In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Compact .380

The FedThe Fed Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
I need a compact .380 that works the firing pin every time you pull the trigger, without the need to pull back on the slide a little to reset the trigger. What's out there?

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm quite fond of this little pocket gun, S&W Bodyguard .380. DA only, I've only fired 50 rounds though it so far so I'm not able to give a true performance report other than it went bang all 50 times.

1ebbc6dd-8aa1-4d5c-ba85-8df380b173c1_zps16d30ac8.jpg
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think what you are asking for is a DAO {double action only} gun.
    is that correct???

If so I think the NAA Guardian is DAO.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds more like he wants a gun with a second strike capability if he gets a bad primer. I know Taurus has some semi auto with that capability but they are compact 9mm. Other choices are the S&W and NAA. But imo second strike is never even been needed by me in centerfire defense guns if using quality ammo. If that primer does not set off the first time then it doesn't take but an instant to clear it. If you pull the trigger again and just hear click then you just wasted more time. Taurus also makes a revolver in .380 that has second strike.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    Ruger LCP,,,[^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Kahr 380 doesn't have true dao action, I don't believe it will double strike a primer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    Sounds more like he wants a gun with a second strike capability if he gets a bad primer. I know Taurus has some semi auto with that capability but they are compact 9mm. Other choices are the S&W and NAA. But imo second strike is never even been needed by me in centerfire defense guns if using quality ammo. If that primer does not set off the first time then it doesn't take but an instant to clear it. If you pull the trigger again and just hear click then you just wasted more time. Taurus also makes a revolver in .380 that has second strike.

+10000
    My standard "drill" for a miss fire in any auto, is to slam the mag into the gun again, then jack a NEW round into the chamber, then pull the trigger.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Ruger LCP,,,[^][^]

I love my LCP but they do not have 2nd strike capability. They are a hybrid double action auto that once the slide is racked the hammer is put into a partially cocked mode til the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. When the hammer falls the motion of the slide recocks it.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beretta is coming out with a pocket .380. It's called the Pico. It has a slide lock and adjustable sights. I plan on getting one to replace my Kel tec
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I have no idea what you are asking about.
    What is your experience to date?
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I should have explained why. I bought the Laserlyte laser training cartridge and Reaction Tyme targets. They work great but because my present .380 doesn't have second strike capability I need to reset the trigger for every shot for the laser will work. It doesn't need to be a late-model pistol either - I'm flexible. Just want compact with real sights.

Does anyone have a PPK/S or Sig? Perhaps one has SSC?
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Ruger LCP,,,[^][^]

I love my LCP but they do not have 2nd strike capability. They are a hybrid double action auto that once the slide is racked the hammer is put into a partially cocked mode til the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. When the hammer falls the motion of the slide recocks it.
    Yes,you are right,I stand corrected. [:)][:)]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Taurus TCP is a near clone to the Ruger LCP but has a slide lock and is about $100 cheaper. So far it works fine for me.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doesn't have SSC.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig Sauer P238.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd also say LCP.

You can pull the trigger again if need be. But every time I've pulled the trigger, it's went boom!

Sights are not going to let you shoot squirrels or anything, but close in its OK and size wise, it makes a nice summer gun - easy to conceal when clothing won't hide much.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Sig Sauer P238.
    Jake the Sig 238 (and 938) are SA pistols...
    You have to cock the hammer by slide or thumb before you can pull the trigger.

He wants a DA pistol... Pull the trigger it cocks the hammer or firing pin...
    As well as fires when the hammer is thumbed or cocked by the slide.

The DAO will ONLY fire when you pull the trigger...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That S&W is a DA only and is a second strike setup.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Walther PPK.

and its value priced South American clone the Bersa. I have 2 one in .380 and one in .45

solid shooters, and pretty accurate. (and neither have ever not gone BANG on the first pull (unless the chamber was empty to start with...)duh)
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    I'm quite fond of this little pocket gun, S&W Bodyguard .380. DA only, I've only fired 50 rounds though it so far so I'm not able to give a true performance report other than it went bang all 50 times.

1ebbc6dd-8aa1-4d5c-ba85-8df380b173c1_zps16d30ac8.jpg
    My son sometimes carries one one of these as his off duty weapon and he seems to like it.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    I like my Colt Pony Pocketlite. Long out of production, but it is light, compact, holds 7 rounds, and it works every time. And it will do a second, or third strike.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a Bodyguard .380 or PPK/S that can see if the firing pin falls every time merely by pulling the trigger without resetting the trigger by moving the slide? Most of the reviews don't address this, and ones that do are not clear.

I think the older Colt Pocketlight does but I'm pretty sure the new one, along with the Sig do not. You know how it is nowadays, they design guns for dummies so they don't hurt themselves.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have been carrying my Ruger LCP and love it. I put it in my front pocket and forget it is there. Goes boom every time and will shoot any and all 380 out there. I have put over 100 rounds thru it with no problems. 100 rounds isn't much but for this gun and its intended purpose but 100 is enough to know how reliable it is.

The only problem with carrying it in your pocket is pocket lint. Gotta check the barrel every so often.[8D]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by The Fed
    I guess I should have explained why. I bought the Laserlyte laser training cartridge and Reaction Tyme targets. They work great but because my present .380 doesn't have second strike capability I need to reset the trigger for every shot for the laser will work. It doesn't need to be a late-model pistol either - I'm flexible. Just want compact with real sights.

Does anyone have a PPK/S or Sig? Perhaps one has SSC?
    For what your looking for a used AMT Backup may work
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    Sig Sauer P238.
    Jake the Sig 238 (and 938) are SA pistols...
    You have to cock the hammer by slide or thumb before you can pull the trigger.

He wants a DA pistol... Pull the trigger it cocks the hammer or firing pin...
    As well as fires when the hammer is thumbed or cocked by the slide.

The DAO will ONLY fire when you pull the trigger...

Simple solution: Carry cocked and locked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by The Fed
    Does anyone have a Bodyguard .380 or PPK/S that can see if the firing pin falls every time merely by pulling the trigger without resetting the trigger by moving the slide? Most of the reviews don't address this, and ones that do are not clear.

I think the older Colt Pocketlight does but I'm pretty sure the new one, along with the Sig do not. You know how it is nowadays, they design guns for dummies so they don't hurt themselves.

I have the Bodyguard 380, you can see the hammer and when you pull the trigger the hammer comes back and falls every time. I smashed a primer in a spent shell by dropping the hammer on it numerous times without racking the slide. The Bodyguard works like a revolver without the cylinder turn, pull the trigger and the hammer comes back and drops.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll stick with my S&W 36 5 shot 38Special revolver. If more than 5 is needed to neutralize a threat, it would indicate a need for more range time.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Bersa 380 that is just perfect for Me.

Thunder-380-mat-L-hires_zps3d7b65b4.jpg
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Care to explain how "cocked and locked" provides 2nd strike capability?
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

Care to explain how "cocked and locked" provides 2nd strike capability?

Crickets!