In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is their boss crazy?

Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
OK here is the story,

I was working in a Kitchen I sometimes get assigned to so I know the staff there. We're blowing out their wents this week. It's a cafe at an institution. So the suppervisor a kid named Rodney was telling me they close at 7:00 PM and they have to put any re usable food away, label it, take temps for the frides, clean all the serving hot trays, clean the grill, wipe all the tables, take out all the trash, Wash all pots and pans, the whole nine yards. If you ever worked in a kitchen you know the drill. So they close at 7:00 and the new boss who took over told them he expects everything to be clean and he wants the staff of 5 who are still there after 7:00 to be done and clocked out by 7:30 never mind a party can walk in at 6:59 and have to be served.

So my question is, is their boss insane? Is he setting the bar high to make sure they get out asap? Or does he expect them to falsify their time cards?

Some of the crew was gone by 8,8:30 and the supervisor was gone at 9:30. I said it's way past 7:30 and he said, "Exactly" implying there was nothing he could do to get out any erlier.

Comments

• Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is crazy.
    My last boss was crazy. The estimator screwed the pooch in labor ($100,000+) on a job and said he could do it in that time,
    but dared him and he never came out and proved it. The owner took his side but never came out and tried to do what
    my crew was doing.
    Even though my shop crew got the job done in time we were never given an "at a boy", just you should have gotten
    it done faster. The job site is waiting on you. Yet we knew we were weeks ahead of the job site.
    It was proved by how long our completed fabrication was stored in the shop.
    Then we were all slowly laid off over a 3 month period. I was the last because they needed me to be the load master
    for shipping 2 other jobs 75 and 250 miles from the shop.

Okay I am ranting again. Do that when I get tired.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So how does one deal with such a boss? I think this kind of crazy thinking is catching on with more and more managers.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    My philosophy was always to try to complete the mission despite the boss.
    I've seen it many places, management drives the employees instead of leading. The employees start cutting corners, it adds up and comes back to bite them in the rear eventually, Then the blame game starts.