In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pics of deer season Jan 11

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
Just a few pictures of my boys and I deer hunting.

My brother, my nephew and I. First weekend of January antlerless, centerfire. We were responsible for 2 of 6.
ry%3D400

My neigbor boy, with his first rifle deer kill. Used my browning, 25wssm. This was 2nd weekend.
ry%3D400

Getting ready for the fun part, I was sure tired after these were deboned. We were able to get four this day.
ry%3D400

This was a bullet recovered, I just thought it was cool. Reload, 25 wssm. Bullet was a 100gr sp, Hornady. Weighed 83.6grns. Not too bad.
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

Just Sunday afternoon, my 12 year old with first deer. Savage 99/250 Savage. Lots of fun!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

All in all, very successful, brought 8 deer home. Deboned 6 myself with the kids. I was so tired at the end my wife even helped! Have lots of jerky already, going to take 2 coolers of loose meat for sticks and burgers. Can't wait. Gave two deer to a friend that wasn't able to get out, has 4 boys at home, they will be lucky to last a week.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    GREAT PIX man!!! Good times,THE BEST of times!!! Uhhh,did your 12yo. "BUTT SHOT" that deer?lol, HEY!! Down is DOWN!!I will freely admit to taking a "strait-away" shot once myself,I got lucky though and hit her in the back of the noggin!
    Their are some HUUuuge does in those photos!! What part of the Country did y'all kill'em in?
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    hell even are extended season ended last week, reg dear ended mid nov. Nice to see that us northern folk arent the only ones to field dress are deer though
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is all in southern Iowa. Because of overpopulation the DNR added a antlerless season. This is the forth year I went. Of all twelve deer, all were large does except one small doe. Not one button buck. I have never seen or shot a shed antled buck yet in January. I've met a few farmers now that let me hunt down there, I live near Des Moines, some even said I can go there during "normal" season.

The shot of twelve year old. Wasn't the best, but 2 loins, inside loans, all of one hind and most of the other. Bullet hit about 1" low and right of deer exit. I just gave those 2 deer to my friend this morning, he said he would look for the bullet. With the 250 Savage its a 87gr. That was my first ever bullet recovered. I've never had my 7mm not exit. Or the 25 wssm before this, but all others 257 were 117grainers.
  • Options
    MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pics thanks for sharing[:p]
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
  • Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    Nice pics and hunt!
  • Options
    big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When did Iowa go to a rifle season? Didn't have anything but archery and shotgun growing up.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Don't recall They Did..
    Maybe Ask Mods to Remove Post LOL[;)]
    Yup By Golly they Can...

Iowa deer hunters allowed to use high-powered rifles
    By The Associated Press
    DES MOINES (AP) - Hunters can use center-fire or high-powered rifles - even some assault weapons - to shoot deer in Iowa under new rules approved by a legislative committee.

It's the latest effort by state officials to reduce the number of deer in the state. The Administrative Rules Review Committee, a joint House-Senate panel, had the power to block the new rules - but it didn't during a meeting Tuesday.

See My Auction@ http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214312146

quote:Originally posted by pingjockey
    When did Iowa go to a rifle season? Didn't have anything but archery and shotgun growing up.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what it's all about.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bottom two tiers of iowa counties. Antlerless deer only, after late muzzle loader season over. jan. 10th - jan 30th

LEGAL METHOD OF TAKE BY SEASON
    SEASON Archery Muzzleloader Handgun Shotgun Center-fire Rifle
    Jan. Antlerless-only (bottom 2 tiers)
    X X X X X
    1 Only disabled hunters that are otherwise eligible may use a handgun.
    2 Muzzleloading pistols only.
    3Antlerless Senior (70 years old and older) Statewide Crossbow License during the bow season only
    4Cannot carry a handgun while hunting with a bow tag
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW, plenty of good vittles there. Congrats.
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Pics! Nice to see the young ones out there enjoying themselves. Memories that will last forever[:)][^]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will enjoy showing the picture of your 12 yo to my 11 yo. He didn't get one this year and was pretty unhappy about it. Looks like a great time for everyone.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    Great Pics! Nice to see the young ones out there enjoying themselves. Memories that will last forever[:)][^]

+1. You will never forget your sons first deer
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Pics, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bet I have looked at them pix 20 times,I just can't get tired of seeing them.
    I am living vicariously through your hunting pix!![V]
    Sad, huh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishkiller, not at all. There has been so many times that I haven't been able to go hunting or shooting. Last few years have just worked out pretty well. Lovin' Life. Already planning prairie dog trip, can't wait!

Extra Info, the rifle I used to hunt is a model 7 in 7mm SAUM. Bought used on this sight. It is awesome, shoots very good. My older son(he's hiding in the garage pic) shoots a Savage 270WSM. The others shot a 1/4 bore of one type or another.
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent harvest! Good shootin' and enjoy the venison.
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good sized does eh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horney toad
    Good sized does eh?
    HUGE does man!!! Also.I have always been a great fan of the 1/4" guns.25/06 is a freekin death ray/laser beam!!
    AGAIN... AWESOME meat pix man...WTG!!!
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horney toad
    Good sized does eh?

Everything's bigger in Iowa[:D]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing your photos and stories. Hope that you folks have gotten and staying as warm as you want to be!

Take care ... and have as good a winter as you can ... appears that you all are well on your way to that with all of this evidence!