In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cabinets

lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
Anybody around here have cabinets done in the last few years?
I've had two guys come and quote cabinets for my house and both were around $10k.
This was for two 24" vanities, a 5ft vanity with a 18"x84" linen drawer/closet, and two sets of 12ft long cabinets.
Neither included counters.

Prices seemed awful high to me but I've never got cabinets before and when my parents got cabinets it was almost 30 years ago.

Comments

• Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Semi-custom cabinets around here go for around $7 to $10 grand depending on the options (wood type, doors, glass, mirrors, lighting etc).

Full custom can start at around $8 grand and go as high as you are willing to spend.

Basic (bought from places like Lowes) go for around $3 to $5 grand.

These are installed prices and do not include counters, sinks, faucets etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not doing anything fancy with glass or anything like that.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Custom Made Oak Thats A Deal
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 years ago i would charge 75 dollars a running foot, then any upgrades you wanted.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently bought Lowes cheapest cabinets for a rental. 9 feet of base cabinets and 15 feet of wall cabinets were about $1000 without countertop or sink. Not cheap to me. Good cabinets get expensive in a hurry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    Custom Made Oak Thats A Deal

It ain't oak if it were I wouldn't be surprised.
    It's varnished plywood painted a red oak color.
    I'm really hoping to avoid the particle board crap at lowes and home depot.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    i think it is 150-250 a running ft. depends on location and type materials
    i will lean at 250 per ft. [:0][:0]installed average.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure if this fits your situation but, there's a site called "cabinet door world". You can name your size type of wood, style of door and finish. I was looking for two smaller doors so I don't know much about the prices for bigger or more doors.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to redo the pantry. I think I'll buy the extra few tools and just learn to do it myself. I will leave the granite to someone else. Will start by making some cabinets for the woodshop first as learners...
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I want to redo the pantry. I think I'll buy the extra few tools and just learn to do it myself. I will leave the granite to someone else. Will start by making some cabinets for the woodshop first as learners...
    i built for simpson out of ladson, i will come show you how they did it before hugo.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    i built for simpson out of ladson, i will come show you how they did it before hugo.

I appreciate it. We live in the Atlanta area these days. I have built "cabinets" for both trade show installations and "shop" use,but never anything consumer grade. I'll need a little nicer shaper table and finish rebuilding the jointer I scored last fall before I'm ready
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I needed an odd sized cabinet for above a refrigerator. I drew up the details but couldnt find that melamine faced stock to build it from. I didnt want to use unfaced so i gave up and got pre built.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remodeled one of my baths, and bought some ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets online. Mine are high quality and would not hesitate to do a full kitchen remodel using them. My estimate would be at least 50% less than custom cabinets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    Remodeled one of my baths, and bought some ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets online. Mine are high quality and would not hesitate to do a full kitchen remodel using them. My estimate would be at least 50% less than custom cabinets.

Do you remember where you got them?
    the stuff at Lowes and home Depot "looks" good at first and a little while after, but in moisture rich environments like bathrooms and kitchens the particle board swells and delaminates, plus living in the south, humidity is high year round
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lksmith03
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45

Do you remember where you got them?
    the stuff at Lowes and home Depot "looks" good at first and a little while after, but in moisture rich environments like bathrooms and kitchens the particle board swells and delaminates, plus living in the south, humidity is high year round

The brand I bought was JSI. Don't remember the seller, but they were drop shipped from the manufacturer. Quality is great, and went together with a very solid system.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Yep Oak Face And Doors... Boxes Are Paste board Ok for Renters to Trash In Less than a year
    Throw them Out Scrape the Spaghetti O's Off the Walls ,And Get in A new Batch

quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Recently bought Lowes cheapest cabinets for a rental. 9 feet of base cabinets and 15 feet of wall cabinets were about $1000 without countertop or sink. Not cheap to me. Good cabinets get expensive in a hurry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    a friend of mine turned me on to kitchencabinetkings.com all plywood with oak fronts. He got his from there and said they were of equal quality to the custom cabinets he had done in his last house.
    For the whole house, I'm looking at around $3000 delivered and I just have to assemble.
    The Country Oak Classic is what I'm looking at.