In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

REAL Gun Question.

footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Saw a Brng BLR today. Anybody own one That they shoot or hunt with[?]

Comments

• 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is Browning to long of a word for you to spell out?
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot one in a .243. Very enjoyable little gun.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bownings (IMHO) are the most underated rifle out there. They were well made, accurate, and reliable. I have my Dad's BAR in .243 that has taken over 2 dozen Virginia Whitetail deer with one shot. It is my only FACTORY autoloader that will shoot sub MOA at 100 meters. The levers are very similar.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Had a BLR81 in 358 Winchester. Good quality.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite deer rifle is my mod.81 in .243.
    [^]barto[^]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a blr take down love it!!! very accurate mine is chamber in 308
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The new Browning shotguns are having a lot of problems..
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    I have my Dad's BAR in .243 that has taken over 2 dozen Virginia Whitetail deer with one shot.

2 dozen deer with one shot! Not only an amazing rifle, an amazing shooter as well![:D]
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I like them, they are a perfect lever gun, reasonably priced compared to other hunting levers and I like the number of calibers available.
    I have a 308 I have fired it for practice but never taken it in the woods I guess cuz I don't want to scratch it.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Bownings (IMHO) are the most underated rifle out there. They were well made, accurate, and reliable. I have my Dad's BAR in .243 that has taken over 2 dozen Virginia Whitetail deer with one shot. It is my only FACTORY autoloader that will shoot sub MOA at 100 meters. The levers are very similar.

I have to call BS on this. I know people have taken two deer with one shot, some claim to have killed three with one shot. But to kill two dozen?

I think what you meant to say was two dozen with one shot APIECE.
  • westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing I dislike about them is that the action is a bit complicated to completely take down and put back together. If the cams get the least bit out of whack, the gun won't work.

Besides that they're scary accurate for a lever gun!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I had one in .308.

One of my all-time favorite firearms.

Doug
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had an 81 in .257. Never should have let that one go!![:(][:(]
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Brownings. My favorite deer rifle is a Browning 78, in 243.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Note to swear and rhythm- It's really hard to get them lined up just right, and you have to find .243 AP ammo, or the bullet stops in the first dozen.......[:p]

Yes, I did mean one shot/ one deer. [:p]

There are a lot of members to the Winchester Fan Club, but to me the Browning rifles have always been well made, accurate, and reliable.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a lever action.....yet,but the automatic I have in a 300 WIN mag calibur is a fine gun, its a 1971 model grade 2 . The quality of the machine work and the finish both on the wood and the metal have always been great other than when they used that salt process in prepping the stocks and forearms on the lighter color tones. It caused some corrosion where the salt impregnated wood made contact with the metal .Never happenen to my guns,I only have the dark finish on mine.