In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you ever wanted a deal on a SIG 556

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited September 2011 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    Delta Elite 10MMDelta Elite 10MM Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a smoking deal, I baught mine a little over a year ago for a little over $1,400 bucks and that was just for the classic. Looks like they have went down a few houndred bucks since I have baught, kinda wish I would have held on to my money a few more months.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Delta Elite 10MM
    That is a smoking deal, I baught mine a little over a year ago for a little over $1,400 bucks and that was just for the classic. Looks like they have went down a few houndred bucks since I have baught, kinda wish I would have held on to my money a few more months.

I know what you mean, I feel embarrassed about buying toward the peak especially when this rifle is so much less than I paid.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even the proverbial "only 150 rounds through it"!!

What more could you ask? [:)]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very tempting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    Even the proverbial "only 150 rounds through it"!!

What more could you ask? [:)]

I know mine was at least that nicked up after 100 rounds. If I had thought about it I would have put rubberized electrical tape over the case deflector before I fired it.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    are these reliable??? Or a colt 6721/6720 be a better choice....Your answers may determine if i buy it
    thanks ya'll
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    are these reliable??? Or a colt 6721/6720 be a better choice....Your answers may determine if i buy it
    thanks ya'll

I love mine, it has NEVER had a missfire or FTF and I have used new and reloads, steel cased and brass, 556mm and .223 cal. I love the charging handle on the bolt (like reagular semi-auto's) it is piston driven which cost a ton in a Colt patent AR
    I have a 6020 which is ok but the sig is a better rifle IMO.
    I remember not long ago these rifles sold for over 2 grand with no accesories.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    thanks ya'll

I love mine, it has NEVER had a missfire or FTF and I have used new and reloads, steel cased and brass, 556mm and .223 cal. I love the charging handle on the bolt (like reagular semi-auto's) it is piston driven which cost a ton in a Colt patent AR

Only thing that is different on mine is the folding butt stock.
    I agree about the price, and don't feel alone as I bought mine at the height also and paid WAY too much.[xx(]

Mine was the 'Classic Swat' model,.....maybe that's the difference in the stock?
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    thanks ya'll

Only thing that is different on mine is the folding butt stock.
    I agree about the price, and don't feel alone as I bought mine at the height also and paid WAY too much.[xx(]

Mine was the 'Classic Swat' model,.....maybe that's the difference in the stock?

I think they upgraded them to the magpul stock right after we bought ours[B)] the good news is, even ours conpletly fold down unlike the AR that always has the buffer tube to contend with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is what I have, and I suppose you do also.
    Look at the price on this one NIB.[xx(]
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248316701

I took it up the wazoo on mine for sure.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Very tempting.
    very.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    This is what I have, and I suppose you do also.
    Look at the price on this one NIB.[xx(]
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248316701

I took it up the wazoo on mine for sure.

I think I am going to be sick.
    mine isn't even the swat model. It is the patrol rifle with a folding stock (m4) so it doesn't have the full length rails either. The accessory tabs work but are not nearly as nice as rails.[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scott,....I know the model you have, as a friend of mine owns the same one.

This is the light/laser/vertical grip I have for mine. The same company that made the Sig ones I believe, but a lot better IMHO.

iTac-TDL1-detail.jpg
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So guys, if someone wanted to get one of these (for plinkin and such) would this be the one or are there better ones out there. What should you look for and look out for?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah I have the SIG version and it isn't that good. I bought the bipod verticle grip and put a muti-function light on one tab, laser on the other.
    If I could do it over I would buy the SWAT model. I am half tempted to buy this one and resell mine.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sig556 is certainly a better more reliable design than the AR15. It is accurate and solid.

However, the disadvantaged IMO are these.
    It is heavier and it is very muzzle heavy meaning the weight is not balanced.
    Plus the availability of parts means while less likely to require them if you do they will not be as available.

They have plunged in price particularly after the Sig516 the AR15 piston type was released for sale. (Sig is being sued by LWRC who claims they cloned the LWRC piston for the 516)

The basic model 556 starts in the $800.00 range and IMO is a bargain at that price.

I bought one but sold it because I preferred the Les Baer M4 carbine, lighter and better balanced. Afterwards I became concerned about the constant cleaning required with the DI LBCM4 gas system and bought a PWS MK114 a piston M4 type but unlike most pistons ARs this one is lighter and has neutral balance.

I can't help but think I should buy another Sig556 simply because they are way more gun dollar for dollar than about any semi auto military type.

If you do not own an AR type gun you should have one and right now the Sig556 is the best buy

allIMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    So guys, if someone wanted to get one of these (for plinkin and such) would this be the one or are there better ones out there. What should you look for and look out for?

Go to the SIG site. When you start pricing out the optic and the rest of the stuff hanging off of it, it is really attractive.

If you don't want an AR, and there are many reasons not to want an AR, this is a good one to be looking at. I don't think I'd hit the BIN button, but its in the running.

If you don't have something in .223 and were looking for something, you'd be hard pressed to do significantly better.

Six months ago, I nearly picked one up for 900 NIB with nothing on it. I decided to go the AR route. And I love my choice. But the SIG is going to be more reliable.

Just my two cents. If I didn't have a .223 there would be a bid on it. But I think he's pretty proud of that BAR.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well someone bid on it it seems.
    Wulfmann is correct about this rifle being out of balance, and muzzle heavy,.....only thing I don't like about it.

It also has the cheezy flip up sights, but that can be changed easy enough if wanted. Mine has the rear diopter style with the fixed front.

Other negative is a NR seller. Yes,....we all start out as NR, but it makes me a little more nervous to see that in this economy I guess. If it sells for that price someone got a decent deal for sure.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the look of the Classic Stock better.

No reserve 9hrs to go $879 starting price.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249133025

Only thing I don't like is the pistol grips. They look Tapco cheap.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice.

I have not been searching for one, but nice. [:)]