In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A modest theory.....

Old.22BoltsOld.22Bolts Member Posts: 6,032
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
We all know that in the not so distance future
cars will drive themselves to the destination we choose.....

I was wondering how "they" are going to get the hard-core
type people to give up that steering wheel.....

My first thought was most people will gladly give it up
just for convenience sake. Plus most of the younger
generations are push-buttons fanatics anyway......

Here is the theory: Gas Prices will eliminate any and all
"excessive or unnecessary" driving and computer driven
cars will be highly efficient. I also believe families will
have vehicles specific for each type of travel......

What say ye........

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The governments computer will read the GPS in your car and you will type in your desired destination and your reason; then if the computer authorizes the car to operate it will open the ignition much in the same way the chip in your ignition key works. When traffic gets too heavy or you haven't made the appropriate donation to the dominant political party, then you sit in your driveway.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we are seeing the beginning , insurance company's will monitor your driving habits , speed and time on the road , area your driving in adjust your rate its happening now as a volunteer , the government and states have hinted a tax on miles driven due to more efficient cars leas gas used ( yea remember to save money and oil ) well there loosing tax dollars so now it will be X amount for each mile or each minute your car is running . to make up for it so no loss to them just a different way to get the money were "saving "
    I can see it as tracking device the Law wants you well your car will tell them your driving and location come and get me , just a few of the high lights
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Shouldn't be too difficult to type in my
    destination: The town transfer station and the town
    feed store. The wife...a different story
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I predict travel will be very easy.

From one checkpoint to the next.[xx(]
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I predict that self driving cars will allow those so inclined to apply makeup, lipstick, comb their hair, do their nails, and talk on their phones much more.

Of course women already do that, so that's no surprise. [:0]
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see this future but think we are still a few decades away. More than likely like anything else manufactures will just only make that type of vehicle and over time old vehicles will just be go to die quietly.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats funny I was just thinking of an app that would broadcast muscle car sounds for electric cars.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to dumb down millions more by making it easier to go collect welfare and fifty other benefits...how long before one working is supporting 15-20 who are not....
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Pot will be legalized in all States. Accidents will rise.

Dems/Libs will find that Personal Transportation should be/is a "Right".

Combine those, and the Gummint will have to take Ownership of all Transportation, on grounds of " Safety" - (No One can argue against Safety, and besides, Government Motors needs to be kept in business by selling to Government!)

This will fit well with Agenda 21, only supplying little minimalist meep-meeps, too small for adults massing over 200 pounds, and allowing for * recognition software to lock the car and transport "Enemies of the State" to Detention Facilities.

Fortunately, in view of the efficiencies of our gummint, I will be long dead by full implementation:-D
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    Pot will be legalized in all States. Accidents will rise.

Dems/Libs will find that Personal Transportation should be/is a "Right".

Combine those, and the Gummint will have to take Ownership of all Transportation, on grounds of " Safety" - (No One can argue against Safety, and besides, Government Motors needs to be kept in business by selling to Government!)

This will fit well with Agenda 21, only supplying little minimalist meep-meeps, too small for adults massing over 200 pounds, and allowing for * recognition software to lock the car and transport "Enemies of the State" to Detention Facilities.

Fortunately, in view of the efficiencies of our gummint, I will be long dead by full implementation:-D

The federal government sold all of their shares of GM stock before Christmas 2013, to the tune of around a $10 billion loss for the American taxpayers.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I predict I will be long gone before the rest of you have to put up with that crap.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it gets to be like that, the gov. will control where and when we can go and limit us to the amount of miles we can travel. Probably have to submit an itinerary to be approved before each trip. They will call it Obamadrive.[}:)]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They'd do better to control fuel sales if they wanted to control movement.

There are many of us who will not give up our "dumb" vehicles.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a common sense measure to help protect the children, in the future, if you want to drive a vehicle that is NOT on automatic control-

There will be a 3 day waiting period for the purchase of fuel.

Fuel tanks will be limited to 7 gallons or less.

Purchase of auto parts will require a VOID (Vehicle Owner's ID Card)

Transfer of a vehicle with "military" features, such as 4WD, a winch, brushguards, or the thing that goes up over will require approval of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Vehicles.

Of course, any automatic transmission made after 1986 cannot be transferred to a private citizen.

Anyway, there is government operated transportation, and nobody NEEDS their own vehicle.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Here is the theory: Gas Prices will eliminate any and all
    "excessive or unnecessary" driving

That has pretty much happened in my case. I used to enjoy tooling around in the truck and just sight seeing not anymore, even at $1.50 a gal it was not so bad. But gas prices have doubled since 2007. Thanks Obama[xx(]
    RLTW

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I predict I will be long gone before the rest of you have to put up with that crap.
    Same here.