In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Movie: "THE ROAD". The real meltdown reality?

WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
I just watched "The Road".

It is a post nuke scenario but what is different here is it is not a glamorous good guy beats evil bad guys, demons, machines etc it actually takes place about ten years later, after the nukes.

Imagine if the whole world ended and there was nothing.
No food grown (impossible with nuke winter), no life stock, no civilization at all.

We like to talk about being prepared, have a bug out trailer (to where?) have plenty of food where some can last 6 months, a year maybe 2 or 3 years.
Now what ever you can last to think about a year after that and then 5 years later.
Clouds always, cannibalism is the main food supply.

That is the jest of this depressing movie.
No glory, no fun, no good ending, no hope.

It is sobering.

Wulfmann
3YUCmbB.jpg
"Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
Otto von Bismarck

Comments

• Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    People the other other other white meat..[:)]
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann

It is a post nuke scenario

It is not.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think its a post-nuke scenario...

if nuclear winter was so bad that nothing grew 10 years after the war, I really doubt that there would be too many people left to resort to cannibalism and/or be the victims.
    Most would die in the initial bombardment (preferable way to go in such a war), most of the rest would succumb to radiation poisoning. Only those with NBC-filtered and shielded shelters and who could stay in such a shelter for many months would have a chance to avoid the fallout.

MR PRESIDENT! WE MUST NOT ALLOW A MINE SHAFT GAP!!!
  • Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    We just watched it about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was one of the most off the wall movies of all times.

After the movie I had a feeling I've never had. Kinda like after a good action/adventure movie your pumped, but it wasn't that. It was depressing for sure with a mix of something else, of which I don't know what.

Not recommended.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    I thought it was one of the most off the wall movies of all times.

After the movie I had a feeling I've never had.

Yeah, it definitely moves something within ya...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky

It is not.

It is

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1

It is not.

[black]It is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road

The Road is a 2006 novel by American writer Cormac McCarthy. It is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey taken by a father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed all civilization and, apparently, almost all life on earth. The novel was awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(film) <-- well, due to the genius of IT that runs this wonderful resource, you'll have to C&P this link, it's unclickable.

The Road shares the premise of the novel on which it is based: a father (Mortensen) and his young son (Smit-McPhee) struggle to survive a number of years after an unspecified, devastating cataclysm has destroyed civilization, killed all plant and animal life, and obscured the sun; only remnants of mankind remain alive, reduced to scavenging or cannibalism.

It was anything but a nuclear post-apoclyptic story. It was done so on purpose as the cataclysm itself is of no consequence. How you dreamed up nuclear cataclysm, I think, you yourself don't even know.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it worse or better than Book of Eli with Denzel Washington? I was a little disappointed in that flick--which has a family of cannibals as well.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My assumption is that it was a volcano, no where in either the book or movie does it mention a nuke or volcano, its just that volcano is far more likely for many reasons. Read the book once and saw the movie twice, I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a movie Dr. Kevorkian would show continuously in his waiting room if he had one.
  • Options
    edited November -1

It is not.

It is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road

The Road is a 2006 novel by American writer Cormac McCarthy. It is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey taken by a father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed all civilization and, apparently, almost all life on earth. The novel was awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(film) <-- well, due to the genius of IT that runs this wonderful resource, you'll have to C&P this link, it's unclickable.

The Road shares the premise of the novel on which it is based: a father (Mortensen) and his young son (Smit-McPhee) struggle to survive a number of years after an unspecified, devastating cataclysm has destroyed civilization, killed all plant and animal life, and obscured the sun; only remnants of mankind remain alive, reduced to scavenging or cannibalism.

It was anything but a nuclear post-apoclyptic story. It was done so on purpose as the cataclysm itself is of no consequence. How you dreamed up nuclear cataclysm, I think, you yourself don't even know.

So, it could have been the result of the Obama administration???

The idea in the movie is of massive explosions and while it did not say how the OP thought was after any such event years go by and all those that think they are prepared with their stash, their gold, their canned goods and bug out truck loaded with camping gear well this just kind of suggested in such a real case we are friggin doomed.

Picking on what caused it is not the point of the OP

Now, assuming an end of the world mass destruction of fiery explosions was a nuke attack, well can't imagine how I dreamt that up, what was I thinking? It obviously was something like a plaque or flu virus, duh, silly me

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Why do people believe that the way things are, is the way they've always been.

10,000 years of history where man lived pretty much one way.

150 years of industrial revolution, and suddenly we can't survive without all this modern stuff?

Funny.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dark very dark

no literally it's a black movie. Day time is dark. I got really annoyed and pissed. It didn't show in the projector well at 6 p.m. with the evening sun beaming through the front door window.
  • Options
    GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    The movie sucked.

The book was much better. I read it in 2 evenings, I couldn't put it down.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taking into account the context clues (ash all over) I believed it was a volcano, also. Book was very vague in that aspect.

It did however give me a greater resolve to keep on preppin'[;)]
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read the book and saw the movie. Didn't really care for either. Dark is a good way to look at it.

Figure the the boy was 8 to 10 years old and born at the start of the catastrophic event. That's a long time to have stored food for with no growing season.
  • Options
    edited November -1

The idea in the movie is of massive explosions

Where in the book or the movie did you get it from?
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Movie sucked
    +100
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Everything is being discussed but the point.

It matters not if it was a volcano, a nuke war, a fart or kids playing with matches.

The point was this.

It is a world ending situation, one where life is nearly wiped off the face of the earth.
    The guys that tout their 6 month supply of canned beef and bottled water or even the Mormon with a 2 year supply can not be prepared for this dark a scenario.

I agree the movie was no fun and was dark day and night and there were aspects that did not make sense.
    Seems like no matter how far they traveled the same cannibals were near by.
    Then they had large fires every night!
    Wouldn't those same bad guys notice the fires???

I did not post to argue over how the apocalypse occurred or how many stars the movie deserves, don't care, irrelevant (well, this whole topic is irrelevant[:D])

It was just an observation on the fact a world ending nightmare can not be prepped for.

Fact is not a single reply to the intent of the thread.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wulf most think it is more fun to argue, than answer. In reality either way as someone else stated you would either die in the initial disaster or starve within the first year, or be killed by wandering looters. not a happy future by any means.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It was just an observation on the fact a world ending nightmare can not be prepped for.

Fact is not a single reply to the intent of the thread.

Wulfmann

Still you need to be prepared for whatever (job loss, earthquake, flood, fire, economic depression, etc). Have something set to the side. Have skills and training for the just in case.

Always be prepared.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    pigs and goats are bad enoughquote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    People the other other other white meat..[:)]
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big clue in the beginning, where Viggo and the boy are walking past a HUGE crater.

Not a caldera, not a bomb crater (which, assuming it was nuke, would still be red hot...radioactively speaking, even after 10 years)

Meteors, my friends, Meteors.
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Dark & depressing. Who would think that Spam could be worth ten times it's weight in gold?
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only way I see something like in the movie or book happening, honestly, is if the military or some eggheads with a God complex accidentally released some sort of engineered virus that destroyed all plant life (or maybe an anti-bacterial virus that killed soil bacteria instead of its intended target, like MRSA or drug-resistant TB) so there would be no way to preserve plant life and animal life would follow in the circle of death.

In a nuke scenario severe enough to cause a 10 year nuclear winter, I think a lot more people would be dead from the getgo (either from the blasts, or from radiation sickness)

technically speaking, I believe even a super-volcano or "global killer" asteroid impact would be survivable for humanity, even as a society. However it would require some difficult choices and fast action. Provided that the region in question was not devastated by the primary effects of the volcano or spacerock, a % of the population could survive very well by using nuclear power plants to create "colony oases" growing food crops under artificial light, etc.
    The question is how would the government (or maybe at this point private warlords) pick a cadre of engineers, scientists, farmers, machinists, etc. to survive and how would they protect them and their assets from those left behind, who would surely attack the "colonies".
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do some research on the Yellowstone Caldera. If that big ol' boy goes, kiss it goodbye.