In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Florida Town bans gun neighborhood watch

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-city-bans-guns-neighborhood-watch-volunteers-170449357--finance.html

By Barbara Liston

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The Florida city where neighborhood watch leader George Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin is changing the rules on how civilian patrols can operate to help prevent a recurrence and revive the program's reputation.

The new rules, to be released at a community meeting on November 5 in Sanford, Florida, will state explicitly that residents acting under the authority of neighborhood watch may not carry a firearm or pursue someone they deem suspicious.

"Neighborhood watch was always intended to be a program where you observe what is going on and report it to police. In light of everything that has gone on, that's what we're really going to go back and push. That's what this program is and that's all it is," said Shannon Cordingly, spokeswoman for the Sanford Police Department.

Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, was acquitted in July in the February 2012 death of Martin.
Trayvon's Mother Denounces 'Stand Your Ground'Play video."
Trayvon's Mother Denounces 'Stand Your Ground'

The prosecution accused him of racially profiling Martin, a high school student visiting from Miami, and then pursuing, confronting and shooting him.

The jury considered Zimmerman's self-defense claim in light of Florida's Stand Your Ground law, which rescinded the duty of citizens to try to retreat from a confrontation.

"People in the community are nervous to join a group (neighborhood watch) that was tarnished in the media and got a bad image with everything that happened. We really want to put those fears to rest and get the community going on the program," Cordingly said.

Neighborhood watch was formally organized in 1972 under the National Sheriffs' Association.

It began as a response to the notorious 1964 murder of Catherine Susan "Kitty" Genovese, whose cries for help as she was attacked outside her Queens apartment were ignored by dozens of neighbors. One was famously quoted as saying she didn't want to get involved.
Local Police Chief Has 'concerns' About ZimmermanPlay video."
Local Police Chief Has 'concerns' About Zimmerman

Today's neighborhood groups often are untrained and unsupervised by police, vary in their dedication to the job, and remain unregistered with either the sheriffs' association or local police agencies.

In 2011, when Zimmerman organized a watch group in his gated neighborhood, Sanford police offered a handbook and a presentation by a police volunteer explaining the role of the group in helping deter crime.

Sanford's new rules are laid out in a more detailed handbook and will require neighborhood watch groups to undergo training, register members with the police department and regularly update their status with the department, Cordingly said.

The neighborhood watch program will be overseen by the department's new full-time three-officer community relations unit, she said.

Cordingly said the police department for the first time will map out the locations and keep track of neighborhood watch groups.

She said any neighborhood watch member who violates the rules, including carrying a weapon, will face removal from the program but will not be charged with a crime.

Martin's family in April settled their wrongful death claim for Trayvon's death against The Retreat at Twin Lakes subdivision for what was reportedly at least $1 million.

( This story has been corrected to fix date of Martin's death in 4th paragraph to February 2012 from July 2012))

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, was acquitted in July in the February 2012 death of Martin.

So now he is Hispanic. Before he was White but now he has been acquitted he is Hispanic..................I see how that works[xx(]

This country's New Media is a jacked up as this country is[V]
    RLTW

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now they can watch their town go to hell.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Take out a page ad in the newspaper. Dear Criminals, there are No night watchmen guarding the installation. Please pick up your skittles and arizona tea trash as you leave.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "ORLANDO", in my book,ain't "Florida"..
    I have been there though.....ONCE!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Florida CCW laws
    How do they work?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    Florida CCW laws
    How do they work?
    It is a RIGHT TO CARRY STATE. If you're clean, they pretty-much HAVE to issue a CCL.(Concealed Carry Lic.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Florida CCW laws
    How do they work?
    It is a RIGHT TO CARRY STATE. If you're clean, they pretty-much HAVE to issue a CCL.(Concealed Carry Lic.)
    but no open carry. Correct?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is correct.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This article is about how NIGHT WATCHMEN cannot carry a firearm. Says nothing about anyone else carry a firearm. Only night watchmen. So.. I would bet No one will apply for the position. Leaving no security for the place.
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    100% sure to cost the city thousands in legal fees when the florida sup court knocks it down.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't say Barbara Liston has lost credibility with me because I've never heard of her, so she never had any.

The most polite way I can think of to say this is she pulled this statement out of her *:

"The jury considered Zimmerman's self-defense claim in light of Florida's Stand Your Ground law, which rescinded the duty of citizens to try to retreat from a confrontation."

Fact is Zimmerman's defense never used or considered using the "Stand Your Ground Law" in his defense. He plead the standard "Self Defense", same as was used for centuries.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    This article is about how NIGHT WATCHMEN cannot carry a firearm. Says nothing about anyone else carry a firearm. Only night watchmen. So.. I would bet No one will apply for the position. Leaving no security for the place.
    Right, but if a citizen retains the right and being a night watchman does not revoke their citizenship then they retain the right. That is the point.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neighborhood watch people have no official police powers. They are simply neighbors who have volunteered to walk around and call in if they see something suspicious. Anyone who wants to be vigilant in the neighborhood can do so without joining their little organization. Anyone can walk their dog around the neighborhood and make a call if they see something out of order. The part about being unarmed is pure BS being put out for the press. They will never know if any of them are carrying, if it is done properly. Concealed means concealed. Any who aren't carrying are FOOLS. [xx(] My advice for any residents, neighborhood watch or not, is to carry concealed whenever they go out. Take your phone and make any calls you deem appropriate. If threatened by anyone, defend yourself. Pretty simple.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    ...this surprises me from Florida,,[:0][:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    The neighborhood watch people have no official police powers. They are simply neighbors who have volunteered to walk around and call in if they see something suspicious. Anyone who wants to be vigilant in the neighborhood can do so without joining their little organization. Anyone can walk their dog around the neighborhood and make a call if they see something out of order. The part about being unarmed is pure BS being put out for the press. They will never know if any of them are carrying, if it is done properly. Concealed means concealed. Any who aren't carrying are FOOLS. [xx(] My advice for any residents, neighborhood watch or not, is to carry concealed whenever they go out. Take your phone and make any calls you deem appropriate. If threatened by anyone, defend yourself. Pretty simple.
    Things change significantly (in the minds of some) if you carry against a neighborhood watch's recommendation, when you have to use said arm.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I HAVE to use it, I couldn't give a rat's * what others think. That is, unless it is a DA or a jury. In that case, it will come down to the law and not what a bunch of limpwrists on the watch patrol think. [:D] Anyone who decides not to carry in that neighborhood based on what these dorks say, really shouldn't go outside without a handler anyway. [:D]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is anyone still volunteering after what happened to Zimmerman?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    That is correct.

Not necessarily.
    In Florida, you can legally open carry a loaded firearm while engaged in, or going to and from, Fishing, Hunting, and Camping.
    (But not in a vehicle while doing so.)
    And in some areas while 'to and from' a shooting range.
    (don't understand the last fully)

Allen
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But state law allows CCW anywhere
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But state law allows CCW anywhere except restricted by STATE law
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Is anyone still volunteering after what happened to Zimmerman?
    I doubt it...

That Florida town just issued an "ALL'S Welcome" invite to thieves and thugs...
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I won't say Barbara Liston has lost credibility with me because I've never heard of her, so she never had any.

The most polite way I can think of to say this is she pulled this statement out of her *:

"The jury considered Zimmerman's self-defense claim in light of Florida's Stand Your Ground law, which rescinded the duty of citizens to try to retreat from a confrontation."

Fact is Zimmerman's defense never used or considered using the "Stand Your Ground Law" in his defense. He plead the standard "Self Defense", same as was used for centuries.

Seems a lot (most if not ALL) of media people pull comments out of their * any more...