In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What could be wrong with the radio in my truck?

oddball7465oddball7465 Member Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
The radio works, but the am/fm doesn't. I can play cassette tapes no problem, but when I try to tune into a radio station, all I get is static. As far as I an tell, the antenna is hooked up properly under the hood, and I just took the radio out and all the wires were connected. Any idea what else could be at fault?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it have an external amp? If yes that is shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't believe it does. Everything is still stock.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It still could be the antenna. Buy a cheap antenna at the Shack or some other audio parts place, & try the AM/FM with that plugged in. If still not working, it's a bad circuit board & not worth fixing.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    It still could be the antenna. Buy a cheap antenna at the Shack or some other audio parts place, & try the AM/FM with that plugged in. If still not working, it's a bad circuit board & not worth fixing.

Neal
    What it mean if the circuit board is shot? In just the radio or the actual truck? If I went and bought a new radio, would it work?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Has the am/fm ever worked? When did it work last? What has been done to the truck/radio in the meantime?

Chances the antenna is disconnected or the cable is damaged weigh in as the heavy odds on candidate. Chances of a circuit board cooking for no reason are slim. Have you replaced the battery, and did it work after that? Does it have a security feature where you need to insert a card with a code after replacing a battery (usually affects the whole radio, but still worth askin')?
    It's a 1999 Dodge Dakota. The am/fm radio worked up till about 3 months ago. I was just driving along and it randomly cut out. I hadn't had anything changed in the truck for months beforehand. So the past 3 months I've been living off my old cassette tapes.

I've taken the radio out and made sure all the wires were plugged in, which they were. I took the antenna out and cleaned all the corrosion around it. But it still doesn't want to work. The top of the cable that connects to the actual antenna looks a bit rusted though, but it's on the inside of the fender so I can't really get to it easily.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello oddball7465 I have a AM /FM dodge radio I will give you send me a picture of yours and if mine will fit your dash . I will send to you just double click on my user name and send me an email. Be aware this is only a RADIO no cassette / CD player.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oddball7465
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Has the am/fm ever worked? When did it work last? What has been done to the truck/radio in the meantime?

Chances the antenna is disconnected or the cable is damaged weigh in as the heavy odds on candidate. Chances of a circuit board cooking for no reason are slim. Have you replaced the battery, and did it work after that? Does it have a security feature where you need to insert a card with a code after replacing a battery (usually affects the whole radio, but still worth askin')?
    It's a 1999 Dodge Dakota. The am/fm radio worked up till about 3 months ago. I was just driving along and it randomly cut out. I hadn't had anything changed in the truck for months beforehand. So the past 3 months I've been living off my old cassette tapes.

I've taken the radio out and made sure all the wires were plugged in, which they were. I took the antenna out and cleaned all the corrosion around it. But it still doesn't want to work. The top of the cable that connects to the actual antenna looks a bit rusted though, but it's on the inside of the fender so I can't really get to it easily.

Dollars to donuts (which isn't nearly the hyperbole it used to be) it's your antenna cable.
  • Options
    Reaper1862Reaper1862 Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a '89 F150 and the stock radio went out, stuck a screwdriver under the dash to try and pry something loose to remove it and it started working again. Left the screw driver in there and took it out when I sold the truck.