In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shuckin' Scallops!!!

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
TRULY, a labor of love..Wish i had about a bushel to clean!!
I'm happy with the few i had for supper..[:p]

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can say on this is "I'm so damn envious".
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 70's at our summer house near Orient Point ,Long Island we would rake up a 30 gal. garbage can of scallops in less than an hour and then sit around the picnic table for two hours and shuck them. End up with maybe a little over a quart of them tiny bay scallops but they were oh so sweet!
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Did the same on Fire Island, Pirate, at about the smae time!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah those were the days and the clamming in the Great South Bay was amazing too! Handload I too have an MMD and work in NY Harbor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    U a tug Capt. Pirate?
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they like clams or oysters ?? Never had them
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All U eat is the ABDUCTOR muscle.The rest is GREAT flounder/Black Drum bait!!
    U can eat the "egg sack/foot" (i do)but, when u buy them, it's usuallu just the muscle that holds the shell shut.
    It's big, for the size of the shell because it can swim, using that muscle.
    Look them up on line..Amazing creature.AND, to me, they taste the same, raw or cooked..
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    Are they like clams or oysters ?? Never had them

Basically the "Bay Scallops" are small like the mini-marshmallows. Much more tender than clams (when cooked right) and sweet. Much more firmer than cooked oysters.

It would be great if my local fishmongers carried fresh scallops. If they were also big like a salad plate (not like the frozen, drink coasters) they would be my bestest friends. Hell I'd take them dozens of good donuts to them every time I show up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishkiller I'm a Barge Captain (glorified tankerman) have been for 31 years. Gasoline & #2oil barges been everywhere from Nova Scotia to Houston Texas. This past year been bunkering ships in NY Harbor, got tired of being beat up at sea. Got five 5 more winters to go and I'm done.