In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope question for AR-15

CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
Im looking to get a GOOD scope for my rifle I want a variable power greater than 3-9 does NOT have to be illuminated but I want the best possible scope I can get for around 200$ any suggestions. (bunch of idiots at a shop suggested a simmons but I wouldnt put one of those on an air rifle. I have looked at several Nikons and was impressed with them. Keep in mind my eyes are about shot so lense clarity is going to go a LONG way in making a choice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Redfield Accu Range mounted on the Burris AR-P.E.P.R QD Mount. Great scope for the price.

1ARbuild2018.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m88.358win

Check out the Redfield Accu Range mounted on the Burris AR-P.E.P.R QD Mount. Great scope for the price.

1ARbuild2018.jpg

Not bad but about 20$ too high I said up to and including 200$ but if I have to spend even 1$ over Ill save up several checks and get a Zeiss.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You probably won't get much for 200 bucks but if you spend about 300 you could get a Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40. I've got one on my AR and love it.
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-AR-riflescopes/mark-ar-3-9x40mm-t2/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want a scope greater than 3-9 power like 4-12 or 6-18. it must hold Zero even though it wont be taking much shock from only being shot benchrest. however lense clarity is the most important feature im looking for.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    clarity and light are money in optics. No matter the product, the bigger and better the higher the price. I think you would be better off waiting and getting the ziess or a swarovski if you want true clarity.

Clarity is not just optics, it's light. So you want a minimum of a 50mm lens, 60mm would be better but since I have no idea what you are willing to spend on a ziess I will simply give you this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?brandId=1191&refineSearchKeywordDisplay=scope&refineSearchKeyword=scope&cm_mmc=Google-_-PPC-_-Optics-_-Scopes&gclid=CPnvms-MxasCFREj7AodOXkH1g

There are a lot of good choices there and most are probably less expensive on the auction side.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    Go with the best scope you can afford. I have found Nikon to be the best bang for the buck. Check the auctions or local classifieds for a used scope that may otherwise be out of your price range. Spending the extra $20 now will probably save you money down the road being it may save you from upgrading if you're unhappy with what you buy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    quote:Im looking to get a GOOD scope for my rifle.

If you have an AR, this is the only place. The Marine Corps uses them...need I say more?

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/index.php

Im sorry but a Zeiss is going to outclass and outperform any Trijicon anyday of the week.

I have seen swarovskis and I was impressed with them. I can get a nice Zeiss 4-12 for around 400$ new so id say thats pretty good. it will just take me a month and a half to pay for that at this point. Although knowing me id probably rip off the weaver on my 8mm and put the Zeiss on it. which would once again leave my AR without one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    quote:I can get a nice Zeiss 4-12 for around 400$ new

Hell, Zeiss has clear glass, but no lighted reticle,no BDL, no built in range finder...they were great in the '80s...it's 2011, move up!

the newer ones have built in range finders. I dont need that or a lighted reticle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The AR is one I built myself it has removable front and rear sights on it and is a flattop upper and lower is surplus ammo and arms no idea who makes the bolt the stock is UTG the gas tube delta ring and charging handle are all DPMS and the Barrel is ER shaw.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at Leatherwood (Hi-Lux) I got my eye on a 7-30 for the AR I sent you the pictures of. I screwed up and could have had it for $323, with a $40 off coupon from Midway.
    Now I'm gonna have to wait. It is now $353 + shipping from Midway.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've had a 4x $immons on my Marlin 444
    for 5 or 6 yrs now.

I even shot 3 deer with it.
    Granted the average yardage was prolly
    less than 50 yds but it gets the job done.

I'll bet I have shot 300-400 rounds with
    that 20 dollar scope on the big bore and
    she hits what I aim at (within reason)
    without scope failure yr after yr.
  • Options
    300rumgun300rumgun Member Posts: 437 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check SWFA.com they sell the samples for pretty decent prices
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Weaver Classic Rim Fire Model 849398 3-9X32. Really clear its Matte Black so matches the Ar.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/classic_rimfire/

But not cheap.
    Think I ended up paying $180.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    I've had a 4x $immons on my Marlin 444
    for 5 or 6 yrs now.

I even shot 3 deer with it.
    Granted the average yardage was prolly
    less than 50 yds but it gets the job done.

I'll bet I have shot 300-400 rounds with
    that 20 dollar scope on the big bore and
    she hits what I aim at (within reason)
    without scope failure yr after yr.

You got lucky cause I've had a few and all were changed out for better schopes.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $200 Isn"t buying a scope these days, it is buying a tube with 2 peices of glass in it.

Zeiss is overpriced, always has been. And, for the price you mention, you are obviously talking about that crap conquest version that is far from the quality of the $1000+ euro versions.

Swarovski is NICE glass, but still one of the last one's to the dance for tactical work.

Best bang for the buck, is BURRIS SIGNATURE. Unless you want a TRUE tactical scope.

if you truley want a bulletproof tactical scope, NIGHTFORCE NXS is the best in the business. US Optics is great also, but again, IMHO, overpriced. I say NIGHTFORCE NXS is underpriced for what you get. There is a reason I sold all my Leupold MK IV's and added the extra $$$ to replace them all with Nightforce NXS scopes. They will never let you down and will take any recoil on the planet. Look up the article on the sniper who took a 30cal round through the tube of his NXS, and was able to complete the mission while the NXS held zero the whole time.[8]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Cabellas is having a sale on some optics that fit right in your price range. But after you buy the PEPR mount, you have about half your budget for glass
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    Cabellas is having a sale on some optics that fit right in your price range. But after you buy the PEPR mount, you have about half your budget for glass

When I bought my Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24 SWFA included the Pepr mount for only like $39 more.

[url]MVC-BURRIS.JPG[/url]
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    $200 Isn"t buying a scope these days, it is buying a tube with 2 peices of glass in it.

Zeiss is overpriced, always has been. And, for the price you mention, you are obviously talking about that crap conquest version that is far from the quality of the $1000+ euro versions.

Swarovski is NICE glass, but still one of the last one's to the dance for tactical work.

Best bang for the buck, is BURRIS SIGNATURE. Unless you want a TRUE tactical scope.

if you truley want a bulletproof tactical scope, NIGHTFORCE NXS is the best in the business. US Optics is great also, but again, IMHO, overpriced. I say NIGHTFORCE NXS is underpriced for what you get. There is a reason I sold all my Leupold MK IV's and added the extra $$$ to replace them all with Nightforce NXS scopes. They will never let you down and will take any recoil on the planet. Look up the article on the sniper who took a 30cal round through the tube of his NXS, and was able to complete the mission while the NXS held zero the whole time.[8]

+1 for Burris. Hands down best glass for the money.IMO