaro or mustangs and I would find it far easier to belive this knuckleheadedness would take place more often in the desert than in Georgia
    [/quote]

In 1989 Arizona State Patrol used Mustangs. I was a passenger in a rented Caddy. We were pulled over for going 100mph by a trooper in a Mustang.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99 trans am has a 168 fuel shutoff. LS-1 factory. The timed MHP runs are the most accurate.
  • adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
  • sundvlaa15sundvlaa15 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Wa, the WSP, they drive almost anything any more. Most marked are Crown Vic's or Mustangs, also an occasional SUV. The un-marked include the previous mentioned. Then it hits the fan[:0]! On the Olympic Peninsulia, between the Hood Canal Bridge and Port Angeles we have Chargers, Crossfires and my neighbor claims he saw a red Impala or Malibu! I believe the IMP, but a Malibu![;)]

Some of the SUV are Truck Weight Enforcement or Accident Investigation, not actually regular Duty Troopers.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear

Apparently you failed to read the original post of this thread. I know an Alabama State Trooper who said you are a liar... I have to agree with one thing, I seriously can't belive a Trooper would be so wreckless as to reach speed of 157 on a public road with a civilian on board no less. Sounds like he has no reguard for public safety or state property.

Arizona used mustangs for sure, how do I know? I was pulled over by one 18 years ago. It was an ugly little notch back
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just heard on the news. Oregon has 100mph program aimed at Motorcycles. Going to really nail you to the wall.

Glad I no longer have my Katana. 1st day going down I-5 in Eugene. Not watching my speed looked down and was going 120MPH. Was waiting for the wooble to start. My old bike that I just got rid of had a Wooble that started at about 75. So that kept my speed down.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Just heard on the news. Oregon has 100mph program aimed at Motorcycles. Going to really nail you to the wall.

Glad I no longer have my Katana. 1st day going down I-5 in Eugene. Not watching my speed looked down and was going 120MPH. Was waiting for the wooble to start. My old bike that I just got rid of had a Wooble that started at about 75. So that kept my speed down.
    police must be better in your area than in mine. I have never seen a police officer catch a speeding cyclist unless they voluntarily pulled over for them. Bikes just have too much of an advantage in suburbia I guess
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1

Sir, first off, the camaros and mustangs that were used by the GSP are not stock. They have been bumped up. Second, I am not a "civilian" as you put it. I am a police officer (have been for 15 years) here in Georgia and I am VERY aware of the new law in my state. As a officer who has worked many years on interstates and highways, I think I can attest to the general attitude of officers here in Georgia.And MY post was simply to compare the vette to a not-so-stock police package camaro, since the speed of the vette was brought up. I am no liar sir, and I take offense to your statement. And finally, it was a "demo" camaro and it was on the interstate, responding to a vehicle rollover with a pinned in victim. And your Alabama Trooper friend needs to check his facts before calling names.
    edited November -1

Sir, first off, the camaros and mustangs that were used by the GSP are not stock. They have been bumped up. Second, I am not a "civilian" as you put it. I am a police officer (have been for 15 years) here in Georgia and I am VERY aware of the new law in my state. As a officer who has worked many years on interstates and highways, I think I can attest to the general attitude of officers here in Georgia.And MY post was simply to compare the vette to a not-so-stock police package camaro, since the speed of the vette was brought up. I am no liar sir, and I take offense to your statement. And finally, it was a "demo" camaro and it was on the interstate, responding to a vehicle rollover with a pinned in victim. And your Alabama Trooper friend needs to check his facts before calling names.
    Don't go adding facts to disprove others assumptions. WE all know that peoples perceptions, and holier than thou pedestal preaching are more important than your "facts".
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Calif Veh Code law for over 100 MPH sec 22348(b) has been on the books for many years. I have written a bunch of folks for it.

For a 1st offense the fine can be up to $500 and the judge "may" suspend the license for up to 30 days.

For a second conviction within 3 years of the first, again a fine up to $500 and the judge must suspend the license for 6 months.

And then it gets worse.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Mostly what I See GSP running are Crown Vics w/24"wheels equipped with the spinner centers. Them boys holds de High points kinda sideways too. says it don tangled in de bling bling
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oct 19th, 2005...High speed runs on our ZX12 Ninjas on a straight county road with no intersections or houses...at around 175 indicated (probably 160-165 actual) oncoming car, back off throttle..oncoming car has something on the roof...hit brakes...state trooper on his way into work..aww crap. Locked in at 138 in a 55 [:(]