In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

#%&% new cars!

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
after 3 weeks, finally got the car running today, the only one we have right now... (no $$ for the parts)
had a sudden SEVERE oil leak, drive about 6-10 mi and add a quart or sometimes 2, looked to be coming from the STUPID neck for the oil filter ('95 buick 3.8 for those who know, the idiot "over the axle" location...)
still leaked like a seive!
had already replaced the pan gasket, ($50 and lift the motor 3" off the frame to do it!)
had made the gasket for the neck, but didnt have enought material for the timing cover, so had to wait for some incoming cash
ANOTHER $36!
after all was back to gether again, went to start it and it did... for about 1/2 second!
seems age and removing/replacing the "crank sensor" caused it to crack and fall apart... another $50
and the missus wonders why i hate the newer cars, give me a "80 or older any f'n day, at least they can be diagnosed without being a computer guru and the required computer crap to read what is wrong, and you dont have to tear apart half the dang car to do it!

Comments

• Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I'm with you there !
    Used to have a 67 3/4 ton chevy truck with a 6 banger .
    Carried 4 wrenches , bailing wire, points and plugs at all times .
    Got home many times by using all of the above .
    Wish I had it back .[:D]
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Let's be honest. They were easy to fix, but they broke a whole lot more often.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did you just refer to a 15 years old car as "new"??

[:p]
  • Options
    NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

x2 wth[?]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst

but does that further your argument, or his?

to my eyes, they meet somewhere in the middle leaning over to one side or the other depending on make/model.

less time/effort/money to fix a break, but with more frequent breaks ~ less frequent breakage, but more complicated/time consuming/expensive repairs.

as far as the roadside repairs angle, i'll take my 78 mustang over my blazer, but in the 6 years ive owned the blazer its spent very very little time out of service v. the mustang i was always having problems with.

my opinion, new models.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst

+1
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Yep - I remember having to gap the valves about every 6000 miles, Remove the Heads and "Decarbon the Heads, & Pistons", and reinstall every 25,000 miles. New Tires every 10,000 miles. Boil out the Carb(s) every 50,000 miles. Replace Spark Plugs every 25,000 miles. Rejet the Carb(s) every time you wanted to drive up or down the mountain. 4X4s and sporty cars Leaning out (or flat-out stalling) when tilted/turned one way, and going rich or choking out the other way. Fiddling with manual chokes to try to get the fires lit, or even worse, messing with the stupid Riser heated "automatic" chokes.
    Warped Drums, Stuck Drums, Wet Drums, and Brake Fade was a Daily occurrence. Lotsa cars and trucks were only good for ONE loaded and/or High speed stop per half-hour, or else you lost all braking.

Yeah, The Old Cars were so easy to take care of....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remember Setting Timing, and Dwell? Burnt Ballast Resistors? Intermittent Coils? Points welded because you parked it with the Ignition on?

Remember the durn car stalling every time you came to a stop for the first Ten Miles?

Vapor Lock every Hot Summer Afternoon?

Yep, them Old Cars were sure Fun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Generator Brushes? 6-Volt Lights (HA)? Broke Hands From being stupid Cranking? The Thousand (so it seemed) grease fittings?

Red paint Fading after Four Years?

Behemoth (500 Cubic Inches) engines with a Whopping 200 Horsepower (On a good day), getting 4 Miles per Gallon?

Yep...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Then again, I might be Remembering Older cars that the OP[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel

x2 wth[?]
    To some of us that stuff is new.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by HandLoad
    Yep - I remember having to gap the valves about every 6000 miles, Remove the Heads and "Decarbon the Heads, & Pistons", and reinstall every 25,000 miles. New Tires every 10,000 miles. Boil out the Carb(s) every 50,000 miles. Replace Spark Plugs every 25,000 miles. Rejet the Carb(s) every time you wanted to drive up or down the mountain. 4X4s and sporty cars Leaning out (or flat-out stalling) when tilted/turned one way, and going rich or choking out the other way. Fiddling with manual chokes to try to get the fires lit, or even worse, messing with the stupid Riser heated "automatic" chokes.
    Warped Drums, Stuck Drums, Wet Drums, and Brake Fade was a Daily occurrence. Lotsa cars and trucks were only good for ONE loaded and/or High speed stop per half-hour, or else you lost all braking.

Yeah, The Old Cars were so easy to take care of....
    [/quote

+1! Spent my youth in the 50's and 60's with car grease and oil all over my body! Doing all the quoted stuff and more on those old "tanks." They needed a lot of TLC to keep on the road..and those were the American cars I owned....forget the British junk[8][:(] that took two days "under the tree" for one day (maybe?) on the road. Give me the 21st Century cars everytime, computer or no![^][^]
  • Options
    53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Sad to hear of your bad mechanic'n luck.[:(] I just went thru a spate of repairs with the wifes Durango. It has been paid off for a few years now, so I am still ahead of the game. It sucks when everything happens at once though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i didnt seem to have the kind of constant breakage somne of you had
    for the most part it was yearly tune-up and go...
    '51 chevy when it was tuned good would give me almost 18 mpg, and that was with the first production year automatic!
    '61 jeep with flat 6 hardly ever needed anything except when i was off-roading and bend it up[B)]
    course my '65 GTO was down more often, but it spent much of its time racing either the twisties for pinks or on the 1/4 mile[:D]
    and that one had 238,000 till i managed to kill it!
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye
    Sad to hear of your bad mechanic'n luck.[:(] I just went thru a spate of repairs with the wifes Durango. It has been paid off for a few years now, so I am still ahead of the game. It sucks when everything happens at once though.

My Durango just had a radiator leak then found out the cooling fan wasn't working when I went to replace the radiator. (Nope, the ends are plastic can't get it welded up) Then on the way to lunch Friday the window regulator exploded. I hope that's it for a while.

On the plus side, I found a good parts place. About half of what NAPA wanted for the same parts. http://www.rockauto.com/ Hope that regulator comes in, supposed to rain later in the week.
  • Options
    edited November -1

yea, considereing some i have driven age-wise!
    my truck is an '85!
    new in this case refering to anything '80's and up with all the emissions/computer crap hanging all over it, and the motor in sideways that (2 that i know of) need the top end removed to change spark plugs and just in general a pain in the A** to work on
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger...
    I bought the wife a Great little '67 Plymouth Valiant, slant-6 225 cid...
    Wonderful car! I loved that thing...
    It was the easiest car I ever had to work on...

Could sit on the fender, under the hood and work if need be...
    ...and at the time I worked for a parts house, so I could parts for cost.

BUT, I was young and dumb and workin' on cars was fun...

Now I'm not and workin' on cars... is... well... NOT fun.

If I had the coin... I'd be buying a new one every two years... MINIMUM. Don't have the patience anymore to deal with issues that go along with older cars...

I'll take a newer car over an older one any day.
    But, I don't relish workin' on 'em either...
    I do think that the new cars are way to complicated for my pea sized brain...

I keep mine up to par with maintenance and take it to the dealer when it needs anything more than an oil change or other simple job done...