In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Simple economy fix

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Get rid of all entitlements, all forms of welfare. Cancel Medicare for anyone who still has assets.

Military retired? Nope not unless you are 65. Military healthcare for non combat injuries Nope pay for it yourself.
Judge, legislator, city manager retirement after 20 years Nope back to work with your lazy butt.

Entitled NOPE. If we don't have the cash and we don't want to pay the taxes to pay for it then cancel it.
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    No More Hud Grants ....
    let those Houses Fall Down Around Those ol Peoples Ears And leave them To Freeze out in the Cold because they Worked Back in the Day that only left them With 600.00 Dollars a Month SS And No beenies.Times and Money Have Changed FAST Too FastYep that Will Help too
    Where Is the Line Here....
    Glad now My Mom And Dad Have Passed on they Would Not Have a Chance
    And they Were Hard Workers!!!!!!!!
    Woody[:(]
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Military healthcare for non combat injuries Nope pay for it yourself.

IMHO, you need to rethink that one. If it's service related (i.e. an accident during training) it should be covered. If it's not service related (i.e. something preceded by, "Hold my beer and watch this.") no pay.
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a better idea. All politicians at all levels have a 1 term limit, don't get paid for it, have no benefits, and have to abide by all laws they pass.

This means that whether good or bad, they won't be back next time. They will have to actually try to find and work a real job(s) like the rest of us, have to buy health insurance like the rest of us, and have to deal with their own laws like we do.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good start would be pay cuts for politicians from fed all the way down to local government. No secret service protection after they are out of office.
    Health care comes out of their pocket. Single term limits and no retirement.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about we get ourselves back on the gold standard and get government out of our hip pockets?[:(!] I think that would do more to help the economy than anything.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no economist but I'm pretty sure that the drafters of the Constitution had no intention of there ever being a phrase "career politician".
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    How about no taxpayer-funded vacations for the POTUS & tribe!
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I'm no economist but I'm pretty sure that the drafters of the Constitution had no intention of there ever being a phrase "career politician".

Most of the original leaders of the country were disgusted by politics, and only took on the role because they were the best people for the task. They did not seek power, they had it thrust upon them.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no more corporate welfare, farm subsides, oil company sweetheart leases.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Simple economy fix

There is no such thing. No economy as massive as the USA can be summed up with a simple fix.

The one biggest impact Americans could have though is to BUY MADE IN USA or leave it on the store shelf.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get rid of all entitlements, all forms of welfare. Cancel Medicare for anyone who still has assets.

Military retired? Nope not unless you are 65. Military healthcare for non combat injuries Nope pay for it yourself.
    Judge, legislator, city manager retirement after 20 years Nope back to work with your lazy butt.

Entitled NOPE. If we don't have the cash and we don't want to pay the taxes to pay for it then cancel it.

Pretty broad strokes there pal. Cut one problem you create another. Good luck getting people to give 20 years of their prime for the service without some sort of incentive. And you get hurt on the job while in the military dang skippy they better cover it. If you are part of the 1% you deserve everything and more. If you want those such awesome benefits I suggest you volunteer, but remember that includes combat zones, no sleep, no food, physical exhaustion, away from family members for weeks, months, years, no personal life, etc.

Really the problem is not as simple as saying cut congress' pay or cut welfare, its really not. Congress' pay is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of our budget, it would make a statement but nothing more. Cut welfare and prepare to spend more money in prisons and on other programs, so really pick your poison. What really needs to happen is a true budget reform where every single line item is looked and scrutinized, if it takes 2-3 years thats what it takes. Cutting items does not always mean a savings, but you can put restrictions on items or demand certain safety mechanisms to ensure abuse does not happen.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Disband the EPA, NEA, NSA, DHS, TSA, BATFE and FEMA. Institute a flat tax and disband the IRS.

Cut both houses of Congress' pay by half. Reduce all other federal employees' salary by half (excluding the military).
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Disband the EPA, NEA, NSA, DHS, TSA, BATFE and FEMA. Institute a flat tax and disband the IRS.

Cut both houses of Congress' pay by half. Reduce all other federal employees' salary by half (excluding the military).

Add the U. S. Department of Education and the first half of your solution could work, but we'll never know.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I served my country honorably that isn't the point if we didn't charge the generations that enjoyed the protection the taxes to pay for all these benefits than pay it today or default on it.
    TADA
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

Pretty broad strokes there pal. Cut one problem you create another. Good luck getting people to give 20 years of their prime for the service without some sort of incentive. And you get hurt on the job while in the military dang skippy they better cover it. If you are part of the 1% you deserve everything and more. If you want those such awesome benefits I suggest you volunteer, but remember that includes combat zones, no sleep, no food, physical exhaustion, away from family members for weeks, months, years, no personal life, etc.

Really the problem is not as simple as saying cut congress' pay or cut welfare, its really not. Congress' pay is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of our budget, it would make a statement but nothing more. Cut welfare and prepare to spend more money in prisons and on other programs, so really pick your poison. What really needs to happen is a true budget reform where every single line item is looked and scrutinized, if it takes 2-3 years thats what it takes. Cutting items does not always mean a savings, but you can put restrictions on items or demand certain safety mechanisms to ensure abuse does not happen.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Very nice to speculate, but the House and Senate would never relinquish their power or authority. That would put them out of the headlines and no more lavish spending on themselves.

Nice to dream, too bad it will never happen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simple really. I mean we came up with billions to bail out wall street, Fannie mae Freddie Mac and GM right. Many foks say that moeny go tpaid back but not all of it and even so it was a float to prevent them from going broke. Should have let them.
    I think if you promise benefits regardless if it is military federal state or corporate then you have to fund it no defer the cost to the next generation.
    Since NO ONE wants to actually pay the tax required to fund all these promises cancel them.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster

I have been a fan of the flat tax for a while. It needs to be set around 8-10%, no deductions no credits not nothing. The IRS wouldnt seize to exist but would be a fraction of what it is today. people could save time by not filing.

Cutting federal employees pay by half, again you get what you pay for. To many equate the politicians with regular every day employees. Those every day people ensure troops are supported, air planes dont fall out of the sky, give you your SS checks. Cut their pay in half and you will have more problems. Do a little research and you'll find that comparative jobs in the private sector actually pay a lot more in most but not all instances.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by mogley98

If you want to delay Military retirement, you MUST abandon the all volunteer force and go back to the draft.

The other problem deals with mandatory retirement at 55 for military unless you are a general officer.

I think the best solution is to cut the non military govt workforce in half. Problem we have right now is the average federal employee makes much more than the average worker.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Term limitations. If it is good for the highest office in the land it should be good for all elected officials.