In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Down for the count over a silly ear infection!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,729 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
I swear....this whole week I've been fighting this thing. It started with just a little tickle....turned to a jabby feeling by Tuesdy....Thursday I gave in a went to the doctor. I figured the shot they gave me and the horse pills would make things better so I could make up for the work I couldn't seem to get done and planned on today being a busy day.

Nope....I've been planted on the couch with a heating pad on my ear all dang day!

It feels like there is a grapefruit size ball where my ear should be. I can't hear a thing....its pretty disgusting.

I just thought I'd whine a bit about it while I'm sending out the emails to the winning bidders.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing "silly" about an infection an inch from your brain.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Abscess that needs draining???

Simple ear infection or a staff infection???

What did they give you (antibiotics)???

Fever???

Be well - get well - stay well

Please keep us appraised.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is a really good point.

Its one of the worst things I've dealt with. I used to get swimmers ear when I was little, but I don't remember it ever being a week long battle.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Abscess that needs draining???

Simple ear infection or a staff infection???

What did they give you (antibiotics)???

Fever???

Be well - get well - stay well

Please keep us appraised.

Mike

I don't know what the shot was, but the pills are Amoxicillin/Clavulan 875/125mg I don't know a lot about medicines, but I remember the kids getting Amoxicillin from time to time for random mess throughout the years.

My ear is hot....it feels like there is liquid coming out, but its not really draining. If I lay on the heating pad (which I do almost constantly now) it feels a bit better, but it isn't helping make it go away. I think its just the cool air that bothers it so the heating pad is my way of avoiding that.

OMG....I just want to poke something in there so bad!!!!
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pour some colloidal silver in your ear. It's better than any antibiotic that they'll give you
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,757 ******
    edited November -1
    Warm some sweet oil and drop some in.
    Get well.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,126 ******
    edited November -1
    With wearing hearing aids,I get ear infections regularly. They give me antibiotic pills and antibiotic ear drops. They usually have to put a wick in the infected ear in order to get the drops to go in,and that hurts going in.
    Get better soon.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a little something about ears.

An outer ear infection in the canal isn't serious.

A middle ear infection behind the eardrum and in the Eustachian tube is pretty serious.

An inner ear infection around the cochlea can be life threatening.

So just saying "ear infection" doesn't tell us a lot. If you're using a heating pad, it sounds like it's probably an outer ear (canal) infection. Other than putting your eardrum at risk, it can be controlled pretty easily. Painful and debilitating, yes. But curable.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hope you get well soon

and be thank full my grandmother ( and sure many other older relatives in the south ) my mom told me as kids if they got a ear ache
    treatment was to have urine poured into the effected ear also if a boy it had to a girls and if a boy it had to be girls .. thank goodness that home cure was never was passed on
    ( just my guess it was just the warm slat water that helped )[xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Did you have to sleep on the floor while soaking the slats?[:D]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am certain that your team - your physician and yourself - have it handled...

But I worry about mrsa staff infections and abscesses...

I am worried about you - concerned for you.

Mike
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Growing up the 4th son of a share croper we didn't go to a doctor unless mother couldn't stop the bleeding.

I suffered from many ear infections when I was young and it left me with bad hearing and a easy target for ear infections as an adult.

My point is that I can relate very well to a hot pack on the ear and putting time in on the couch. You have my simpothy and hope for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Get Better, LF!
  • Options
    TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rub some Ben-happy in and around
    the back of your ear.
    About 5 minutes drop in some swimmers ear.
    Let that soak.. 10 minutes or so.
    Flip let in drain.
    Stay with the meds...
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one more opinion: If you're going to the trouble and expense to hire a doctor and pharmacist to cure it, why not let them do their thing. If you're going to have grandpa blow tobacco smoke into it until it quits hurting, why spend the time and money on the doctor and pharmacist?
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could be one of the side effects of going to the bathroom with strangers..............[;)]
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rockys #3 option sounds about right. I grew up with a guy who died, a few yrs ago, from an ear infection. Get well soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think getting out with Larry for his birthday really made it a LOT worse.....he was looking for a shallow fountain, bird bath, thing for his hummingbirds. I shouldn't have gone. You get it in your head that you are "getting better"....the next thing you know you are running around setting up a nightmare for the next day.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an ear infection once, it caused an imbalance and I couldn't stand up without hurling. Couldn't walk straight for the dizziness and feeling of spinning around. Antibiotics fixed it for me.
    Hope you feel better fast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I feel like I'm on a boat today.....not choppy seas, but a little swaying going on.

I've reached that point where I'm turning into a total witch because of how long this has been going on. Even the dogs are catching heck from me this morning!
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Nothing at all silly about an ear infection...Hope you get well soon Kasey!
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Nothing at all silly about an ear infection...Hope you get well soon Kasey!

Take some antioxidant herbs like these http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/01/23/herbs-part-one.aspx

I personally use Pine bark extract however it may increase your blood to thin out and if on blood thinners it may effect you adversely.

All information here is not given as a health advice nor am I a health advisor or trained in any medical matters or procedures.

serf