In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does anyone not like

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
hotcakes/pancakes/flapjacks? I really like'em, I like the REAL MAPLE syrup on'em too.It only takes a little and winds up costing me less to buy the good REAL stuff,over the artificial..
I also like to cook bacon,chop it up,add it to the batter,then make the hotcakes! MAN o MAN is that ever good.Nice big glass of ICE COLD milk and a cup of SCREAMIN HOT coffee!!
Is it 0600 yet??[:p][:p]

Comments

• Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought 3 or 4 big jugs of the pure stuff a couple of years ago. I love it but man did that set my wallet back!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Good on ya!! It has SKYROCKETED in the last few years... I actually prefer the "Grade 2" over the really clear stuff.I think the darker syrup has a tone more flavor.the light amber is good,don't get me wrong but,that dark stuff is my go-to syrup.
    If U don't mind, what did you pay,per pint,roughly? I picked up a 16 oz. glass bottle of a "Vermont Pure" Maple the other day,for $7. and change.Not too bad but, the #1 hi-grade,same brand,same size, was almost $10.00...

BTW: Do U find that hotcakes (I use Bisquick, an egg and milk.Pinch of salt) are mostly just a vehicle for Maple syrup consumption?[:D][^]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer waffles. It is a texture thing, I don't like the way pancakes feel in my mouth.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Good on ya!! It has SKYROCKETED in the last few years... I actually prefer the "Grade 2" over the really clear stuff.I think the darker syrup has a tone more flavor.the light amber is good,don't get me wrong but,that dark stuff is my go-to syrup.
    If U don't mind, what did you pay,per pint,roughly? I picked up a 16 oz. glass bottle of a "Vermont Pure" Maple the other day,for $7. and change.Not too bad but, the #1 hi-grade,same brand,same size, was almost $10.00...
    Seems like I paid $26 each for these. I bought them in a health food store. Supposed the be the best of the best, purest, etc.
    I think they were 30-40+ ounce plastic jugs. I'd have to ask the wife to be dead on with the price but it was high.
  • glock4Oglock4O Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I prefer waffles. It is a texture thing, I don't like the way pancakes feel in my mouth.
    hmmmmmm that is rather interesting
    edited November -1
    I just asked her: I had the price right but I can't remember exactly how many ounces were in each jug. I bought it for some funky diet that I tried.
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer waffles over pancakes as well, but french toast more than waffles. Does that make me unAmerican?
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    . . .
    Is it 0600 yet??[:p][:p]

Someplace on the planet ... yup!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gav-n-Tn
    I just asked her: I had the price right but I can't remember exactly how many ounces were in each jug. I bought it for some funky diet that I tried.
    No prob. I was just wonderin.. "HEALTH FOOD STORE",,,I think folks ALWAYS PAY A PREMIUM at those joints.I bet it's some lip smackin good syrup though!![:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel
    I prefer waffles over pancakes as well, but french toast more than waffles. Does that make me unAmerican?
    Hard to beat French toast. I agree on the waffle over a pancake deal too but I ain't kicking a good pancake to the curb either. I need to see if real Maple is diabetic approved. Got the word ~6 months ago.
    edited November -1
    I too can enjoy a good bacon waffle but, alas,I have no iron..[V]
    FRENCH TOAST, made with a real crusty Baguette or some fine Italian bread?? YUMMMMMmy!!!( It ain't bad made outta WONDER bread either!)[^]
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to beat French toast. I agree on the waffle over a pancake deal too but I ain't kicking a good pancake to the curb either. I need to see if real Maple is diabetic approved. Got the word ~6 months ago.

LOL, yeah, I won't pass on an offered pancake either. Especially when the loganberries on my back fence are ripe.

Sad news I'm afraid: maple syrup, like honey, is not safe for diabetics unless their glucose tolerance allows for small amounts. There are artificial syrups out there that claim to be safe, but again, only in small amounts when your body will allow it.

Which I find to be a real kick in the pants when some researchers think that real maple syrup, in moderate amounts, may help prevent diabetes and certain cancers.
    edited November -1
    LOL, yeah, I won't pass on an offered pancake either. Especially when the loganberries on my back fence are ripe.

Sad news I'm afraid: maple syrup, like honey, is not safe for diabetics unless their glucose tolerance allows for small amounts. There are artificial syrups out there that claim to be safe, but again, only in small amounts when your body will allow it.

Which I find to be a real kick in the pants when some researchers think that real maple syrup, in moderate amounts, may help prevent diabetes and certain cancers.
    I finally broke down and bought some sugar-free syrup. Not too bad but you can still taste the artificial sweetener. Before that, I was using sugar-free preserves on them. Funny, I never had a sweet tooth before but now I find myself wanting what I can't have. Odd.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I love the pure cane syrup
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    I love the pure cane syrup
    I have never tried it?I know,probably thousands of tons a year made in Florida but,I have never had it.Is it the same as KARO or Molasses?
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1

I finally broke down and bought some sugar-free syrup. Not too bad but you can still taste the artificial sweetener. Before that, I was using sugar-free preserves on them. Funny, I never had a sweet tooth before but now I find myself wanting what I can't have. Odd.

Artificial sweeteners have proven to cause sugar cravings.
    edited November -1
    I don't have a hard time believing that at all.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lovem' with pecans in them!
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like `em best in May and June when the blueberries come in. The wife freezes blueberries so I can have them year round, but they are best in May and June.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I like sourdough pancakes, but only eat 'em once or twice a year.

Real Maple syrup is awesome. But the GOOD STUFF is chokecherry syrup. Haven't had any in years, but someone just gave us a jar. We'll save it for a special occasion, like Obummer's last day in office.
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I like pancakes so much I will make them for supper 2 or 3 times a month. The first one on the griddle is the test run. I split it between the 2 dogs.