In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chickens and Rabbits?

edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
If I build a rabbit hutch for our new interloper Can chickens and rabbits live in the same pen in peace and harmony? Do you think I can train the rabbit to free range like the chickens and go back to his hutch at night?

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do it without a unicorn and a sliver of windowpane acid.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our chicken yard is fenced off, mostly to keep out predators. But the wild bunnies can squeeze under the gate, and come in to eat the chicken scratch. The chickens ignore the bunnies.
    I think that you can have perfect harmony in your hen yard. They are both relatively peaceful creatures.

Regards,
    Chris
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chris8X57
    Our chicken yard is fenced off, mostly to keep out predators. But the wild bunnies can squeeze under the gate, and come in to eat the chicken scratch. The chickens ignore the bunnies.
    I think that you can have perfect harmony in your hen yard. They are both relatively peaceful creatures.

Regards,
    Chris

Bull crap. go into my chicken penn. fricken rooster HATES me with a passion, and one of the hens has a bald spot on her head from when he grabs feathers when he mounts her.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    mightend up with fluffy chicens with bunny ears[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982

Regards,
    Chris

Bull crap. go into my chicken penn. fricken rooster HATES me with a passion, and one of the hens has a bald spot on her head from when he grabs feathers when he mounts her.

No roosters they go in the soup pot. Damn things get ornery when people are around. Last one we had would chase my boys around the yard, He tasted good.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    I dont have any kids so im not concerned. when he comes after me I just punt him across the yard. figure ill keep him around just because of the predictors. that dumb sob aint skeered of anything.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yea.I know what'cha mean. Them predictors can be hell...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont have any kids so im not concerned. when he comes after me I just punt him across the yard. figure ill keep him around just because of the predictors. that dumb sob aint skeered of anything.

We had an old rooster back when we still had the farm. He would go after the bull and pigs. He thought he ruled the barnyard. We had to put a trash can over him when we wanted to clean the coop out. He got wise to that fast and would come after us when he saw the trash can. He got after my Dad one day and a shovel to the head was the end of him.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan

Though, to be fair, that's what you said about half of your college classes, too.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Most of the Rabbits I've seen people trying to free range, escaped and turned half wild quick. They seem to be escape artists anyway, if they can get their little bunny heads through a hole, the rest of the body will eventually follow. Most fences don't seem to slow them down much.

Generally if you don't want them around you can't get shut of them. If you want them to stay in the yard, you can't find them. I've had the kids scouring the neighborhood trying to find an escaped Rabbit and fail to find it. I've also had them show back up again, from a few days to a month or so later.

You also have to be a little watchful about what they eat. I've had them eat poison plants and die.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Heard of them being house broken. Just like a cat.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Heard of them being house broken. Just like a cat.

My Mother did that with a Dutch Rabbit, it was newspaper trained and followed her around the house like a dog.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    NO! You will ruin Easter for sure!
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only can they live together, but if the rabbits start to fight the chickens can break it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35uQCtr4EY
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have rabbits and chickens. My bunny cages are hung about 4 feet off the ground. I have covered the top of the cages so chicken poop doesn't end up on my rabbits or in their feeders. The chickens and rabbits are very used to each other but don't have physical contact. Chickens don't get out but are pretty much free range. Here in S. C. we got weeds year around, just winter weeds are different from summer weeds. Most every day I throw a bunch of weeds, grass clippings, etc. in with the chickens, hence, free range. Real dark orange egg yolks, yumm!

If your goal is to get rid of your rabbit(s), free range will get the job done for you. We all know there are exceptions to every rule but in most cases a tame bunny free ranging in your back yard wont make it very long. If the preditors don't get them coccsideosus will.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Regards,
    Chris

Why does anyone tolerate an aggressive rooster ???

I've raised chickens for 25 years and had some of the nicest, gentlest roosters that ever lived.
    Start off with two roosters, establish which one is the dominant aggressive one-- then get rid of him. Usually the one left will be a good rooster.
    As far as the pulled feathers, that's part of mating. That big bird has to have something to hold onto when he mounts the littler hen. It's not done out of aggression. They grab feathers and combs on the hen, it's part of the deal.
    If the hen isn't in the mood, she won't stick around. Kinda like humans... [;)]
    ~Chris
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    My chickens would eat rabbits.

LVF_1960-1.jpg

motivator2630319.jpg
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Depends on if you want chibbits or rabickens..............
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,992 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    LOL [:D]