In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Picked up an AR308 80% kit a couple of weeks ago.

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
Gonna finish the lower (hopefully) today.

They were on sale from Thunder Tactical before the holidays.
Normally they run $629.99 - $649.99 for barrel lengths of 16" - 18" - 20"
I got the 18" barrel. https://thundertactical.com/collections/308-rifle-kits

I'll let y'all know how it goes. (Hopefully I don't kill it. [B)])
Plan on heading to the range next Saturday to test and sight it in.

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome! [8D]

I will definitely be looking forward to the update and range report.

I have a stripped AR-10 lower sitting in my gun safe. So far I have a trigger kit, but I would like to get it put together by the end of 2017. It's a slow process, mainly getting the money set aside fr it.

Jon
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    @retrox: you have a mill?

I just bought a Polymer80 lower for a .300 BLK build. Had to buy a drill press mill vice, but am unhappy with the slop in the Harbor Freight "tool"...
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    you Can Cut that Out with a Stihl With the chain on Backwards
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    @retrox: you have a mill?

I just bought a Polymer80 lower for a .300 BLK build. Had to buy a drill press mill vice, but am unhappy with the slop in the Harbor Freight "tool"...
    I have access to one at work...
    But, I had planned on using a jig with my drill press and a router. [B)]

Unlike the AR15 jigs/lowers, I found out that the jig I bought for the AR10-308 (DPMS format) doesn't exactly work with the lower I've got. The lower is thicker, so the jig is too narrow.

Looks like I'll be using the mill at work next week.

AR10's don't exactly follow a mil-spec pattern. We all know that the DPMS is becoming a general standard. But manufactures add/subtract material at will. And in my case, they added material to strengthen key points. Not a bad thing, unless you're trying to use a jig. [:(]

Fortunately it is one half of a matched set. Otherwise I'd be in a baaaadd way trying to get an upper to work with it.

A point to stress for anyone wanting to build an AR10... Make sure you have a matched set. Or you'll play hell trying to find an upper that works with a lower. And the DPMS format has the most after market parts to fit including mags.