In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Humphrey Bogart

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Tomorrow is Humphrey Bogart day on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) Channel. Includes a few of the good ones. [:)]
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bogey was C[8D][8D]L!
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, thanks for the heads up !

Casablanca was on last night.

There are some good ones tomorrow !!!!!

I don't recall Bogart making a film I didn't like though.

[^][^][8D][^][^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up I just checked out what is playing and I will be watching.

The Big Sleep is one of my favorites.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Thanks for the heads up I just checked out what is playing and I will be watching.

The Big Sleep is one of my favorites.

+1
    General Sternwood: How do you like your brandy, sir?

Philip Marlowe: In a glass.

The 1978 Robert Mitchum version is good too.

[^][^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rely like His early Movies.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    There goes another day in front of the tube.[:D][:D][:D]Thanks for the tip.[:)]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    If it is on, I may watch The Caine Mutiny, yet again, and try to figure out why the lawyer who defended the mutineers was so sympathetic toward Queeg, and so hostile toward the men he defended.

I don't get it. Queeg was a nutjob and needed to be relieved. The men who relieved him saved the ship.

Maybe I don't get it because I used to work for Queeg.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    If it is on, I may watch The Caine Mutiny, yet again, and try to figure out why the lawyer who defended the mutineers was so sympathetic toward Queeg, and so hostile toward the men he defended.

I don't get it. Queeg was a nutjob and needed to be relieved. The men who relieved him saved the ship.

I believe he felt the crew were a bunch cynical slackers, following their own agenda and had they given Queeg and their jobs due respect the "mutiny" could have been avoided.
    Just my .02's.

[;)]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I prefer Key Largo.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

I believe he felt the crew were a bunch cynical slackers, following their own agenda and had they given Queeg and their jobs due respect the "mutiny" could have been avoided.
    Just my .02's.

[;)]

10 ring.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    African Queen is one of my favorite, tho' nothing beats Casablanca
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    In 1946, Bogart was the highest paid actor in Hollywood, making over $460 thousand per year.

Today, Angelina Jolie makes $30 Million per picture! [:0]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Bogey was C[8D][8D]L!

"The problem with the world is that evreyone is three drinks behind me"

I like a man who thinks like that!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Bogey was C[8D][8D]L!

"The problem with the world is that evreyone is three drinks behind me"

I like a man who thinks like that!

"The only good reason to have money is this: so that you can tell any SOB in the world to go to hell."
    ~ HB

[^][;)][:D]
  • Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is he any relation to " Bumpfree Hogfart" ??
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    "All the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, and she walks into mine."
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a great actor. Casablanca is a wonderful movie. Nobody but Bogart could have played that role.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A couple of weeks ago, I watched part of To Have And Have Not.

Lauren Bacall was 19 in that movie, and a stone babe. I read that she and Bogey became an item during the making of the movie, and remained that way for a long time. Bogart was 45 at the time. Wow.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite is the Caine Mutiny but the Left Hand of God is pretty good too.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am watching the Maltese Falcon right now.

300px-Webley-Fosbery_1837.jpg
    RLTW

• Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Movies? We don't need no stinking movies!
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of Bogart movies can be streamed online from Warner Brother's Instant Archive.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Hard to pick a favorite, "Casablanca" is the perfect movie, it has everything you watch movies for.

"The Big Sleep" is probably second. The chemistry between Bogie and Betty is undeniable, and I still watch that scene where they are talking about horse races but they aren't really talking about horse races and wonder how they slipped it past the censors.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    In 1946, Bogart was the highest paid actor in Hollywood, making over $460 thousand per year.

Today, Angelina Jolie makes $30 Million per picture! [:0]

Yeah, but she has a much finer butt than Bogey. [:D][;)] I guess some may disagree. [;)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords
    Hard to pick a favorite, "Casablanca" is the perfect movie, it has everything you watch movies for.

"The Big Sleep" is probably second. The chemistry between Bogie and Betty is undeniable, and I still watch that scene where they are talking about horse races but they aren't really talking about horse races and wonder how they slipped it past the censors.

My favorite B&B movie is To Have And Have Not. Least favorite is Key Largo. A good movie, but none of the charcters were very likable.

Sydney Greenstreet and HB were a great pairing. Casablanca and Across The Pacific - [^][;)][8D][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And Peter Lorre.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also like very much "The Petrified Forest." Bogie snagged the role of Duke Mantee after playing it on Broadway, Leslie Howard swore if it was ever made into a movie, he would make certain Bogie got the role.

Plus Bette Davis is in it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And Peter Lorre.

Great in Casablanca.
    Hilarious in Arsenic and Old Lace

[^][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And Peter Lorre.

Great in Casablanca.
    Hilarious in Arsenic and Old Lace

[^][:D]

Another great movie. Hooked my daughter on it when she was 10. I suspect he was a contract player. But always good.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite is Sahara.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Channel down, the bas@%*&ges ruined two DVD movies, in the works[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I watched the first part of The Caine Mutiny last night, and recorded the rest. Queeg was an overbearing, incompetent, micro-managing martinet from the moment he walked aboard the Caine. He should have been relieved of command when he allowed the ship to cut its own tow cable. I still have zero sympathy for his character, or anyone like him.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I still have zero sympathy for his character, or anyone like him.

Me too, however his officers did little to nothing to cooperate with or manage him to effectively captain the ship or accomplish their missions. That is why, in my opinion, their defense attorney had little respect for them as officers during the courtmartial. Compare the alledged mutineres to the character played by Lee Marvin who testified during the trial.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Last night was the first time I've seen The Caine Mutiny in almost sixty years. It was like watching it for the first time.

Both Captains, DeVriess and Queeg, were equally poor leaders on opposite ends of the scale. DeVriess did appear to be a competent ship handler. Queeg was inept at best.

Queeg made a habit of assuming the Conn when there was no reason to and numerous reasons he shouldn't have. He gave confusing orders to the helm and occasionally invalid orders which couldn't be obeyed even if the helmsman wanted to cover for him. For example he gave the order "come right" or "come left" a couple of times. The proper response from the helm to that order is "Orders to the helm!" When that order is given and attempted to be carried out it leaves it to the helmsman how much to come right or left and for how long and what course to steer, if any. "Steady as she goes" in a typhoon is simply stupid.

The target sled should have been secured before he headed to port. What was he going to do? Tow it to the pier?

The Officer of the Deck was usually absent from the bridge and it wasn't even clear that there was one. It appeared the watch section was poorly organized and duties of each watch poorly defined. He had a First Class Quartermaster on the helm who should have been overqualified by a long shot, but it wasn't at all clear that he knew his job.

The whole wardroom appeared to be in disarray, but the biggest worm in the can in my opinion was Lieutenant Keefer.

I could write a book longer than the movie script, but this is already too long. Anyhow, that's how I see it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    James, I know little to nothing about how Navy ships and Navy officers function, so you have the advantage of me there. My issue is with the character Captain Queeg, and since I once worked for a megalomaniacal, micro-managing martinet (how's that for an alliteration?) of a police chief, I strongly identified with the mutineers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't think it matters much what your line of work is when it comes to identifying that kind of personality. Most of us have worked for that type at one time or another. They refuse to take responsibility for their actions and I don't think anything can be done to change that. I've worked for them and had them work for me.

The Navy, and I assume police, are results oriented organizations, so as long as the job is getting done it's hard to justify taking any action against them.

I don't want to identify with that gang of losers, but where I do agree with them was taking over the ship. It wasn't really a mutiny because mutiny is a crime and they were found not guilty. Queeg had put his ship in extremis, then froze and was threatening to take it to its logical conclusion. When somebody is going to kill you for no good reason, intentionally or not, you're justified in taking charge.

The reason Queeg wasn't relieved of command when he lied about running over the target sled tow cable was nobody senior to him knew about it. One of the quickest ways to lose a command in the Navy is to lie about a screw-up. The Commanding Officer of our sister ship learned that the hard way in the Chesapeake Bay. He ran his ship aground on an uncharted sandbar. He was able to get it off without assistance. All he had to do was fess up and the worst that would have come of it was a little embarrassment.

He had the Ship's Yeoman change the deck log to show it never happened. The Yeoman who had good reason to hate the Captain made the changes to the smooth log, but when he sent it to the bureau he enclosed the hand written rough. A few days later when the Captain came to work he was met by the Commodore at the Quarterdeck. The Commodore personally relieved him on the spot and didn't allow him to cross the Quarterdeck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "I could write a book longer than the movie script, but this is already too long. Anyhow, that's how I see it."

JamesRK,
    I enjoyed reading your comments and opinions on Cain Mutiny and her Captains.

[^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JamesRK,

[^][^][^]

I appreciate that. I do have a tendency to get a little long winded on paper and computer screens sometimes. [;)] [:D]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    JamesRK,

[^][^][^]

I appreciate that. I do have a tendency to get a little long winded on paper and computer screens sometimes. [;)] [:D]

I don't see it as being long winded James... I see it as excellent penmanship... [;)]
    Long winded is when someone says more than they need to about nothing.

Never seen you do that as yet... And I suspect I never will.

BTW... I too, enjoyed your 'commentary'... [^]