In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shameless plug M1 WWII Springfield

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
I have about ten M1s lined up that I need to sell, so there is no point wasting any time getting them listed:
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=487838626

100_0253_zpsehobugrc.jpg
100_0254_zpslow0qyhm.jpg

This is another of the rifles everyone likes; very good condition WWII M1 with a nice condition barrel. The wood on this particular rifle is quite nice and shows very little handling. If I was going to pick an M1 out for myself, I'd be looking at this one.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I still have a few more Filed Grade M1s to dispose of and another has just been listed:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=490498057

100_0307_zpsx8mhv2ds.jpg
    100_0308_zps5elysdbn.jpg
    100_0309_zpsnmtxgboj.jpg

This is another mid war rifle in good shape, but certainly nothing fancy. The barrel is original, has good readings and plenty of life left in it. Someone got a little carried away with a pocket knife and carved their initials into the stock...But that's why there is sandpaper [;)].
    100_0324_zpswx21flln.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a long line of M1s that I need to keep moving out of here and I just listed another this evening:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491821553

This is an interesting rifle. It is mid war (early 1943) and still has some of it's original parts, as well as the original barrel.

100_0336_zpsbkh7zh3e.jpg
    100_0335_zpsxiq13jgv.jpg
    100_0337_zpsacf6gxcd.jpg

The wood is in petty good shape and the overall condition of the rifle is very good, although I don't care for the glossy gas cylinder. One of the interesting things about the rifle is the targeting information that was taped into the bottom of the trigger housing:
    100_0353_zps8rn9f6ug.jpg

Someone was actually issued this rifle and they were shooting it regularly enough to make a notation of the needed sight adjustments. Maybe I stumbled onto Kimi's old M1 [;)]

In any case, it is a nice WWII era rifle with the original barrel that still has plenty of life left in it, and it has some pretty good looking wood.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up three more M1s last week and I need to start moving them:
    SA34742_zps47837f88.jpg
    SA34741_zps676ed11b.jpg

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452240548

This is a late war rifle with a nice condition WWII barrel and a pretty good looking set of USGI wood. It would meet the CMP classification of Field Grade. I just want to turn it, so I am starting the auction at the same price it would cost to buy a Field Grade M1 sight unseen for the CMP: $595. In this case you get to see what you will get ahead of time, you are assured of a WWII era rifle and you don't have to wait months for delivery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To kick off 2017, I have a good looking mid war rifle listed this evening:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/612304953

101_0001_zps5k7otj2m.jpg
    101_0002_zpsxv4iwgpw.jpg
    101_0004_zpsuru4r4pk.jpg

This is a solid rifle. It shows normal wear, but the barrel is good, making it a great choice for taking out in the field. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    I read over the listing. National Match I can figure out, but what is a narrow base? and why do I want one on my gas cylinder?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A valid question. M1s with standard "Gas Port" cylinders (the earliest M1s used a totally different gas system) up to serial number 1.6 million had a front sight base that was 1/2" wide, or the width of the front sight itself. There was no real allowance for adjustment, so the front sight screw was actually sealed at the factory by a thin metal cap, which are nearly impossible to find intact now a days. Starting in early 1943, the width of the base was increased by about 1/10". This, and the elimination of the metal cap, allowed for the front sight to be adjusted on it's dovetail out in the field. Winchester didn't make the switch until several months later, but from that point on, all M1s from all manufacturers used the wider base. Early narrow bases aren't better, they are just harder to find.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    I think that most of us learn something new everytime you post. Any chance of you listing a few H&Rs? We seem to be seeing all WWII Springfields.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:I][:I][:I] Thank you. I like to imagine that I'm passing along some useful information.

Right now, all I seem to be able to find on the resale market are WWII era rifles. This is not a bad thing. WWII rifles are popular with buyers who want an M1 and a genuine piece of WWII history, so they sell easily and for decent money...Sometimes big money [:p].

I have a few HRAs waiting in the wings, but I still have several more WWII Springfield's to plow through, including two nice examples with six digit serial numbers. Summer is a slow gun selling season so I don't know if I'll get the HRAs listed before I go on vacation in September.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This photo gives a good view of the wide base:
    100_0107_zpsn5qrye0u.jpg

A narrow base dovetail would fit exactly flush with the width of the front sight.
    100_0348_zpskvhmlthy.jpg
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,110 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another nice one.