In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Don't Steal an Airstream With an Armed Texan Insid

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/30/suspects-try-to-steal-trailer-with-homeowner-still-inside-in-liberty-county/13389473/

***Click link for interesting video***

Trailer stolen with man still inside

Malini Basu / KHOU 11 News 4:27 p.m. CDT July 31, 2014
Stolen Trailer July 30
(Photo: KHOU 11 News)

LIBERTY COUNTY, Texas - A 75-year-old man is lucky to be alive after he was kidnapped early Wednesday in Liberty County.

It happened around 2:30 a.m. on County Road 2279.

James Brown was sound asleep in his trailer when he heard some noises. He saw a man and woman stealing it.

"I heard some noise outside. They were getting it prepared to hook off and take off," Brown said.

Brown quickly reached for his phone and called 911, while he couldn't see anything after the electricity was cut off inside.

"I'm sure they got surprised too, not knowing I was inside. When they started to pull off, this door is quite wide. I stuck around this way and tried to shoot it, at the truck, but the door was too wide," Brown said.

The suspects were driving close to 100 miles per hour. It was like a scene from the movies; Brown said he fired six rounds and missed.

"When the officer got behind us, I was throwing the light like this. I could've easily been killed last night because they would kill me to keep me from talking, thanks to good law enforcement," Brown said.

The officer pulled the trailer over but the suspect bailed on foot and the female passenger was in the car.

"I'm not afraid of criminal behavior. I've dealt with a lot of them. Some of them are good guys," said Brown.

Brown has been sleeping in his trailer for the last two months, because he is trying to protect his business.

Brown remained calm the whole time. He credits his doctorates in counseling.

He used to work at the Texas Department of Corrections (now the Department of Criminal Justice) and was a marriage counselor.

Brown says after this ordeal, he is selling his business. As for the suspect, he dropped his ID and officers know who they are looking for.

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""I'm not afraid of criminal behavior. I've dealt with a lot of them. Some of them are good guys," said Brown."

ummm.... No they are not...

Pretty sure I stopped someone from stealing my generator at a NASCAR race back in '09, I stumbled out when the engine stopped and found it unplugged. (It was still chained to the bumper so it would not have gone far) buzzards did get away with my good coleman LP heater. (The big 60,000 BTU one you can't buy anymore because too many people carbon monoxided themselves to death on it, by using it indoors.) Hope the aholes that stole it used it in a tent....
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He needs a better handgun.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not trying to be a "Monday morning quarterback" but, Airstream trailers have windows in the front so how hard would it have been to hit the truck pulling his trailer by shooting through the window long before they got up to speed.

Things worked out for the best I guess.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by miles

Not trying to be a "Monday morning quarterback" but, Airstream trailers have windows in the front so how hard would it have been to hit the truck pulling his trailer by shooting through the window long before they got up to speed.

Id say the rock guard was down and locked. [;)]

I guess that wouldn't prevent you from shooting indescriminently through it.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it just me or do the quotes from the guy sound weird? They almost don't make sense.
    RLTW

• Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    quote:Originally posted by miles

Id say the rock guard was down and locked. [;)]

I guess that wouldn't prevent you from shooting indescriminently through it.

Nope, when my butt is on the line and I have a choice of letting some thief haul my camper and my * off into the sunset or putting a few holes through the rock screen(Assuming it was closed), to me, it's a no brainer and to me sir, that's not shooting indiscriminately.