In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nazi Submarine Discovered in Lake Ontario

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
USA: MYSTERIOUS NAZI SUBMARINE FROM WWII DISCOVERED IN GREAT LAKES
February 18th, 2016 | by Barbara Johnson
USA: Mysterious Nazi submarine from WWII discovered in Great Lakes HISTORY 120
Niagara Falls| Divers from the U.S coast guard took part this morning, in a delicate wreck recovery operation to bring to the surface a Nazi submarine discovered two weeks ago at the bottom of Lake Ontario.

The U-boat was spotted for the first time by amateur scuba divers in late January and they had contacted the authorities. Archaeologists associated with Niagara University of and master divers from the U.S Coast Guard were mobilized on site to determine what it was, and they soon realized that they were dealing with a German submarine that sank during World War II.

A wreck recovery vessel of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society was mandated to refloat the ship and bring it back to Niagara Falls, where it must be restored before becoming a museum ship. The delicate recovery operation took nearly 30 hours to complete, but the submarine was finally brought down on the bank with relative ease.

132%20W.%20Fox%20Chase%20010_zpskslapriy.jpg

The submarine was identified as the UX-791, a unique experimental German submarine, based on the U-1200 model, and known to have participated in the "Battle of the St. Lawrence". It was reported missing in 1943 and was believed to have been sunk near the Canadian coast.

Professor Mark Carpenter, who leads the team of archaeologists, believes that the U-boat could have traveled up the St-Lawrence River, all the way to the Great Lakes, where it intended to disturb the American economy.

A report from the dated from February 1943 suggests, that the ship could have attacked and destroyed three cargo ships and two fishing vessels, even damaging the USS Sable (IX-81), an aircraft carrier of the U.S. navy that was used for training in the Great Lakes, before finally being sunk by anti-sub grenades launched by a Canadian frigate.

"We have known for a long time that the Nazis had sent some of their U-boats in the St-Lawrence River, but this is the first proof that they actually reached the Great Lakes," Professor Carpenter told reporters. "This could explain the mysterious ship disappearances that took place in the region in 1943, and the reported "Battle of Niagara Falls" which had always been dismissed as a collective hallucination caused by fear."

The restoration of the submarine could take more than two years, but once completed, the museum ship is expected to become one of the major tourist attractions of the region.

Comments

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did it get through the rapids and the canal locks, the Seaway didn't open until 1959 or so. Previous to that, navigation was through several canals and canal locks that went around rapids.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Something smells fishy here...

1. No direct connection between the Gulf of St Lawrence and Lake Ontario. The sub would have to have navigated through the river canal system. Very unlikely!

2. USS Sable was a mini aircraft carrier based out of Chicago for training purposes. Sub would have to have transited the Welland Canal to ladder up to Lake Erie, then transit to Lake Michigan. I'm not buying.

3. Hull photos are inconsistent with what I'd expect of a WW2 German U Boat.

So... I haven't a clue about the sub itself. The story, though, is richly imaginative methinks.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dammit icdoty, I got played for a fool!
    Well I knew those waterways were connected in some fashion, that is one part of the continent I have never been to, I am just a North Carolina boy.

Now, when I was a kid I read a book named "Paddle to the Sea" where an Indian kid in Minnesota put a little hand carved canoe into a little creek, and it went down the creek, and in to the Mississippi, and all the way to the ocean at the Gulf of Mexico. I am sure that story was true.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep telling you guys, stop reading the wacko blogs!

Neal
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,444 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    Something smells fishy here...

1. No direct connection between the Gulf of St Lawrence and Lake Ontario. The sub would have to have navigated through the river canal system. Very unlikely!

2. USS Sable was a mini aircraft carrier based out of Chicago for training purposes. Sub would have to have transited the Welland Canal to ladder up to Lake Erie, then transit to Lake Michigan. I'm not buying.

3. Hull photos are inconsistent with what I'd expect of a WW2 German U Boat.

So... I haven't a clue about the sub itself. The story, though, is richly imaginative methinks.
    Not to mention 3-4 weeks time from first discovery to having it floating on the shore. I'm thinking not.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remembered seeing that pic from some previous BS story.[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from the world fakenews daily DISCLAIMER page.

Disclaimer
    The nature of Internet communications means that your communications may be susceptible to data corruption, unauthorized access, interception and delays. This website may include incomplete information, inaccuracies or typographical errors. World News Daily Report, and any other persons involved in the management of this website, may make changes in the information and content included in this website at any time without notice.

DNWR shall not be responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this website or by any technical or human error which may occur.

DNWR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website - even those based on real people - are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30 hours to raise the sub? Horse feathers

Edit: Note to self - read entire thread before responding.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When sunken warships are discovered they are not molested under international law. They are considered grave sites. Illegal to approach or tamper with them. They get particularly edgy with subs as you know without a doubt there are human remains on board.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That picture is not a German U-boat.
    RLTW

• Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Dammit icdoty, I got played for a fool!
    Well I knew those waterways were connected in some fashion, that is one part of the continent I have never been to, I am just a North Carolina boy.

Now, when I was a kid I read a book named "Paddle to the Sea" where an Indian kid in Minnesota put a little hand carved canoe into a little creek, and it went down the creek, and in to the Mississippi, and all the way to the ocean at the Gulf of Mexico. I am sure that story was true.

It's a classic. I believe it, too.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The number 791 was never assigned to any German U-Boat, period.

Picture in OP resembles a Walther type XVII which were built end of 44 but is too large.
    The early Type Wa 201 experimental (and later Wa 202) of the Walter Boats were U-792 and 793 (Wa202 794-795) but again these were small boats meant for testing not combat to research the Walter hydrogen peroxide propulsion systems

As mentioned if it was a sunk U-Boat it would be a war grave.

Something very wrong here.

Only thing I can think of if a U-Boat it was scuttled by US after testing one of these Walter boats as we did get a couple as did the Brits.
    However, these were the later type XVII
    The Brits commissioned one as HMS Meteor (x-U-1407)
    These did 25Kts submerged and the Brits were designing subs with this power but nuke power made it unnecessary as the hydrogen/peroxide units were very dangerous.

So perhaps this is Type XVII; U-1406 which was our test boat and we did what we did so often when we were done with testing, we used it for bombing, gun fire or other practice which would also explain why it is being raised and not in conflict with war grave rights
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,433 ******
    edited November -1
    Discovered by scuba divers in late January!! And the winter water temperatures are very close to freezing! Must be the polar bear club. I would say that about half of the news reports we get from the internet are fish stories and the other half we have to take with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It had me going hook line and sinker, I was planning a trip to the museum in two years[8)]

yicy0.gif
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    When sunken warships are discovered they are not molested under international law. They are considered grave sites. Illegal to approach or tamper with them. They get particularly edgy with subs as you know without a doubt there are human remains on board.

Didn't stop them with the CSS Hunley.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like some folks don't read the whole thread before replying.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1