In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Theodore "Dutch" J Van Kirk... A Vid History Essay

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
I received an eMail that made the claim that Dutch walked out of an elementary school...quote:The young teacher introduced him by saying that the speaker was a veteran of World War Eleven.(as in WWII). [:0]
Dutch stood up and walked out of the school without saying a word.Well while this seemed to me to certainly be plausible in our current day and time...
I'm not one to believe EVERYTHING I read in an eMail,
so I set out to find something that corroborated with this piece of "fact"...

Instead, what I found, was an interesting video...
So, I kept looking and found these 'scattered' amongst many others that the UWG has posted on YouTube.
I thought that they were interesting enough, being delivered in the first person...
And ought to be put together so that they could be seen in their entirety by others.

I've attempted to re-list these, so that it's a little easier for the viewer...
Each has a comment to define what's in the video and a time of length mark...
Just under a full 45 minutes total time
Enjoy... There are 9 of 10 Separate Videos Laid out in chronological order.

During Spring Semester 2010, the UWG (University of West Georgia)
Department of History invited Theodore "Dutch" Van Kirk to campus to share his story.

Dutch served as navigator on the crew of the "Enola happy" - the plane that dropped the atomic bomb
"Little Boy" on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. He is the last surviving member of the crew.

This is his story...

Video ONE "The World was a Different Place" 4:20

Video TWO "I Hope it's Captured!" 7:17

Video Three "Refueling with Five-Gallon Cans" 1:27

Video Four "Silverplate" 6:11

Video Five "Sloppy Joe's" 1:07

Video Six - Part One "We're in training for the atomic mission in Wendover, Utah" 5:26

Video Six - Part Two continued ... 6:47

Video Seven - Part One "The mission to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima..." 5:52

Video Seven - Part Two continued ... 6:30

Unfortunately... There is supposed to be a final tenth segment that is unavailable...
I simply can not find it... If any one does... PLEASE post it and I'll add it to the time line list.
I have no knowledge as to why it's NOT available. But, I would like to think that ol'Dutch...
Had a few things to say about our current state of affairs...
And, that it was deemed inappropriate for current educational and governmental ideologies.

I hope that you've enjoyed today's video history essay.
IMO... If WE don't remember... IT will happen yet again...............................

Comments