In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

putting out flags for Memorial Day

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Getting ready with a couple of friends to place flags today. We go to obscure , forgotten cemetarys, ones that are overgrown and hunt for veterans that where their familys have long gone.

Most of the graves are the War of Northern Aggression , they are easiest to find, they have the government issued stones, but there are a couple of Spanish American and WW1.

If the WW2 vets have some sort of designation we obviously place flags there also, but we miss a lot where we just don't know if that person was a vet or not. The cemetery records have been lost.

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that is a thoughtful and patriotic endeavor.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decorating veteran's graves on Memorial Day is something that should be done - either by family or someone else. You are doing a very noble deed.

Do you go back and pick up the flags or . . . . . . ?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to go with Dad to put the flags out in our area. At one time, I could find every Veteran's grave in a 10 mile radius w/o any sort of map or list.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tiny old cemetary hidden in a valley by our lake place..some stones are so weathered and old nothing left on them and some obvious places they are gone...two big old dead pine trees still stand guard among the others shading most ...i like it
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Well that is a thoughtful and patriotic endeavor.
    indeed
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,198 ******
    edited November -1
    Our Legion puts them out at our town cemetery and also the surrounding family plots in the township.
    This is the first year I have missed in helping in the last 15 years due to food poisoning.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    Decorating veteran's graves on Memorial Day is something that should be done - either by family or someone else. You are doing a very noble deed.

No, I'm sorry to say that we do leave them and remove the old flags the next year. If we don't its almost impossible to find some of the graves again. I still think that some recogination none better than none. Most of the old flags are faded, but they still old a signifance.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless you Cornflk1 for your effort for a great recognition for the fallen heroes...

Pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cornflk1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

No, I'm sorry to say that we do leave them and remove the old flags the next year. If we don't its almost impossible to find some of the graves again. I still think that some recogination none better than none. Most of the old flags are faded, but they still old a signifance.

Thank you for your honest and direct answer.

I understand your reasoning - and do not disagree with your logic.

I believe you understand the intent of my question, but it sounds like you know - sometimes - you can't always do the "right" thing.

You are a good person. Thank you!
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cornflk1

I salute you sir!

While I'm no vet... I Thank you for your thoughtfulness!
    A very kind and generous endeavor for sure.
    I'm positive the vets who you've acknowledged would much appreciate your actions!

Great JOB! You make me proud. [^]