In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

the post about tresspassing..........

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
got me thinking about an old story about a cousin of mine, the land around our family farm at that time was public hunting, my cousin built a treestand in a nice place just over on the public land. Opening morning he went down and found a guy up in his treestand, the fellow claimed he built it and wasn't coming down. My cousin just sat down at the base of the tree lit a cigarette and smoked it. he said every 10-15 minutes he pull his pistol out shoot a round and then light another cigarette, just over and hour the fellow climbed down, cussing the whole time and walked back up the hill and left. My cousin never saw him again. granted it was public land, but it would take some balls to climb in another guys stand, then swear you built it.....[B)]

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some years back we had a guy get shot for that poop.
    As I recall, both were feruners,(from out of county). The first had been up the weekend before and put up a tree stand. The following weekend someone had commandeered his tree stand. Heated words were exchanged and, as I understood it, the interloper was the one got shot.
    Mind you, this all occurred on public land north of the reservoir.
    Quite a few of the locals, myself included, use the public lands around the reservoir and the biggest problems we run into are the feruners who think their long drive entitles them to the whole bleening area to themselves.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have had live traps and feeders and roads run across my property by STRANGERS telling me they HAD HUNTING RIGHTS...sheriff, deputy , and game warden proved otherwise...last azzhole bunch were a Barton county deputy, college prof, and some dude from oklahoma..got the big FU from me
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in a lot of states permanent stands are not permitted on state ground, and in some that do permit it, using the stand is for "who gets there first". antics like what you described will get you tickets with a "interferring with a lawful hunt" citation from Mr greenJeans
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    not if he claims he was shooting at a deer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "i was shooting at a duck" doesn't work too well either when you have no ducks to show. and Mr greenjeans finds you sitting underneath a legal hunter.quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have went back home and got my chain saw.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    to remove a stand that wasn't supposed to be there in the 1st place.
    yep quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    I would have went back home and got my chain saw.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    "i was shooting at a duck" doesn't work too well either when you have no ducks to show. and Mr greenjeans finds you sitting underneath a legal hunter.quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel

so, I shoot at a deer (it ain't duck season btw) and miss. now I have to prove there was a deer and the other guy doesn't have to prove there wasn't?? hhuuummmmm, ok.

and the shooter doesn't have to be beneath the stand to run off the deer. 50 yards away will do it just fine.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had people try to run me off my own land. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you are correct in that 50 yards away, very little can be done to the shooter. if he was banging his tom tom [:0] then ya, he is interferingquote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad

so, I shoot at a deer (it ain't duck season btw) and miss. now I have to prove there was a deer and the other guy doesn't have to prove there wasn't?? hhuuummmmm, ok.

and the shooter doesn't have to be beneath the stand to run off the deer. 50 yards away will do it just fine.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Ala, a hunter must have written permission from the land owner or the fine is $1,000. For non-hunters, land owner needs signs/purple paint or prove the trespasser knows he is in violation (been warned before, etc,).