In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    This cops appearance does not help him. He looks like a thug. But I would like to see actual video of this. Stills can be deceiving. Drunk guys throwing bottles at cops, resisting arrest, and refusing to comply with cops demands to restore order, I don't know. If the kid was smart enough to know pictures were being taken, he could have been playing this into a payday. He may have been squirming around, not visible in the stills, and needed to be controlled. The officer may have just been holding his neck to keep him from moving around (generally a bad idea, the shoulders would have been better). No indication the guy was injured and needed any medical treatment. Having been in many riot situations myself, I know that many people play to the cameras. Screaming, crying, falling on the ground in pain, I have seen some academy award winning performances. Video and injuries to his neck visible in a booking photo would help me decide on this.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Looks like sheriff jones did the right thing.

Had him an investigation, reviewed the evidence, and made a decision.

Good for him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

Good for him.

That could be, the officer may very well have deserved to be fired. The other officers present may have given statements that proved his wrongdoing.
  • Options
    burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the 2 other so call "officers" involved have been put on leave because of filling false reports. Stated the kid was resiting arrest and had to be subdued. Then the photos showed up.
    2 of the 3 popos involved have a not so good history with a few reprimands involving excessive force and civil rights violations, one which cost the County of KNOX many thousands of taxpayer dollars.
    The 145# kid was an award winning architect scholar who help design a custom wheelchair for a severely mangled war vet.
    Im local to this.

Us against them mentality..............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burchie
    Actually, the 2 other so call "officers" involved have been put on leave because of filling false reports. Stated the kid was resiting arrest and had to be subdued. Then the photos showed up.
    2 of the 3 popos involved have a not so good history with a few reprimands involving excessive force and civil rights violations, one which cost the County of KNOX many thousands of taxpayer dollars.
    The 145# kid was an award winning architect scholar who help design a custom wheelchair for a severely mangled war vet.
    Im local to this.

Most of "us" do not get drunk, throw bottles at the police, and refuse to obey police commands when rioting. Hope he learns to use better judgment before he gets in more serious trouble.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    quote:Originally posted by burchie
    Im local to this.

Most of "us" do not get drunk, throw bottles at the police, and refuse to obey police commands when rioting. Hope he learns to use better judgment before he gets in more serious trouble.

You mean the cop, right?
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the animated GIF, admittedly a somewhat limited source of evidence, the choking comes after the two officers start handcuffing the fellow. By the look of things, the guy is standing still and the cop comes over and starts choking him.

It always amazes me in these situations that NONE of the other cops do anything or say anything. You've got one cop choking somebody and none of the other cops say, "Hey, Larry, take it easy" or just tap him on the arm or anything.
  • Options
    burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the commits fellows.
    It can be spun anyway one wants it, but the facts remain. The record of this Former officer is tainted. Including a demotion from patrol sargent to patrol officer because of blatantly disobeying a command captain orders, when he put his officers in grave danger. Also denied that they abused a small frame teenager with false arrests 'cause "They were just haveing a little fun", until an unnamed source at the KCSO gave the in-car video to a local media outlet and it went viral.
    Was he the kinda (officer)you want to work along side of?
    What if that was your son being choked?
    And lastly, why was his radio turned of during the confrontation?
    Maybe so an attorney could not subpena the recording?
    Bad cop. Records and pictures dont lie.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Good for him.

Even that isn't enough for some around here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I always ignore police commands when I'm rioting.

Otherwise, it's not a riot. It's just loitering.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Good for him.

May well have deserved to be fired. But no one made a complaint against the officer, and he was fired less than 24 hours after the pictures were published and the investigation was started. Pretty quick work for "investigation, reviewed the evidence, and made a decision". The sheriff is up for re-election and voting is a month away. No time to waste.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wonder if the sheriff's van got a ticket for parking in a tow away zone.

It's pretty clearly marked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wonder if the sheriff's van got a ticket for parking in a tow away zone.

It's pretty clearly marked.
    Just noticed the sheriff has his name on the police vehicle. First time I have seen that.
  • Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigoutside: that there was funny as h---[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dyer_Maker
    Bigoutside: that there was funny as h---[:D]

I hate to see an unstirred pot. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Good for him.

May well have deserved to be fired. But no one made a complaint against the officer, and he was fired less than 24 hours after the pictures were published and the investigation was started. Pretty quick work for "investigation, reviewed the evidence, and made a decision". The sheriff is up for re-election and voting is a month away. No time to waste.

Sorry about that. I can see how my comment could be taken either way. I was thinking "even a sheriff investigating and firing one of his officers isn't enough evidence of misconduct for those who say things like 'stills can be deceiving.' "
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Bad cop, should be on the other side of the badge. What he did looks like assault and battery. His firing should have been followed by his own arrest and prosecution.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I always ignore police commands when I'm rioting.

Otherwise, it's not a riot. It's just loitering.

[:D][:D] Loitering with intent to be disgruntled.