In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Last Security Checks at Airports?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
This article states after compiling with all security measures at The TSA counter that one last check can/may be made with Two black clad Air Marshals armed with machine guns for a final eye retina scan??

Seems to be overkill and not kosher unless somehow someone can get your boarding pass pass the security checkpoint and get on as a imposter.

serf

http://tinyurl.com/gnfkmym

This time was different. Halfway down the jetbridge, there was a new layer of security. Two US Marshals, heavily armed and dressed in dystopian-style black regalia, stood next to an upright machine with a glowing green eye. Every passenger, one by one, was told to step on a mat and look into the green scanner. It was scanning our eyes and matching that scan with the passport, which was also scanned (yet again).

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Left MSP Saturday the 18th, and arrived in MSP Saturday night the 25th; two international flights.

Nothing was different than it has been for 15-odd years.

Not sure if this article is believable or not. For it to mean anything, you would have had to have had a retina scan prior. Absent that it would be data gathering, not a security measure.

It is important to remember, however, that there is a price to be paid for the government securing our freedoms.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to throw the BS flag on this. I happen to be in a couple of security database systems that DO use biometric data to identify that I am in fact, me. Not many of us are in that system. Your PASSPORT is not in that system, and there is no way to link your passport to the image of your retinas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    I am going to throw the BS flag on this. I happen to be in a couple of security database systems that DO use biometric data to identify that I am in fact, me. Not many of us are in that system. Your PASSPORT is not in that system, and there is no way to link your passport to the image of your retinas.

It could be fake news but it's getting put on news searches under google and not taken down as yet.Trump's new immigration policies may the cause also,bears watching if you travel by air.

serf

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometric-security-initiatives

As part of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) border security mission, the agency is deploying new technologies to verify travelers' identities - both when they arrive and when they leave the United States - by matching a traveler to the document they are presenting. CBP's goal is to enhance national security and protect a traveler's identity against theft through the use of biometrics.

New technology to scan the eye at traffic stops?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13zFQh7BPG4
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also calling BS. Flew to Toronto and then Shanghai on the 10th, then back on Saturday. Same thing as always.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This time was different. Halfway down the jetbridge, there was a new layer of security. Two US Marshals, heavily armed and dressed in dystopian-style black regalia, stood next to an upright machine with a glowing green eye. Every passenger, one by one, was told to step on a mat and look into the green scanner. It was scanning our eyes and matching that scan with the passport, which was also scanned (yet again).

The flight in the article was from the U.S. to Mexico and I've never had anything unusual happen between THE United States and Mexico/Panama/Colombia. Honestly,, what would a person smuggle from the U.S. to xxxx. My guess,, scans can be used "later" to I.D. returning passengers.

For maybe 10+ years coming back into the U.S.from these countries is very different.

Have had two stomach fluoroscope in a "special room", patted down, carry on luggage xrayed and/or "thoroughly hand searched" and the "last check" is a surprise check while on the walk way to the plane. Armed guards, airline employee(s), boarding pass and passport check.

This does not happen every time, random and haven't had an eye scan,,, yet. Maybe this year.

Flying is a "pain" unless of course you have your very own jet with pilot.[V]
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like BS...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Sounds like BS...

I'm calling BS. If they were doing this then it would be part of the PRE Check and Global Entry program and part of the passport application process. The PRE and GE only took fingerprints. Our data center has several layers of biometric scans. Where you can go in the building depends on your RFID card, your iris scan and your fingerprint plus the physical key.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Sounds like BS...

I'm calling BS. If they were doing this then it would be part of the PRE Check and Global Entry program and part of the passport application process. The PRE and GE only took fingerprints. Our data center has several layers of biometric scans. Where you can go in the building depends on your RFID card, your iris scan and your fingerprint plus the physical key.

Could be however remove the green retina scan after being scanned by TSA eye system and have face identification with thumb prints on the sky bridge before entering the aircraft is probably will go mainstream just in case a imposter tries to board with someone else's ticket.

serf