In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can't sleep, hip hurts

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
Not real painful, just enough that I can't get comy. I will doze off then wake back up. Just took a couple of Tylenol and maybe that will work.

I hate to toss and turn all night. Feel like heck in the AM.

The cat is wondering if I am going to let him get any sleep either. Tom

Comments

• Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    Not real painful, just enough that I can't get comy. I will doze off then wake back up. Just took a couple of Tylenol and maybe that will work.

I only sleep 2-3 hours a night. Mine isn't physical pain, it is all mental. I cannot keep my mind from racing
  • Options
    Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

I only sleep 2-3 hours a night. Mine isn't physical pain, it is all mental. I cannot keep my mind from racing

I have the same problem! I had to get a prescription for sleeping pills. Some times they work and sometime they don't.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go see a good chiropractor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    are they really worth it? I have so many conflicting stories I have never been able to pull the trigger and go see one. I have some back issues, but I really didn't want to risk it if there wasn't a real benefit
  • Options
    Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    are they really worth it? I have so many conflicting stories I have never been able to pull the trigger and go see one. I have some back issues, but I really didn't want to risk it if there wasn't a real benefit

It helps my back and neck, but not my sleeping. I don't go all that often because I don't like going any type of doctor or anthing like that.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just like anything else, it depends on which one you get. I've had 2 and they've both been great; fixed me right up when I was an aching mess. They're not a cure-all, but for adjustments on out of place vertebrae, joints, muscles, etc. they are the way to go. Painkillers only mask the pain, they don't straighten out your body and relieve what's causing the pain, i.e. a compressed disc, a slightly dislocated joint, a pinched nerve, a muscle or ligament out of alignment, etc.
  • Options
    The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good chiropractor is well worth it. Most insurance pays for them now as well. Ask around your local area or even on {elsewhere} for people experience with various chiropractic docs. Stay far away from those that camp with lawyers, as they are only there to suck up med pay portions of insurance claims for accidents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I think I am going to try to find one. Hopefully I get lucky with a quality doc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This dosen't hurt enough to see Dr yet. Just an old nagging low ache. Just enough to keep me changing position.

Now I have been taking a sleeping pill a night for the past week but I quit tonight. Didn't think I would need it and don't like to take them anyway.

The Tylenol seems to have helped and will now go back to bed. Cat has given up on me and curled up by keyboard, covered up his head with paw and tail and zonked out. At least one of will get a good nap. Nite all! Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This dosen't hurt enough to see Dr yet. Just an old nagging low ache. Just enough to keep me changing position.

Now I have been taking a sleeping pill a night for the past week but I quit tonight. Didn't think I would need it and don't like to take them anyway.

The Tylenol seems to have helped and will now go back to bed. Cat has given up on me and curled up by keyboard, covered up his head with paw and tail and zonked out. At least one of will get a good nap. Nite all! Tom

night, hope it works for you this time
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tccox;
    Had pains for the last three years. Waited till I couldn't walk let alone sleep for the pain....got two stainless steel/titanium hip joint replacements and I feel like a 20 year old again. Doin things I haven't done for the last three years. Can't wait to get in the woods come huntin season....

Harley
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Both my hips are bad. Once is bad, the other is going. My preferred side to sleep on unfortunately is the side with the worse hip. I haven't slept through the night in over 2 years. After a bunch of tests with them thinking it was heart related, the doc said I was waking up due to my hip. One of these days I need to do something about it!
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    For what it may be worth I had a similar problem about two years ago. Talked to a gentleman in his seventies and he told me of a drink that might help. Mangosteen gold, it is an asian health food. I started taking one half shot glass daily, that is 30.000 milgrams. The pain went away in about three weeks and hasent returned as of yet.
    it costs about 35.00 a bottle and it will last two months.
    Good luck
  • Options
    sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tccox, I hope your hip isn't in such bad shape that it will require hip replacement surgery. However, you should have an orthopedic surgeon take some X-rays and see if there is anything wrong. I had hip replacement surgery, and I wish I had it done a year earlier. Now, I can run up ten flights of stairs without any pain.

If the pain continues, or gets worse, go see an orthopedic surgeon. There is no reason to live in pain and lose sleep when you don't have to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't think my hip is getting worn out yet, just getting old tho!! Alcohol has usually been my pain killer of choice but I am trying to get off anything I don't need.

If I can get the relief I need from OTC meds I will be pretty happy. BUT, I really, really hate to take many pills too. I don't hurt all the time, but it is annoying when trying to sleep.

Lordy, I sure hate to think about getting anything replaced!

I do have COPD and am so short winded I can't walk around the housse without having to catch my breath so I don't put much strain on anything any more.

Dennis, I might drink one cup of coffee a month so that probably ain't hurting me much. Tom
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    I can relate to your pain.

I fell a few years ago and broke my hip and now I can set a metal detector off at long range .

I have my problems during moist weather or a quick change in temperature .

As suggested " Advil or ibuprofen " has worked well for me .
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I know the feeling Tom...I hardly sleep at all.
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar problem. Back pain tha got worse and began to localize in the hip. MRI showed three bulged discs but not too bad. Had a chiropractor think he could manipulate my hip joint to relieve the pain. This manipulation about killed me. Well, no, but it made me think about dying. I was really crippled for about a year, my limp was so bad it was more like lurching. One older neurologist had the sense to get Xrays of my hip and I had avascular necrosis. The ball part of the hip joint had lost circulation and the bone was dead, with a slice broken of the top. My doctor called it "rotting off". I had a hip replacement and everything should have been good but it wasn't. My leg is like a zombie leg that doesn't work like it used to and has atrophied (shrunk) about 20%. It is also a lot longer and I have a 3/4 inch lift on my other boot. I was really bitter about it for a long time and I still blame the surgeon. He cost me a business that had made a living for me and my family for 25 years. But at least I can sit down now.