In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stock refinishing

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Does polyurethane and other type of finishes help in redusing the weather effects on laminated stocks or can the unfinished laminated stock be ok without any finsh {natural wood feel}?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody have old (wooden) stocks laying around they want re-finished? I like to refinish them in my spare time, plus my sons like to help me out, which is always a good activity. I'll do it for free if you don't mind non-professional results. I'm just looking to improve my skills for fun.

Forgot to mention you probably don't want me doing one if it has any design in the wood, like checkering, etc. I'm talking smooth wood only, and all I do is sand it down to get surface scratches out. Then I put a natural (neutral) stain on, and cover with a shiny laquer if desired.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok all you bench buffs.. I have the stock and fore stock off a Winchester single 410 all sanded and ready for refinishing,. What kind or brand of stain should i use, i want a dark look, and i want to cover it, spray it, with a deep looking urethane kind of top coat.
    If you have a Winchester model 1200,, that's the finish i would like to obtain.. I have done the tongue oil years ago but was not happy with my ability. Yes i have all winter to do this..:):)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there hope that I can get my stock and forearm to match? First photo shows inside, second shows outside.

stock2_zps3f6c8cbd.jpg
    stock1_zpsced5cbc2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When refinishing a stock is there a product or a way to acheive a no gloss or matte finish. I have refinished 3 rifles, 2 using tru-oil and 1 with lin seed oil/ mineral spirits. I am pleased with the results so far but for this project I want to use an ebony stain and end up with a matte finish.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Have you tried poly urethane? I did my grandpa's Remington Model 11 with a satin finish poly urethane (I think about 3 coats) and it looked brand new.
  • Options
    legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    I have a rear stock, and fore grip off an ithaca 49. It could use a refinish. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    Have you tried poly urethane? I did my grandpa's Remington Model 11 with a satin finish poly urethane (I think about 3 coats) and it looked brand new.

Yes I have, with good results! Although I prefer a smooth stain-only finish, but variety is the spice of life!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legionkahn
    I have a rear stock, and fore grip off an ithaca 49. It could use a refinish. [:D]

OK, well it's up to you if you want me to have a go at it. Message me![8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callktulu

You have mail
  • Options
    edited November -1

You have mail

Hey, did you ever mail the stock pieces? Just curious.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are boxed up. I still have not been by the post office. Will get them out soon , i hope [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are boxed up. I still have not been by the post office. Will get them out soon , i hope [:D]

No problem, my friend, I was just making sure everything was OK and they weren't lost in the mail or something like that. Take your time!
  • Options
    edited November -1

No problem, my friend, I was just making sure everything was OK and they weren't lost in the mail or something like that. Take your time!
    I will shoot you an email when the pony express is in route [:D]